Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell and Piranesi

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Re: Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell and Piranesi

Post by Jude »

My reserved library copy of Piranesi has just arrived. And not a moment too soon! We're re-entering lockdown next week and all libraries will be closed again.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I'll be interested to see whether you like it. It is definitely a unique work.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I’m interested to see if I read it it in physical form will I consume it differently. I suspect so.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

I do hope you give it another chance.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Well, I thought it was a great book. Once it got going, it was difficult to put down.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Ditto. I couldn’t put it down either.

But it left me deflated.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

It left me strangely exhilerated.

Jude, I'm glad you liked it!
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Just finished Piranesi (it didn't take long). Still settling, but I'm pretty sure I liked it a lot. "Astonishing" is the right word.
Voronwë the Faithful

I agree that is an appropriate word.

I'm glad that you (probably) liked it a lot!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Grumble.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Here's an event that may be of interest.
5x15 presents: Neil Gaiman and Susanna Clarke
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Is anyone else attending that Gaiman & Clarke event?
Voronwë the Faithful

Depending on whether the timing works for me, I would like to. I'm not sure yet.
Voronwë the Faithful

Code: Select all

https://www.facebook.com/jonathanstrangeandmrnorrellofficialpage/posts/2891846347732447
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I'll read through this thread and see if it answers a few of my many questions regarding the book (Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell). I can't imagine how it is that the Raven King/John Uskglass is still alive. Also, I read the book on my kindle in a different platform than usual and the footnotes were a disruptive process to try to .. not necessarily get but return to my previous spot so I skipped many of them thinking I'd read them at the end but then the kindle version disappeared on me (magic?? :shock: ) and it left me with many gaps.

Is Piranesi written in a similar style?
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

It's been a while, but from memory Piranesi is in a completely different style.

Her collection of short stories, "The Ladies of Grace Adieu" is written in a similar style to Strange & Norrell.
Voronwë the Faithful

Pirensi is completely different from JS&MN. While I agree that The Ladies of Grace Adieu is written in a similar style, in my opinion it has little of the grand depth that helps make JS&MN so special.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Rose, so much flavor of JS&MN comes from the footnotes that I would urge you to get a physical copy of the book and read that.

The “Ladies of Grace Adieu” are background stories/footnotes that didn’t make it into JS&MN. So, very similar.

And “Piranesi” is totally totally different & nothing even close to either of those two.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Whew! I read through the thread. Gee.. many people to miss. I can still 'hear' their voices.. *sigh*

Dave mentions being late to the party, I’m about 17 years late! :P Well beyond fashionably late I'd say. Dave mentions some of what I felt -that the story calls to mind Northern myths and fairy-tales (the hawthorn trees, etc.. etc..), something which was certainly intentional. I imagine those who are not brought up steeped in such tales, superstitions, and legends have a less of a feel of 'Faerie' and it's legends than those who were.

Later in the thread Alatar posts a link to an Ars Technica article The madness of Susanna Clarke, fairy princess which touches on that hard-to-describe-something, the connection with madness, maliciousness, capriciousness.

I like jnyusa’s insights on the first page of this thread. Gee, I miss her! She can analyze in a way I cannot. That said, I also agree with Yovargas, many of the characters were dull and un-likable. Some sections were a slog. Even so, and although it took awhile, the story sucked me in. 
 I agree with this quote from Impy:
Impenitent wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:56 am There is such a seductive quality to the writing; the magic doesn't hit one over the head but coaxes one, surrounds one, draws one on and in. It is quite dark, though (constant dry humour notwithstanding) and I often felt I was standing on the edge of an abyss. Quite an alarming quality, I found.
As others stated, I think Childermass was the most intriguing character.

And this quote from WampusCat:
WampusCat wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:24 am I finally got around to reading Jonathan Strange. A few thoughts:

The beginning was a hard slog, mostly because I found all the characters boring and somewhat repulsive. If her point was to show that England needed a swift, magical kick in the rear, she succeeded. But it nearly made me abandon the book.
Voronwë, it hadn't occurred to me that Stephen Black was the Raven King. There are similarities but I had the impression that Stephen Black was more like an heir or perhaps a host and that John Uskglass was waiting for another 'unchristened, unnamed, human slave from a strange country' to replace him on the throne. But why did the Raven King need someone else? Why didn't he or why couldn't he do it himself? He seemed as if he still had a separate presence. Re-reading the prophecy I cannot help but think Stephen Black may very well be the Raven king.. but why? Did the Gentleman with the thistledown hair somehow unseat the Raven King (I think the timing would be about right). If so, those two have a history and it would also make John Uskglass/Stephen Black the Gentleman's greatest enemy.

I shall read the book again, with footnotes. Of the footnotes I had read, I found them to enhance the story a great deal, even if they somewhat interrupted the flow.

Speaking of old UK (Irish/faerie) folklore, there's a YouTube channel I enjoy which sometimes features old tales. It's primarily a channel dedicated to permaculture and self-sufficiency but I was drawn to the channel for the occasional tales. Daniel's a great storyteller, here are two of his fairy story videos.
* The Whitethorn (Hawthorn) tree
* The Tombs and the Fairy King
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful

Rose, I don't think that Stephen Black is the Raven King and I don't recall ever thinking that, though I can't swear to it. Is there a quote where I said that?