Sad loss: Ursula K. Le Guin

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Sad loss: Ursula K. Le Guin

Post by Primula Baggins »

I envy you, lazycat! I saw her speak once, and we smiled at each other in the crowd afterward. . . .

The illustrated Earthsea book I mentioned upthread is currently $37.53 (or so) at Amazon, marked down from $60. It comes out October 30th. Mine (my birthday present) is on order and will arrive that day!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: Sad loss: Ursula K. Le Guin

Post by Inanna »

How awesome! Go tell me how you like it
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I won't have it until the 30th. But it looks like a beautiful book, the illustrations I've seen are detailed and fascinating, and I already know it's five LeGuin novels I love (plus all her Earthsea stories) in one place.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I meant to say “Do tell me then how you like it”. I can see your predisposition, though. ;)

It sounds awesome.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I thought you were commanding me to get posting! :rofl:

I'll certainly post here. It's quite an investment for books I already own in other form (I bought Tehanu in hardcover after reading the paperback, I love it that much). But having them all in one place, and with those illustrations, where Le Guin worked closely with the artist to make them match her own images of her characters and settings, I just had to have it.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I preordered it on Amazon after reading your post. I won't physically have it in my hands until May next year, though, as I'm having it delivered to my friend in Maryland so I can pick it up when we stay with her.

Sent from a tiny phone keyboard via Tapatalk - typos inevitable.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I've added it to my Amazon wishlist for my Daughter.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I’m pondering it....
I do have to order Catwings for my daughter...
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I just came across this and wanted to share:

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

What a glorious subversive she was. Her 5 minutes of this are cogent, pointed, and true.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Did you know that LeVar Burton has a podcast where he reads short stories, mostly SF? It's like Reading Rainbow for the grownups.

Here he is reading Le Guin's The Flyers of Gy

https://pca.st/dZxo
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Saving that for a treat when I finish work. Thank you, Frelga!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I cant view here, but for those in the US:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters ... ilm/11632/
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Primula Baggins wrote:Saving that for a treat when I finish work. Thank you, Frelga!
:( :( :(
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I know. :hug:
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Just heard that there are plans afoot to serialise the Earthsea books.

https://deadline.com/2019/09/earthsea-b ... 202709659/
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

That's great news. The last version was pretty underwhelming.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Looks fascinating!

Prim would have been SO excited!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

This has a chance to be good. I'm a bit concerned, because while The Wizard of Earthsea is fairly straightforward, later books run to themes that no one seens anxious to tackle on screen right now.

I wonder if someone would try the Left Hand of the Darkness. It resonates these days, but possibly not in the way Le Guin intended.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Regarding themes: Thinking of Tehanu?