Christian Music

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Me too. :(
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

For those who might be interested, the choir of Chichester Cathedral in which my son is a chorister, sang Evensong live on BBC Radio 3 this afternoon.

It will be repeated on Radio 3 next Sunday 19th June at 16:00, but can be heard anytime over the next 2 weeks on the BBC radio iplayer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b011tyx3

Evensong from Chichester Cathedral on the Eve of the Feast of St Richard.

Introit: Prayer of St Richard (Louis Halsey)
Responses: Clucas
Office Hymn: Let saints on earth in concert sing (Dundee)
Psalm: 78 (Oakeley, Ouseley, Crotch, Goss, Atkins, Howells, Finzi, Mann)
First Lesson: Numbers 27 vv15-23
Canticles: Sumsion in A
Second Lesson: John 10 vv11-16
Anthem: You Have Seen the House Built (Will Todd)
Hymn: Thanks be to God for his saints (Lobe den Herren)
Organ Voluntary: Pièce Héroïque (Franck)

Sarah Baldock (Organist & Master of the Choristers)
Timothy Ravalde (Assistant Organist).

Chichester has a reputation as one of the finest (even though it's one of the smallest) choirs, and are particularly renowned for their psalm singing. The BBC chose to come to them on this particular day, the 15th of the month, on which the longest psalm (Psalm 78, with 73 verses) is appointed. It was sung today to 8 different chants...

Another item of interest in the order of service, the anthem by Will Todd, was commissioned especially for Chichester Cathedral's 900 anniversary of its consecration in 2008.

Enjoy!
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Talking of Evensong ... I was driving back from Birmingham, West Midlands, yesterday. The M1 is one of my least favourite roads in Britain but even the M1 was transformed into a vision of misty loveliness on a pearly-pink, silvery-grey November afternoon.

I tuned my car radio to Radio 3, just in time to catch the most sublime Choral Evensong from Lincoln Cathedral. :love: The choristers were INCREDIBLE. :bow: Here's the programme:

Live from Lincoln Cathedral on the Eve of the Feast of St Hugh of Lincoln. (Who he? :D I learned a lot about him during the service. :) )

Introit: Christe Jesu, pastor bone (John Taverner)
Responses: Tomkins
Hymn: O God, thy loving care for man (Exultet caelum laudibus)
Psalms: 133, 134, 135 (Ley, Stainer, South)
First Lesson: Ecclesiasticus 50 vv1-22
Canticles: The Fifth Service (Tomkins)
Second Lesson: Hebrews 12 vv18-end
Anthem: Wie lieblich sind deine Wohnungen (Brahms)
Hymn: Come, lift your joyful voices (Ellacombe)
Organ Voluntary: Allegro from Symphony no.2 op.20 (Vierne)

Aric Prentice (Director of Music)
Colin Walsh (Organist).

I'd not heard the Brahms before. :oops: Here it is. :) Gorgeous! Based on Psalm 84, 'How lovely is your dwelling place’.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqpEYsOZymQ

The organ piece was astonishing. :shock:
Last edited by Pearly Di on Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

That link didn't work for me, but I found it elsewhere. Very lovely! :)
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Oops :oops: fixed link in my post now. :)
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Oh, I just thought maybe it didn't work for me because I'm in the US. :blackeye:
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

The Brahms is one of my favourites, too, Di - though I've only sung it in English! - it's taken from his Requiem, which I sang last year with a local choral society.

Have to say I adore the Taverner - simply Divine! :love:

Have to put a plug in here for my youngest son, who will be singing the treble solo in this piece by Richard Lloyd in the Advent Procession service at Chichester Cathedral on Saturday: Drop Down, Ye Heavens

http://youtu.be/Nrz5wnF28ps

Last year he sang it from up on top of the Arundel screen and it was spectacularly effective
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Elentári wrote:Have to say I adore the Taverner - simply Divine! :love:
Yes, I love 16th century polyphony. :)
Have to put a plug in here for my youngest son, who will be singing the treble solo in this piece by Richard Lloyd in the Advent Procession service at Chichester Cathedral on Saturday: Drop Down, Ye Heavens

http://youtu.be/Nrz5wnF28ps

Last year he sang it from up on top of the Arundel screen and it was spectacularly effective
Woo-hoo! :) What a talented boy you've got there!

It must be amazing to sing in a cathedral choir. 8)
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

That is beautiful and powerful, Elen! :love:
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Pearly Di wrote:
Woo-hoo! :) What a talented boy you've got there!

