Seymour Boardman

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Seymour Boardman

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Seymour Boardman was my great-uncle (my mother's mother's brother). He has always epitomized for me the 'starving artist'. His paintings were just beginning to sell for significant money when he passed away this summer after a career as an artist that spanned 50 years and more. I am not generally a big fan of "modern" art, but there is a warmth to Seymour's paintings that I have always found attractive. Perhaps it is just a reflection of knowing him; he was absolutely one of the most gentle human beings I have ever had the privilege of knowing.

The last time I saw him was at a memorial service for my cousin earlier this year in New York (where, along with almost all of my family lived/lives). He was frail, but he always had been frail. He was excited about some new travelling exhibitions that he was going to be a part of, and pleased that he was finally getting some decent exposure and financial rewards.

Here is a link to a biography of him that also shows some of his work:

http://www.anitashapolskygallery.com/boardman.html

Here is one of his simplest paintings that I find strangely pleasing:

What a thrill it would be to learn that someone out there had actually heard of him or was at all familiar with his work. I did not really realize until he passed away that he was at all "known".

Ber?
Last edited by Voronwë the Faithful on Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

I like those paintings, Voronwë.

I'm sorry though that I had never heard of your great uncle, nor any of the other artists listed on the gallery's website.

Did you family keep any of his work? That would be truly exciting to have heirlooms from an artist who was at all known.

(This is a tiny bit off-topic, but I'm thinking that you would really enjoy the movie "Incognito." )

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Yes. I will probably get to keep one of his smaller works.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

No disrespect meant, but I've never understood art like that. I just don't get it unfortunately. :(