Terry Pratchett diagnosed with Alzheimers

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Inanna wrote:ENJOY. :) Am reading it again, and of course, enjoying it much more. Read quickly, wanna discuss it with you. :)
Over on the Outer Banks, interesting points came up for discussion. I'd love to see your thoughts (and anyone else's, of course).

http://www.the-outer-banks.net/viewtopic.php?t=1744&f=7
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Interesting stuff. I just started reading Snuff again (now that I have a working kindle) and thought of commenting on things as they come. And commenting on the points in the outer bank thread when I get to them.

Essentially, there are parts of Snuff that are not pure Terry Pratchett (and it kills me a little :(). And parts, of course, that are quintessential Terry Pratchett.

If we talk about writing style, the first disharmonious cord came very soon.

"After a few second, nothing was eclipsed by the form of Drumknott, his secretary (who, it must be said, had spent a career turning himself into something as much as like nothing as anything)."

The part is parantheses sounds a bit contrived to me. And more Douglas Adams-y than Pratchett-y. What do you think?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
willowing

Post by willowing »

Some of the book sites on the web reveal that the illness has not slowed this talented man down. Apparently he seems to be busier than ever.

I do wish Terry Pratchett a peaceful, comfortable and happy 2012.