The Gallery

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Erunáme

The Gallery

Post by Erunáme »

I'm in an artistic phase right now....been doing lots of painting. I have three paintings in progress and just finished one. Sadly, only one is an original and the other three are copies of other artwork. I don't feel too badly about this though...especially as I give credit where it's due and don't pretend that it's my own. Why I'm copying right now is because I don't have any art experience at all. I've done two paintings prior to this (aside from the goofing around stuff I did as a kid). I don't feel like I know what I'm doing and I need to look at another person's work to get in some decent practice. I want to keep doing copying and move into doing more original artwork. I've joined and been posting at the WetCanvas message boards and one forum does weekend painting events which I'm going to try to participate in as much as possible for original artwork practice.

Anyway, I wanted to share what I've been doing with you all (I've been doing it at TOB and LiveJournal, but many of you aren't in either of those places) because I can always use some positive validation :P and would like to start a place where others can share their creative endeavours as well. Any artistic creation is welcome: painting, needlework, decorative arts, etc.

On to what I've been doing. We'll start with the painting I've finished. It's a copy of a painting by Crystal Rose which you can find here. Of course, hers is much better than mine, but nevermind that. :P I stupidly used bad paper and that definately affected the outcome (less vibrant color and less control over the paints). The painting measures 6" tall by around 3.5" wide:

I'm working on a birthday present for Iavas's grandmother. This is based on a painting we have in our bedroom that I've always loved (don't know the artist's name as there is no signature). Iavas drew the outline and I'm painting it in. (The blue stuff is masking fluid which will be removed. It keeps the paper white.) The cat is nearly done and the white area will be a bunch of pansies:

My one original painting is based on this photo (which I thought would be an easy one, but I was soooooooooooo wrong! :shock:)

Here's how far I've gotten. I hope to finish it tomorrow or Thursday. I'm not very happy with it, but I'm trying to remember all practice is helpful:

Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

Ohhhhhh ...

*swept away by wild desire to take up own painting and drawing hobby again*

*hooked right out that stream by the twin branches of "working a programmers' dawn to dusk hours" and "have a fiancee visa to organize"*

:D

Those are great, Eru, but especially the cat! Wow, that is really coming out well! Water colours are tough to work with, especially on real watercolour paper that soaks it up. I used to paint water colours on much less absorbent paper, so I could quickly blot up a mistake. That's why I switched to oil ... though both water colours and oil have a charm to working with it.

Practice is certainly helpful! I can see it in how my paintings have evolved over the years ( not that I have very many left, I tend to give them away! )

I totally want to reprise my painting and drawing once I'm safely in America :)
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

Griffon64 wrote:*hooked right out that stream by the twin branches of "working a programmers' dawn to dusk hours" and "have a fiancee visa to organize"*
Getting a fiancee visa entails tons of waiting...waiting time that could be filled with painting. ;) Do a little here and there. I need some company!
Water colours are tough to work with, especially on real watercolour paper that soaks it up. I used to paint water colours on much less absorbent paper, so I could quickly blot up a mistake.

I actually think the opposite. I splurged and got some Arches 140lb paper since I kept reading not to skimp on equipment because if you do, you'll just be fighting with it the whole time. I completely agree with this. The little bit I've used the good paper, I've found it so much better. Paint handles soooooo much better and does what I want it to do. Also, the colors are more vibrant. (Now to get artist grade paints instead of my student grade!) If you don't catch it in time, you can definately get mistakes out of the good paper. You have to soak the mistake with water for a minute or so, then take a good, stiff, short-bristled brush (I actually use a proxa brush which is dental equipment :P), scrub the spot, then blot with a tissue or paper towel.

I'd like to try oils, but I'm not sure I'd have the patience to let them dry and deal with all the other tricksy stuff that comes with them. Plus, I think watercolors are so much more diverse. They can be light and airy but also used in a very bold and heavy manner. Plus they allow the white of the canvas to come through which leads to softer and more glowing paintings.

Did one more small painting. This is a replica of the birthday card Berhael sent me with the painting, The Kitten by Nanae Ito:

Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

Eruname wrote: Getting a fiancee visa entails tons of waiting...waiting time that could be filled with painting. ;) Do a little here and there. I need some company!
Boy howdy, doesn't it just :shock:

Right now, I'm waiting for:

a) The dang checklist-containing package from the consulate here ( it is so far taking two weeks to post something over a thirty-mile distance )
b) My police clearance from the South African Police

I really think I should go back to at least sketching if not actually painting ... I need to do something to relax! I'm stressing myself into an early grave over this visa thing at current ... our application expires end of May, which sounds a long way away until you realize how extremely crappy and indifferent public service etc in South Africa is. Whenever you apply for something you are met with a shrug and a "It will take six months" Uhm, no. It can't ... my application's validity expires in less than that ...!!

