Favorite artists - contribute!

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

The size is great, Jny - but I don't understand what the pic is about - I guess there's something special about Port Ligat one should know?
seeing the crucifixion from God's point of view.
Yes, that's what I thought it was! Didn't say it because I was afraid it would sound silly. :D
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

I saw the Dali exhibit when I was in London this summer and I thought it was excellent. He was a very strange man, definitely and had some perverse ideas regarding sex and sexuality. However, I found his work provocative and stimulating and, yes, sometimes disturbing. But to me, good art should provoke a response and a reaction and Dali's certainly does!

I didn't see anything about pedophilia or crimes...Dali married a much older woman when he was still quite young and inexperienced and stayed married to her his entire life. She was a driving force in his creativity.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Hobby,

Port Lligat was the 'permanent' home of Dali and Gala. I'd have to look up what year they acquired their home there. The view out through the bay appears as the backdrop in many Dali paintings about other subjects, for example it is the backdrop seen through the window in The Last Supper. He did a fair number of sketches and paintings showing the inhabitants of Port Lligat being assisted by skeletal Angels and I've always found this emotionally moving for reasons I can't really explain. The view touches me at some subliminal level, as it obviously touched Dali himself. There is always a boat docked or beached, which adds to the sense that some message is intended but never directly stated.

In one of the threads in Tol Eressëa, Athrabeth was talking about the sense one gets in some places that one has been there before, or will be there in the future - that one sees the place from many points in time simultaneously ... that the place itself a sort of touchstone over many lifetimes. When I see this port in so many Dali paintings, I have the sense that the place felt like that to him. It was a kind of touchstone transcending time and topic.

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

This is a poor representation of a print that I have here in my office of Lithograph by a late artist named Vernon Lawhorn called "Young African Kings".

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

A bit of trivia:

Once there was a little boy named Salvador Dali. He died in childhood. After his death, his parents had another little boy. This one they named...Salvador Dali. And this boy grew up with a very twisted view of himself and the world, imagining himself to be his own dead brother.

And of course he became Dali the painter.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

<shudders for Salvador Dali>

Voronwë, was Lawthorn an American artist? Not that it matters but I'm curious because in spite of the topic there is something distinctly American about that picture. (Now let me go figure out what it is.) :scratch:

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Jn, yes, Lawhorn (no "t") was African-American.

Whistler, that is very interesting. I did not know that, and it explains much.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

*shudder* Poor Salvador Dali. Who knows what he might have been otherwise.

Well, the saying is that great art comes from great pain.
Dig deeper.
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Jny, thanks for the explanation about Port Lligat! :)
(Another thread I haven't been to in ages! :oops: )

Whistler, I agree that might have been rather traumatic!
(Although the father's name was Salvador, and maybe it was not unconventional to use the same name again when the important thing was to hand down the first name to the heir?)
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Wanted to know what people thought of this little piece of surrealism:

Blunt honesty welcome! :D
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

OK.

I hate it more than I can say.

I think it's horrible.
Dig deeper.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I hate it more than I can say.
But can you say why? :D
-The Decemberists

Whistler

Post by Whistler »

That's...that's a picture, all right.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

It's very badly painted, that's for sure.

The drum head doesn't convey any point or message that I can see.

It's like a bad dream . . . but not in a good way.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

I'm not sure it's badly painted - I think it tries to look like an early 20th poster ad for bathing or so. I don't think it's horrible or shocking at all. But I do think it's pointless. I can't think of any explanation why the woman should have a tambourine for a head. Of course, that just might be the idea of the surrealism of the pic! :scratch:
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

It isn't badly painted. It's in a style called "naive."

And it does have a point. The point is that there is none.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

What's "naive" style? Or was that a joke? :scratch:
-The Decemberists

Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Naive art suggests the simplicity of thought, emotion and (to a degree) graphic expertise of a child. Many of our greatest painters sought to return to this style: Picasso once said that to "paint like a child" was his goal. The reasoning is that children have an innate understanding of art that fades as we reach adulthood.

The most famous naive artist was probably Henri Rousseau. You might want to run a Google search on his work.

Rousseau's work is so childlike that once, when he was brought to trial for passing counterfeit money, his lawyer presented several of his paintings to the jury as proof that the painter's mind was immature, and that he was simply too simple-minded to know what he was doing.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Well, I have no eye for these things, that's clear. I do know about the naive style, but paintings in that style, such as Rousseau's, generally don't look bad to me.

When I try to draw figures, they look as stiff and awkward as the figures in that painting—and in my case I know it's simply because I don't know how to draw.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I hate it because it's frightening. What happened to that woman's head? That's the first naive and childlike thought I had.

Second, maybe she belongs to the "drum-head people" and she's signalling to her cohort to come and feast upon the child she is just about to capture?

Maybe it means, women are so stupid their heads are empty sound-chambers, like drums? (Sound and fury, signifying nothing?"

There's been a shipwreck, I guess. There seems to be debris (I knew a fisherman who spent his entire life on the wild waters of the West Coast and he knew the difference between "flotsam" and "jetsam" but he pronouned "debris" as "DEB-riss"). She, the drum-head girl, is sounding the alarm and calling for aid?

That horrid boy/man person is so creepy I hope she shoves him under the water and drowns him.

How can she see?

Why is she wearing an American flag, almost?

yovargas, none of these are happy thoughts. :(
Dig deeper.