The Guinea Pig Diaries

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
vison
Best friends forever

The Guinea Pig Diaries

Post by vison »

The Guinea Pig Diaries, by A. J. Jacobs, is a very fun read. I requested his other two books: The Year of Living Biblically, and Know It All.

The Year of Living Biblically is his adventures of, well, living according to the rules in the Bible.

Know It All is what happened when he read the entire Britannica and spread the knowledge.

If either one is as good as Guinea Pig Diaries, they're going to be good reading. It's one I heartily recommend.
Dig deeper.
BrianIsSmilingAtYou

Post by BrianIsSmilingAtYou »

I saw "The Year of Living Biblically" at Borders Books, and it looked like a fun read. I skimmed through portions, and it was fascinating.

The following is what he has on his website about the book:

http://www.ajjacobs.com/books/yolb.asp
DESCRIPTION

The Year of Living Biblically is about my quest to live the ultimate biblical life. To follow every single rule in the Bible – as literally as possible. I obey the famous ones:

* The Ten Commandments
* Love thy neighbor
* Be fruitful and multiply

But also, the hundreds of oft-ignored ones.

* Do not wear clothes of mixed fibers.
* Do not shave your beard
* Stone adulterers

Why? Well, I grew up in a very secular home (I’m officially Jewish but I’m Jewish in the same way the Olive Garden is an Italian restaurant). I’d always assumed religion would just wither away and we’d live in a neo-Enlightenment world. I was, of course, spectacularly wrong. So was I missing something essential to being a human? Or was half the world deluded?

I decided to dive in headfirst. To try to experience the Bible myself and find out what’s good in it, and what’s maybe not so relevant to the 21st century.

The resulting year was fascinating, entertaining and informative. It was equal parts irreverent and reverent. It was filled with surprising insights almost every day. (I know it’s not biblical to boast, so apologies for that).

The book that came out of the year has several layers.

-An exploration of some of the Bible’s startlingly relevant rules. I tried not to covet, gossip, or lie for a year. I’m a journalist in New York. This was not easy.

--An investigation of the rules that baffle the 21st century brain. How to justify the laws about stoning homosexuals? Or smashing idols? Or sacrificing oxen? And how do you follow those in modern-day Manhattan?

--A look at various fascinating religious groups. I embedded myself among several groups that take the Bible literally in their own way, from creationists to snake handlers, Hasidim to the Amish.

--A critique of fundamentalism. I became the ultra-fundamentalist. I found that fundamentalists may claim to take the Bible literally, but they actually just pick and choose certain rules to follow. By taking fundamentalism extreme, I found that literalism is not the best way to interpret the Bible.

--A spiritual journey. As an agnostic, I’d never seriously explored such things as sacredness and revelation.

--A memoir of my family’s eccentric religious history, including my ex-uncle Gil, who has been, among other things, a Hindu cult leader, an evangelical Christian and an Orthodox Jew.

The Year of Living Biblically has received praise from Publishers Weekly, Kirkus Reviews, The New York Times Book Review, the Los Angeles Times, USA Today and others. It has been optioned for a movie by Paramount Pictures and Plan B productions.

BrianIs :) AtYou

All of my nieces and nephews at my godson/nephew Nicholas's Medical School graduation. Now a neurosurgical resident at University of Arizona, Tucson.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I really enjoyed it. I have some questions about why he chose the things he did, and at times I think he strained himself, but on the whole, a fun read.
Dig deeper.