Harper Lee 1926-2016

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Túrin Turambar

Harper Lee 1926-2016

Post by Túrin Turambar »

The author of To Kill a Mockingbird has died in her home town of Monroeville, Alabama, aged 89.

Aside from Go Set a Watchman, published last year, Lee is one of those authors who is remembered for one book, but it’s a book that, on its own, eclipses the entire output of many prolific writers. Once To Kill a Mockingbird had been published, she never needed to write another, and it’s likely she could never have eclipsed it. Certainly she never finished another book for the remaining sixty years of her life (Watchman had been written before Mockingbird).

I’ve always thought that, had it been written in third person, To Kill a Mockingbird would be remembered as a solid contribution to American literature. But its genius lies in the fact that it describes very adult topics like racial segregation, rape and social class from the perspective of a child. That, to me, is what makes it a classic (and I re-read it only recently). There's no cynicism in the book, but nor any denial of reality. For lawyers, Lee has also provided us with arguably the greatest fictional hero of our profession in the character of Atticus Finch. Again and again, I have heard lawyers from all generations and from many countries cite the influence of his closing address to the jury. “For God’s sake, gentlemen, do your duty, and restore this man to his family.”
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Re: Harper Lee 1926-2016

Post by Lalaith »

It is a tremendous books (and a tremendous film, too, for that matter).

:(

I also read that Umberto Eco died today.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Re: Harper Lee 1926-2016

Post by Primula Baggins »

We are losing a lot of greats in many areas of endeavor. :(
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King