It must be amazing to sing in a cathedral choir. 8)
Yes, being a chorister parent is very exciting: hearing my boy is both awe-inspiring and nerve-wracking at times! It gives me great pride yet makes me feel quite humble...

For him, it's a truly fabulous opportunity, and a lot of hard work, but he loves it, and his dedication reaps its own rewards.
~Diana Cortes
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Elentári wrote:Yes, being a chorister parent is very exciting: hearing my boy is both awe-inspiring and nerve-wracking at times! It gives me great pride yet makes me feel quite humble...

For him, it's a truly fabulous opportunity, and a lot of hard work, but he loves it, and his dedication reaps its own rewards.
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
OK, now I've had a chance to listen to it.

That is gorgeous. Unearthly. Heavenly. :love: Love the plainchant bits but it's all exquisite. I'm a big fan of dissonant harmonies. 8)

I Googled the composer and I see that he lives in Leominster. :)
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

OK, two wonderful Advent carols for the season: :)

O come o come Emmanuel

This is just so beautiful. Love the words.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWLltU9a ... re=related

Lo, He comes with clouds descending

Charles Wesley rocks! Some of the artwork in the clip is a bit, errrr, kitsch :blackeye: but I like this arrangement by Rutter, and the choir don't sing too slowly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08cGl44S ... re=related
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

"O Come, O Come" really is a wonderful piece, and its simplicity lends itself readily to many different arrangments...

...and those are both great treatments - loved the brass fanfare for "Lo,", though I prefer the descant we sang yesterday, by David Wilcocks, to this one! Nice to see St Edmondsbury Cathedral again - fond memories for me a while ago now.

Talking of Advent music, the service at Chichester Cathedral went superbly well, and I enjoyed some music which was new to me ( Ad te Levavi by Patrick Gowers) as well as some old favourites, such as Britten's Hymn to the Virgin, which is so magical:

http://youtu.be/7YxGReDqUWw

It turns out that the choir is going to be recording Advent music for a CD in February next, so hopefully my son's solo in the Lloyd wll be immortalized - yay! :)
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Elentári wrote:It turns out that the choir is going to be recording Advent music for a CD in February next, so hopefully my son's solo in the Lloyd wll be immortalized - yay! :)
Well, nearly a year on, I'm peased to say that the above CD is now available! It is a fabulous combination of plainsong, including the Great Advent Antiphons, well-known hymns and organ pieces, and wonderful anthems for the Advent season, celebrating the journey from Darkness to Light...

My personal favourites (apart from the Lloyd!) are Naylor's "Vox Dicentis," Goldschmidt's "A Tender Shoot" and Gibbons' "O Thou the Central Orb"

The cheapest way to purchase the CD is direct from the Cathedral Shop although it is available on Amazon and elsewhere...

As there is no track listing online so far, here is a scan from the CD itself:

(click to enlarge) Image
~Diana Cortes
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Oh, that looks like a wonderful CD!
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

That does look wonderful! :) Congratulations again!
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Sorry to butt in, but can anyone recommend a good recording of Britten's Ceremony of Carols?
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I don't really have a recommendation myself, Jude, but I thought this thread might help, (even though the Op was looking for an all female version!)

http://www.classicalmusicguide.com/view ... 55&start=0

Have to say the 1996 Sony Westminster Abbey Choir sounds good to me, since I love Ian Bostridge! :love:
~Diana Cortes
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Thanks for the link - I listened to the samples and I believe I've chosen the version I want.

I haven't heard the whole piece through since my choir did it back when I was in university - way, way back in the last millennium.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

If any one has the time or inclination to listen, my son's choir will be singing live on BBC Radio 3 this afternoon - 15:30 GMT

Live Choral Evensong from Chichester Cathedral
Duration: 1 hour
First broadcast:Wednesday 13 March 2013 Live from Chichester Cathedral as part of 'Baroque Spring' - a month long season of baroque music and culture.

Introit: Salvator mundi (Blow)
Responses: Reading
Office Hymn: O cross of Christ (Albano)
Psalm 69 vv1-22; vv30-73 and Psalm 70 (S.S.Wesley; Naylor; Battishill; Chipp)
First Lesson: Exodus 4 vv1-23
Canticles: Fourth service (Batten)
Second Lesson: Hebrews 10 vv1-18
Anthem: Vinea mea electa (Poulenc)
Final Hymn: Praise to the holiest in the height (Gerontius)
Organ Voluntary: Prelude & Fugue in B minor - BWV 544 (Bach)

Sarah Baldock (Organist & Master of the Choristers)
Timothy Ravalde (Assistant Organist)
My son tells me he has a solo treble line in the Batten... :love:
~Diana Cortes