ANYWAY. :D
Eruname wrote: I splurged and got some Arches 140lb paper since I kept reading not to skimp on equipment because if you do, you'll just be fighting with it the whole time. I completely agree with this. The little bit I've used the good paper, I've found it so much better. Paint handles soooooo much better and does what I want it to do. Also, the colors are more vibrant. (Now to get artist grade paints instead of my student grade!)
I fully agree! :D I bought some Bristol board to do my pencil sketch work on, and WOW :shock: you can't believe how much easier that becomes using the proper tools! :D

As for paints, I tend to use student grade as well. The real stuff is SO expensive! Yet, I expect an increase in quality would also mean enchancements to ease of use and enjoument here! What I have never skimped on is decent brushes. I have some quite expensive artist brushes, which is totally worth it! No more loose brush hair in your painting, sticky-out hair spoiling your accuracy, or paint that just won't go on right!
Eruname wrote: I'd like to try oils, but I'm not sure I'd have the patience to let them dry and deal with all the other tricksy stuff that comes with them. Plus, I think watercolors are so much more diverse. They can be light and airy but also used in a very bold and heavy manner. Plus they allow the white of the canvas to come through which leads to softer and more glowing paintings.
I'll concur that watercolours are diverse because they can be light and ethereal almost, or rather bold. Certainly oils can't achieve the whimsical "fantasy" feel of water colour! I love the effect of combining water colour with pencil or pen, for instance. However, my "taste" in painting tends very much towards the "photo-realistic", and for that you need your oils. I definitely want to experiment more with water colours, having said that. There is something so absorbing and soul-healing in painting and drawing. It is hard to describe :)

And that kitten painting is too cute!
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Those paintings are wonderful, Eru!

I thought it was quite traditional to begin learning art by copying the work of other people. Nothing wrong with that at all.

If I were Iavas' grandmother, I would be delighted to receive that water color. It really shows a lot of skill, and it's a lovely picture.

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Eru, I love that calico kitty.
Dig deeper.
TIGG
ta'veren'

Post by TIGG »

Eru, I am jealous

I just dabble with art, mostly sketches and acrylics, the few times I have tried water colors they have gone all over the place.

my new desire is to try oils, good and thick, van Gogh style.

Perhaps when I find more time.

I love both your cat and kitten pictures particularly. But what would you expect from a fellow cat lover.

If you enjoy cat pictures look out for Nancy Tichbourne books or calendars, she does a lovely cat series, I copied one myself ;) or at least the concept, and my daughter framed it for her bedroom.

The fairy shows delicacy and I like the lightness and airiness you have achieved by using watercolors.
da TIGG is back and bouncin'
Face Book ID Kathy Roper ( New Zealand)
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

Geez...all these views and not many comments. Maybe my paintings aren't so great. :P

Just a really quick post:

There's a guy at the WetCanvas MB who is going to paint a picture of Holly, my cat!!!!! :D:D:D:D I'm so excited!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Well, I have looked and not posted because I'm an art ignoramus and my opinion isn't worth a lot. But my opinion is that I like your paintings. You seem (for some reason) to know a lot about cats especially. :P

How cool that you'll be getting a painting of Holly!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

Another quick post. I will do a proper reply tomorrow!
Primula_Baggins wrote:Well, I have looked and not posted because I'm an art ignoramus and my opinion isn't worth a lot.
I'm an art ignoramus as well. I am an extreme novice and beginner. I know nothing about color theory, composition...any of that stuff. So any and all comments are definately welcomed and appreciated (and wanted! I need confidence boosting, darnit! :P)

Anyway, update on the cat painting. Almost finished:

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Really nice, Eru! Iavas's grandmother will love it!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Eru, I love your paintings! Sorry I didn't speak up earlier, but I don't really have much more then that to say. I envy you; I could never produce anything like that in a million years. Keep at it!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Eru, your nearly complete painting of the calico cat is just lovely. :love: I really do like the dreamy softness of watercolours. Do you wet the canvas to get those beautiful blends? I very much like the soft, misty shadows on the wall and windowsill which give the scene more depth and "roundness" (for lack of a better word).

You know, this painting really does remind me of some of the great illustrations that one can find in children's picture books. Have you ever thought of going in this direction one day?

