Favorite artists - contribute!

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Lidless wrote:As I said last year, my definition of art is an aesthetic creation by virtue of imagination, talent or skill.
[devil's advocate]
What about a thought-provoking creation by virtue of imagination, talent or skill? Can it not art as well?
[/devil's advocate]
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Whistler

Post by Whistler »

LONDON (Reuters) - One of Britain's most prestigious art galleries put a block of slate on display, topped by a small piece of wood, in the mistaken belief it was a work of art.

But the slate was actually a plinth -- a slab on which a pedestal is placed -- and the stick was designed to prop up a sculpture. The sculpture itself -- of a human head -- was nowhere to be seen.

"I think the things got separated in the selection process and the selectors presented the plinth as a complete sculpture," the work's artist David Hensel told BBC radio.

The academy explained the error by saying the plinth and the head were sent to the exhibitors separately.

"Given their separate submission, the two parts were judged independently," it said in a statement. "The head was rejected. The base was thought to have merit and accepted.

"The head has been safely stored ready to be collected by the artist," it added. "It is accepted that works may not be displayed in the way that the artist might have intended."
elfshadow
Dancing in the moonlight

Post by elfshadow »

:rofl:

But don't you see? The plinth and the wooden support on their own, without the sculpture, represent the foundation upon which the actual sculpture rests, both literally and figuratively! They are the true cornerstone of artwork, toiling beneath the heavy stone head in an effort to display it to the world of observers only to be obscured beneath the head itself, hidden from view. Now, at last, the plinth and the wooden support are finally getting all the acknowledgement that they've deserved for so many years, representing all of their kind to accept their true artistic appreciation.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Stunning insight, Elsha!

You should be . . . a critic! :D
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

Lidless wrote:If I were an actor who was properly trained and could inhabit almost any persona, I would be outraged by the money paid to many Hollywood types who can only play the one character - themselves. Same thing.
Hehe, my Mom hates Jack Nicholson, so every time one of his movies is on TV (and she walks by), she says "he always plays himself." <grin> For his sake, I really hope that's not true! He plays some very twisted characters.... I think her bad opinion of him started with the Joker in Batman! :shock:

But it is true, in some cases. The actor who played Denethor sounded really creepy on the DVD commentaries...and of course Billy and Dom really were as playful as Merry and Pippin. I mean, you couldn't have switched them! <shudders at the thought of John Noble as a hobbit>. I am not knocking any of their acting abilities, but just pointing out that you pick someone appropriate for the part, and then let their acting fill it in. That's why most people are always good guys or always bad guys.

Some modern art is junk, but some of it is really neat. I figure it just hasn't had to go through the test of time yet, you know, to have the really great stuff rise to the top or whatever. Given enough time, the silliness would be forgotten...I hope.

And there is nothing to say that an artist who makes a really great plinth is also good at sculpting heads.... if the museum wants to display a block of wood on top of it, that is their business.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Wanted to say to Estel that I love your current sig. It got me to look up Stephanie Pui-mun Law's website. This sort of stuff, fantasy and such, is not something I usually care for artwise, but a lot of her work is exquisite. I love her sense of composition. Beautiful stuff. :)
-The Decemberists

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

5 things yov learned from this thread:

- I'm tired of stuffy European-looking pictures of stuffy European-looking people wearing stuffy European-looking clothes. Random example from the thread:
- There are many different ways to experience art. I already knew this in a general sense, but we got to see it in action in this thread.
- Whistler's (not the poster) way of experience art was very similar to my own. We're both more interest in color and composition then content.
- Despite agreeing with Whistler's (not the poster) views on art, I hardly like him at all and I actually find most of his work pretty unpleasant.
- Despite not liking Whistler's (not the poster) work, he painted what may now rank amongst my very favorite paintings.

So without further ado, here are my 5 favorite artworks I discovered in this thread:

#1:

#2:

#3:

#4:

#5:
-The Decemberists

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Anyone heard of Peter Max? Found saw a book of his art at the store and instantly fell in love with his paintings. Those colors!

-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

No, yov, you have to say it this way:

<<<<<Tttthhhoooooosssssssse collllllllllllorrrrrrrsssssssssssss>>>>>

But you were born about thirty years too late to have been properly instructed. :P
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

*is far too innocent to know what Prim is talking about*
-The Decemberists

axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

There are parts of Yellow Submarine that are extremely derivative of Max visually. The rest is pretty much just copied. :D
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

We went to New Orleans recently and saw a number of Max's paintings for sale in a gallery. The gallery owner said that Max told him he had been recognized recently by someone who said, "I know you! You're a famous artist! You're...Andy Warhol!"

So one of the paintings was a portrait of Andy Warhol, wearing Max's trademark mustache, entitled "Self Portrait."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Heehee. :)

Yeah, so I guess this guy is most famous for his pop art-y, Yellow Submarine-esque prints and such. Those are fun but it was his painting work that really struck me. I love this, for example:

For some reason, I can't find the ones I really liked in the book I saw.
Last edited by yovargas on Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-The Decemberists

axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I like his paintings more too...if only because they don't feel dated, the way his prints from the '60s do. But to be fair, part of the reason they feel dated is because they were SO popular and "cool" in that brief window of time...it may take another fifty years to be able to look at them without people immediately thinking of what they were doing in 1968. :D
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Speaking for myself, I was learning long division. :halo:
Alys

Post by Alys »

I just noticed that Yov rated my favourite Mrs Mackintosh painting as his number two, what good taste he has!

I saw the original of the painting in my sig this weekend and was literally blown away by it. It was in a totally perfect setting too the, Mackintosh designed, Art School in Glasgow. I can't remember being more moved by a piece of art.

The Art School itself is also wonderful, as Berhael will probably agree, a perfect meld of beauty and practicality. Such attention to detail and such a passion for perfection! :love:
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Ooh, yes, I loooved that Mackintosh. I went online in search of more in that wonderful style and could only find a couple others, to my disappontment.
-The Decemberists

axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Reminds me a bit of Klimt, and a bit of Aubrey Beardsley, that Mackintosh does.
Alys

Post by Alys »

Here's a link to a google search for Margaret McDonald Mackintosh which has a few more of her Gesso panels. And here's one to Charles Rennie Mackintosh's paintings, although he's probably most famous for his design and architecture work.

I'm probably biased because they're Glaswegians ;)
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

yovargas wrote:Anyone heard of Peter Max? Found saw a book of his art at the store and instantly fell in love with his paintings. Those colors!
Yes, Peter Max was very popular when I was a lad.