Pre-Raphaelites - Victorian Avant-Garde at the Tate Britain

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Elentári

Pre-Raphaelites - Victorian Avant-Garde at the Tate Britain

Post by Elentári »

Tate Britain is currently staging stage a major exhibition devoted to the work of the Pre-Raphaelites, illustrating how they became the “superstars” of the 19th century. The show will bring together world-famous works including Dante Gabriel Rossetti's Lady Lilith (1872-73) and others rarely seen in Britain...

Here's a brief tv spot from the BBC when the exhibition first opened...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-19561531

Well, I took my daughter to this fabulous exhibition of some of the most reknowned Pre-Raphaelite paintings and interior decor in the world this afternoon and I am still coming down to earth from an overdose of beauty and awe-inspiring skill! Several of the paintings I have been privileged to see before, as they are housed permanently at Tate Britain, but others I have only had the luxury of pouring over on the printed page, and others were treasures still to be discovered! My daughter was particularly taken with this Alpine scene by John Brett of the Val d'Aosta which, she said, reminded her of "Heidi."

Her other favourite was Collins' Convent Thoughts because of the goldfish which look so real!

For me, among the highlights were the furnishings and artworks of Topsy & Ned...Designs and samples of Morris' wallpapers and fabrics, the original Kelmscott "Chaucer"...I can't quite believe I actually stood in front of so many Burne-Jones masterpieces, including two of the "Grail" tapestries which are incredible to behold close up, in terms of both the design and skill in making, as well as his wonderful paintings - both on canvas (such as the Golden Stairs and the Perseus trio) and other media such as the Prioress's Tale wardrobe, as well as ceramic tiles and stained glass.

Truly a feast for the eyes and balm for the soul in many cases, though of course the PRB did not always shy away from illustrating less-savoury aspects of Victorian life, and indeed my daughter asked me to explain about paintings dealing with uncomfortable realities such as The Stone Breaker by Henry Wallis (1857)

The exhibition runs in London until January 2013, and will then travel to Washington and Moscow in the Spring. More details available from Tate Britain
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

One of the high points of my visit to London some years ago was seeing the pre-Raphaelites at the Tate, the ones they have on permanent display. You are so lucky to see a whole exhibit of them.

I had Rossetti's Proserpine as my TORC avatar for a while.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Oh, wow! I would have been in heaven, too.