The Kindle Books and Resources List

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Okay, I will do this later today. I'm off right now for a nasty morning at the dentist. :x
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Well, not so nasty. I have a minute and will sort this out now.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Third post in a row, and possibly not a proper one, but because I said earlier that my books aren't available for Kindle any more, I wanted to post that I was wrong; all three are still available on Amazon.

Link

I'm glad, though I'm not sure how this works. I need to talk to my agent; I thought he was going to revert all the rights to me, but at least the e-rights still seem to belong to Ace.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

:(
This title is not available for customers from your location in:
Europe
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

But I'm sure you'll be delighted to know that The Dark Reaches is available in four formats on Usenet! You know you've made it when you're worth pirating!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

:P I do get the occasional Google hit from one site or another.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Al, I've got around that stipulation by providing Amazon with an alternative address in the US.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I'm rereading my Jane Austen collection and am currently on Northanger Abbey, in which the heroine is deeply involved in Mrs Radcliffe's Udolpho.

So, I thought to myself, I thought: I wonder whether Udolpho is available as an ebook? Hm?

So I hopped off to Project Gutenberg, and of course, it IS!

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/3268

The Mysteries of Udolpho, by Ann Ward Radcliffe.

I am not expecting to be shaken to my boots, nor to have my hair stand on end (which, apparently the hero of Northanger Abbey experienced) but am so very curious about this book which was apparently quite the rage of the age, when Gothicke horror novels were quite the thing.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Thought this might interest a few halofiriens.

Currently available for free:
Origins by Randolph Lalonde (4.4 out of 5 stars) is currently available as a FREE eBook!
Genre: Science Fiction, Space Opera
It is the distant future and one man, Jonas Valent, is letting his life slip by. He is employed by Freeground station as a port traffic controller, a job he took after completing a tour in the military. His only real joy in life is his participation in true-to-life military simulations with a cadre of friends who come together regularly to defeat challenges made to test the brightest military cadets and officers alike. These restricted scenarios stand as an addictive preoccupation that is so enticing that they ignore the potential repercussions of breaking in to participate.
When someone betrays their identities to the Freeground Fleet Admiralty, Jonas and his friends are faced with a far greater challenge: to venture out into the more populated regions of the galaxy to acquire technology and knowledge. They are tasked with laying the groundwork for the Freeground Nation in their efforts to reconnect with the rest of humanity, and to secure the armaments they might need to defend themselves from encroaching enemies.
Spinward Fringe Broadcast 0: Origins is a collected trilogy that chronicles the early adventures of an ambitious crew. Their leader, Jonas Valent, has the least to lose and everything to gain as he tells the tale of his first tour as Captain of a ship tasked with making allies and discovering new technologies for the good of his people. This simple mission becomes more complicated as the crew ventures further into the settled fringes of the galaxy.
This trilogy spawned the best selling Spinward Fringe eBook series. This is where it all began, when one man was challenged to aspire for more than an idle life.
A Space Opera Adventure enjoyed across the globe by all ages.
Available for kindle here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004EPYUXA/?tag=afbm-20

And, ATTENTION LALI!, available for nook here: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/spinwar ... uj0-_-10:1
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Sorry, fourth post in a row, but the topics vary (slightly).

Lali, I thought you might be interested in knowing that Pixel of Ink, to which I subscribe for a daily email of free eBooks that become available, has started to list eBooks for the Nook as well (evidence above).

I thought you might be interested in investigating it, because I know Nook book sources are a little more limited that Kindle book sources.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:D Yay! :kiss: Thank you, Impy! I will go check it out right his very minute!
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I am never going to be able to read all the books I want to read! Never! Not if I retired tomorrow and had slaves to cook and clean for me!

I've found book collections; the collected books of Mark Twain, Robert Louis Stevenson, George Elliot, Jane Austen (all of them! even the previously unpublished/incompleted works and letters!), Sir Walter Scott, Louisa May Alcott, the Brontes, Edgar Rice Burroughs, James Fenimore Cooper, Dickens, Hardy, Dumas, Turganev, Byron, Tolstoy, Jules Verne, Pushkin, Forster...oh, the list is endless... and they have active table of contents (ie click and it goes to that story)...and the most expensive of these collections is but $2.99.

I am speechless!
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:D I have been like a kid in the candy store with the Pixel of Ink site. So far, I'm sticking to free books, because I have quite a backlog going on my reading now. But I'm having such fun getting free books! :happydance:
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I don't recall seeing this listed, sorry if I missed it.

WebScription has a library of SF and fantasy ebooks in various formats, some free, most for sale. I linked to the free books page, and I am definitely going to get the nonfiction volume at least.

http://www.webscription.net/c-1-free-library.aspx
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Frelga, will add to the first post.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I just clicked on a book at random, 1632 by Eric Flint, and apparently it's about West Virginian miners from 2000 traveling to 1632 Germany to deal some "Freedom and Justice, American style." Can't go wrong with that, can I? :D
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Sounds like just the thing! Though it's frustrating; that was going to be the plot of my my novel after next. :x

I had a Kindle adventure that ended happily. I'm out at the beach, sitting on the porch, enjoying the view as I type. I was sitting in this same chair Tuesday afternoon, enjoying my new Kindle, when my parents arrived. I set the Kindle down on my chair (dun dun dunnnnnn) and went in to say hi and got distracted by this and that—and when I returned someone had apparently sat on my Kindle. The screen was still in one piece, but flickering a fragmented image.

I called Customer Service to make sure nothing could be done. I explained what had happened, and they commiserated and said, you haven't had this long enough to really enjoy it! Let's just send you a new one. What address?

When I could breathe, I gave them the address here, and they shipped it that night by Fed Ex. It arrived this morning and it's inside charging now; I've already moved all my books onto it.

By my count I've sold at least two Kindles just to the witnesses of all this. After selling four to my writing group last week.

Extraordinary customer service is an excellent investment. I like companies who've figured that out. :)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

That's an awesome story!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Prim, wow, what a great ending! I actually heard about this before - someone's kindle got broken on the airplane, in carry-on, and they got the replacement.

Five stars to Amazon for customer service.

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It's all charged now, and I'm going to close my laptop and get back to what I got the Kindle for. :D