Roddy Doyle's "Barrystown Triology"

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Roddy Doyle's "Barrystown Triology"

Post by Alatar »

I was listening to the radio this morning and they played a song from the movie of "The Snapper" and it got me thinking about the "Barrystown Trilogy". For those who don't know, its a set of three books following the lives of the Rabbitte Family, a poor working class family living in Dublin.

"The Committments" is the most well known, thanks to Alan Parkers movie, and centers round Jimmy's attempt to create a soul band. Famous quote "The Irish are the blacks of Europe. And Dubliners are the blacks of Ireland. And the Northside Dubliners are the blacks of Dublin. So say it once, say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud. "

"The Snapper" is the followup and this one centers round Sharon, Jimmy's sister, when she gets pregnant. Its really more about Jimmy Senior and how he handles it though. This is my favourite of the trilogy. Famous quote: "There's nothing on TV. Any chance of a ride? Ya, let me finish this line. Are ya serious?? Your not messin now are ya.. ****ing great...i'll go up n' brush me teeth."

"The Van" is about when Jimmy Senior loses his job and has to deal with unemployment. His friend Bimbo buys a Chip Van with his redundancy money and he and Jimmy become partners in the Venture. Famous quote: "You with the haircut there; wha' d'yeh want? World Peace! You're barred. Next!"

There was a lot of discussion when these books came out, questioning whether they should be classed as "literature". The writing style is very different, consisting of mostly dialogue with very little indication who's speaking in many cases. They would probably give Prim a headache! Still, they're fantastic books, and the third of the trilogy, The Van, was shortlisted for the Booker Prize in 1991.

So, anyone interested in a group read?

http://www.amazon.com/Barrytown-Trilogy ... 0140252622

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Barrytown-Trilo ... 749397365/
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Not sure I have the time for a group read, but I've been looking for some good contemporary urban Irish fiction. Research, you know. :) I liked the movie version of The Commitments, so I'll check these out.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I love Roddy Doyle. Of course it's literature. Anyone who can nail down the way people actually talk? That's literature.
Dig deeper.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

So I gather there's no real interest in a group read?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I still don't think I have time for a group read, but I'm game for some discussion.

One thing that struck me after reading all three was the portrayal of how differently characters in the stories maintain their sense of self-esteem, or perhaps, how differently they define it. There seems (at first glance anyway) a notable division in the genders on this question, which drives much of the tension in The Van especially.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Alatar wrote:So I gather there's no real interest in a group read?
I would very much like to, Alatar, but right now my plate is pretty full. I escape into Barsetshire when I can, but that's not often.

However, I will not forget.