Throw me a rope.

Re: The Kindle Books and Resources List

Post by Impenitent »

Kindle specials today:

Deerskin by Robin McKinley $1.99

The Curse of the Pharaohs (Amelia Peabody bk2) by Elizabeth Peters $2.99

Whose Body? (1st Lord Peter Wimsey mystery) by Dorothy Sayers $0.99

The Five Red Herrings (book 5) by Dorothy Sayers $1.99

Sent from a tiny phone keyboard via Tapatalk - typos inevitable.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I bought the Peabody one. Thanks, Imp!!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

There's a new Vorkosigan novella: The Flowers of Voshnoi, $3.99

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

The first Expanse book is $3 on Kindle today.

Also, ROTK was free for Kindle owners this weekend, and may be still. This is a loan rather than a permanent free book, but you don't have to return it until you exceed the limit of how many books you can borrow, and you can return any borrowed book.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Octavia Butler's Lilith's Brood trilogy on Kindle for $4 for all 3 books. I've never heard of it, but apparently it's a classic?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Is it? Can anyone recommend it?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I haven’t read these, but she was a brilliant writer of both fantasy and SF—the only SF writer ever to be awarded a MacArthur “genius grant.” She was also a pioneer as a black woman writing in the genre, and her characters and stories are enriched by black history and culture.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

The summary, combined with Prim's recommendation, sold it to me.

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Other black women writing SFF I can recommend are Nnedi Orokafor and N. K. Jemisin. This year Jemisin became the first writer, of any gender or color, ever to win the Hugo for Best Novel three years in a row—for all three books in a trilogy. And it is a damn fine trilogy, heartbreakingly good. Starts with The Fifth Season. Orokafor is acclaimed for a YA(ish—it skews older for me) trilogy beginning with Binti, about a young woman coming of age in a future Nigeria and later in space; I liked it a lot. The first book won the Hugo for Best Novella in 2016, the same year The Fifth Season took Best Novel.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

The Fifth Season and Binti have just been added to my amazon cart! Can't wait!
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I hope you like them! One friend I tried The Fifth Season on handed it back in a few days, saying she couldn't read it—it was too sad, too harsh.

It is sad and harsh, but not cruel—there's love and humor in it, too. The trilogy is set on a world that goes regularly through civilization-destroying geological disasters. The people are humans, though some have powers that let them control or even block earthquakes and other threats. Because this ability is essential to preserving life and civilization, those who manifest such powers are kept under rigid control and trained from childhood, through pain, to obey those without the power. They don't own their lives; they're enslaved. Because their powers are frightening and can be used to kill, they are hated. This is a trilogy about slavery, and about the healing of the Earth, and about a woman seeking her daughter in the middle of an apocalypse. It can be harrowing, but the through line of the story is about love and healing. (There's a mystery, too—only hinted at in the first book, but gaining weight and dimension as the story goes on.)
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

On my Amazon wishlist; I have to pce myself, financially-speaking.

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I certainly understand this.

I read these on Kindle, but then bought the entire trilogy as physical books, because I want to put them on my shelf. But (as a writer) I can deduct all book purchases, electronic or physical, from my taxes, so it's an easier choice for me.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Impenitent wrote:On my Amazon wishlist; I have to pce myself, financially-speaking.
Tell me about it. I’m still smarting from buying one Expanse book after another (gives a look to Prim).
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Awww, gee. *shuffles feet*

The next one doesn’t come out until March, and there’s only one more after that.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I put a moratorium on buying new books after I made a list of my to read pile. And then I bought the first Witcher book.

elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Read Binti last night. Wow! Definitely left me wanting more! (and not just cause it was short LOL)
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It’s a trilogy! I’ve read all three and highly recommend them. Really it’s a novel in three parts.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Primula Baggins wrote:Awww, gee. *shuffles feet*

The next one doesn’t come out until March, and there’s only one more after that.
I thought the March was the final one. Cool!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

So, the Silmarillion is $2.99 on US Kindle today. On my phone or would post a link—sorry!