The Book of Subverse Vol 1 All in a Spin

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
eborr

The Book of Subverse Vol 1 All in a Spin

Post by eborr »

I am helping my wives brother to put together a kickstarter and social media campaign for the first volume of a trilogy called the Book of Subverse.

The first volume consists of more than 30 highly detailed illustrations with minimal text, where the narrative, or narrative clues are in the pictures. The quality of the illustrations is fantastic and very much (to my mind) follows the mood of the regency satirists such as Gilroy.

Because of the nature of the work and the costs of publication the book has been turned down by a whole host of publishers, which is a little surprising given that the author has a track record in providing illustrations to the Guardian and to Punch magazine.

My view is that kickstarter provides a means whereby people with creative talent can directly connect with a potential readership, without the publisher getting in the way.

Volume 1 is complete, apart from a bit of setting, and will be available as part of the kickstarter as an e book, and A4 book and potentially a limited number of A3 sized books, where the illustrations can be viewed as a 1:1.

I have attached a low res image below, if anyone wants to see a small sample in A4 please send me a message.

It's not my purpose to hijack the HOF as a marketing tool, but I hope the mod's will indulge me by allowing me to respond to questions and post web/facebook/kickstarter links as they evolve

A sample page from the book
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
eborr

Re: The Book of Subverse Vol 1 All in a Spin

Post by eborr »

http://bookofsubverse.wix.com/book

Web link if you fancy stopping by
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Wow! Intriguing artwork - I see how you reference the Regency satirists. I also see how a publisher would find it difficult to find the marketing hook for it, unless the illustrator already has a substantial following. It's quite left-field.

Good luck with it eborr.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
eborr

Post by eborr »

it's very left field, and that's one reason why we are exploring the possibility of crowd funding, as far as the website goes I need to fix the page with the rough's as they aren't really clearly visible.

This is a book which you can approach on two levels, firstly in respect of the art which at a technical level is a good as anything you can get, then secondly from the point of view of the subject matter.

From a general perspective I think it's quite sad when we live in a society where there are certain sacred cows that cannot be criticised, I am not looking at things which are beyond the pail here like racism or homophobia, but it seems to me we have a notion of freedom of expression which is very limited. That limitation is one which is primarily enforced by economic means, by the publishing and broadcasting industry, to support the establishment and conservative thinking, by politicians of all shades.

The evil of blindly believing everything you are told, and uncritically touching your forelock, is one of the central themes of the first volume. This is a message which we all should embrace, otherwise this unfair and for many people cruel world will only get worse.

The great thing about the interweb as long as it remains free is that given time it will slay these daemons, and alternate opinion is available if you have the energy to find it.

Gwyn A. Williams,