McCaffrey's Crystal Singer trilogy

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
halplm
hooked

McCaffrey's Crystal Singer trilogy

Post by halplm »

I could have sworn I'd discussed this before, but it might have been on B77.

While I have long been a fan of the Dragonrider's of Pern books, I may have even longer been a fan of McCaffrey's Crystal Singer books.

There are few books that I can sit and read in one sitting any more. The last could of Harry Potter books might have been such if I didn't require sleep, but alas ;).

However, in the grips of the cold I had last week, I did pick up the second book of this trilogy, Killashandra, and read it straight through in about 7 hours, which I found immensely satisfying.

It's interesting because McCaffrey has several themes in all of her writing that get in depth treatment in her books... food and music being the biggest... and I think that given my own enjoyment of those same things, her writing gains that much more interest from me.

As much as I would like to see a great film adaptation of the Dragonrider books, I have always thought the Crystal Singer books would provide a much simpler and far more adaptable story for film. They provide a very interesting galactic setting, and are far more focused on one or two characters, rather than presenting a political landscape that has to be navigated with odd similar names that can be confusing.
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I read the Pern series, but not the Crystal Singer ones.

A long time ago I read The Ship Who Sang, but when I read it, I'm sure it was a short story, in a collection. Could that be so? Was it once a short story and then expanded into a novel?
Dig deeper.
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

The book is a collection of 4 short stories closely related I believe.
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I should see if I have these in the stash of SF/Fantasy books I got from a friend. I'm not sure I've read anything by McCaffrey. If I have, it's been so long ago that I can't remember.