Bad Books by Good Authors

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

elfshadow wrote:I just finished reading "Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad. I was warned that it would be hard to get through, but I didn't find the reading itself all that difficult. It's just that the guy tries to be profound in every single sentence, and I thought it kind of got overwhelming. It did bring up some good points about the "journey into the self", but all in all I didn't like it. The aesthetic quality of the writing was brilliant, though, especially considering the fact that he wrote it in his third language.

I've never read others by Conrad, but hopefully they weren't as overly-heavy as HoD. :D
I guess you know that Conrad was not a native speaker of English? He was, as I recall, Polish.

I think that affected the way he wrote, although he wrote very naturally just the same.

I didn't really like Heart of Darkness, either.
Dig deeper.
elfshadow
Dancing in the moonlight

Post by elfshadow »

Yes, as I said he was writing HoD in his third language...I think he learned German second and then English. :)

I liked his style of writing, though I wasn't particularly fond of the content.
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - HDT