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

Thank you all for your comments. I do want to respond to them properly, but I'm too upset right now.

I'm sorry.
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

What happened, Eru? :hug:
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

w00t!!!

Did ya'll notice the picture that Eru posted here, the one of the girl with the long red hair and the wings?

I did. :)

I thought 1. That sure is a great painting and 2. That kinda looks like a red-haired angel. :halo:

Guess what I got in the mail today?

Thank you so much, Eru... what a wonderful birthday card! I cannot believe that you put so much work and time and TALENT into that painting and then gave it to me... you are SO generous and thoughtful.

I absolutely love it. :sunny:
Sassafras
still raining, still dreaming

Post by Sassafras »

Pffft!

I received the lovely crouching cat painting for my birthday.

:P

I framed it and it is now hanging on my wall in a place of honour.

<it really is beautiful, Eru!>

Ever mindful of the maxim that brevity is the soul of wit, axordil sums up the Sil:

"Too many Fingolfins, not enough Sams."

Yes.
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Oh, and does your kitty have wings? And lovely, long red hair?

I think NOT.

Pfft.

:P
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

Yay, it arrived. :) So were you surprised to get what you already saw on the computer? :P
I cannot believe that you put so much work and time and TALENT into that painting and then gave it to me...
You've done the same for me. You put together that wedding book for Iavas and I, you made me a bunch of really good cookies and put them in a tin decorated by you (which I use to store cookies in). :hug:

I'm glad you've gotten it framed Sass. :D

Griff, how annoying about that visa stuff! It hadn't occurred to me that the South African government would dawdle around so much that your petition approval would expire. I really, really hope everything comes through for you and Faramond.
What I have never skimped on is decent brushes.
I think I have good brushes, but really I don't know as I don't know brushes. They're synthetic but modeled after sable. They seemed to have good spring to them and they handle water pretty well. I had been using cruddy brushes before, but I realized I need some nicer ones...I bought four brushes recently. Luckily the art store I went to offerred them at a good price.
However, my "taste" in painting tends very much towards the "photo-realistic", and for that you need your oils.
Not necessarily. You'd be surprised what can be achieved with watercolors, though admittedly it is rare as it takes extreme talent....and really, I don't think watercolors are meant to be used in a perfect, photo-realistic manner. I think they're best being used somewhat loose. But still, the realistic stuff is absolutely amazing since watercolors are hard to control. Check these out:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212586
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211325
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155318

The first and third paintings look like photographs at first. Sadly, this isn't something you can learn. That guy is just plain talented. I mean this is his second watercolor painting ever!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137213
and a colored pencil drawing:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130201

*sigh* I wish I could do that. It's sickeningly good.
Jnyusa wrote:I thought it was quite traditional to begin learning art by copying the work of other people. Nothing wrong with that at all.
Since I've never taken an art class, I wouldn't know. I would think it's more of copying an artist's style or technique rather than copying a piece of art...but really, I don't know.

Voronwë, thank you very much! Your nice comments definately help my confidence. :)
Athrabeth wrote:Do you wet the canvas to get those beautiful blends? I very much like the soft, misty shadows on the wall and windowsill which give the scene more depth and "roundness"
Sometimes. :P There are different watercolor techniques that all depend on the use of water. The soft, misty shadows as you call them were achieved by using the wet-in-wet technique. That means you wet the paper thoroughly and then you put wet paint into it. Basically you let the paint do it's thing. The paper immediately sucks it up and disperses it. It's a really fun technique to use and absolutely great for soft blending. It can only be done in big areas due to it's uncontrolled nature.

Most of the rest of the painting is wet-on-dry, meaning using wet paint on dry paper. There's dry-on-dry technique, (using mostly dry paint on dry paper...that's a very harsh, and heavy effect), but I've not used it with this painting.
You know, this painting really does remind me of some of the great illustrations that one can find in children's picture books. Have you ever thought of going in this direction one day?

:shock:

Wow! Not even in the slightest. I'm too much of a beginner right now who is still grasping at the media and doesn't have her own style yet. I don't think I'd ever have the creativity for it unfortunately. I'm horrible at visualizing something when I read a book. That's something that would be needed to be an illustrator I think. ;)

I have one new painting. A fairly easy, quick and fun one. I guess it's named Tropical Sunset:

I have a bit of tweaking to do with it...not noticeable to you all, but to me, but it's pretty much finished. The sky was done wet-in-wet and the tree shillouettes (sp?) ere done wet-on-dry.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Wow, that's really beautiful, Eru! I love the color blending in the sky.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."