Christian Music

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Oh, right...I just realized that in my hurry this morning I got my Palestrina mixed up with my Pergolesi :doh:

Here's the gorgeous "Suscepit Israel" Bass and Tenor duet from Pergolesi's Magnificat :love:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI13PwPymHs

It was the Palestrina Missa Aeterna Christi Munera Agnus Dei I couldn't find!
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Oh, I do that all the time. Has anyone ever seen them in the same room together? :suspicious:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

A puppy, Prim? Hehe, sweet! :D

Crucifer, it may be easy to sing the notes, but it's still not easy to sing them well. ;)
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Primula Baggins wrote:Oh, I do that all the time. Has anyone ever seen them in the same room together? :suspicious:
:D

I love classical music as well. I will listen to the links when Freddy is not napping next to me. I don't want to scare him awake with Palestrina or Pergolesi. :P

In Christ Alone and The Power of the Cross went well today. People may have thought my vibrato on my pennywhistle was especially haunting today. It was nothing more than me quaking in my boots, as I was so nervous this morning! :rofl: (Our pastoral candidate preached this morning, and we voted on him afterwards.)

Now I don't know about that side of the pond, but Chris Tomlin's music is very popular over here for contemporary worship services.

Here are 3 other songs we did this morning: (I'm just now realizing all 3 of them are Chris Tomlin songs! LOL!)

Your Grace Is Enough

Amazing Grace (My Chains Are Gone)

Not to Us
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Pergolesi's Stabat Mater is :love:

Oh, and Rachmaninov's Vespers. :bow: I have the recording done by the Corydon Singers, which I can't recommend highly enough. Such magnificent music, and so haunting and worshipful. The Russian Orthodox liturgy is so very rich.
Lalaith wrote:In Christ Alone and The Power of the Cross went well today. People may have thought my vibrato on my pennywhistle was especially haunting today. It was nothing more than me quaking in my boots, as I was so nervous this morning! :rofl:
Glad to hear that. :hug:
Now I don't know about that side of the pond, but Chris Tomlin's music is very popular over here for contemporary worship services.
Here too. :)

Lali, have you heard of Kathryn Scott? She's from Northern Ireland and writes beautiful worship songs. Here's her lovely 'At the foot of the cross':
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsc1QSw6 ... re=related

Continuing the Celtic flavour, here's Joanne Hogg of the band Iona (one of my favourite Christian bands of all time, with their fusion of folk, jazz and rock) singing 'O, the deep, deep love of Jesus'. She has a beautifully pure Irish voice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I63j9FUe ... re=related

Joanne and the band singing 'Treasure':
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMppT0MdWMg

The Kells theme from Iona's stunning 1992 album 'The Book of Kells' (I just love this album):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MINkOVgQjk0

'Matthew the Man' from the same album (I often hear this haunting music played at a local garden centre!):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_Qefxfv ... re=related

Quite a powerful collection of images ...
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Pearly Di wrote:Oh, and Rachmaninov's Vespers. :bow: I have the recording done by the Corydon Singers, which I can't recommend highly enough. Such magnificent music, and so haunting and worshipful.
I have to admit I'd never heard of it before we started rehearsing it. :oops: :)
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Crucifer, it may be easy to sing the notes, but it's still not easy to sing them well. Wink
Well, yeah, but that goes for pretty much everything. :P

We sang a men's voices eucharist this morning, so there were only 8 of us.

Mass Setting: Duruflé's 'Messe Cum Jubilo': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZDzo2hRhZs (This is just the Benedictus, which is a solo. The choir parts were organ reductions. This guys voice annoys me. Duruflé is basically fancy plainsong, which is not what this guy is doing. :( )

Motet: Byrd, Circumdederent Me. Alas, YouTube doesn't have this stunningly simple work.
Why is the duck billed platypus?
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Just dropping by to say that the Lotti "Crucifixus" went really well tonight - we had an hour of music and readings for Palm Sunday, culminating with the Lotti, so our voices were feeling the strain by the time we got to it, especially as we'd been rehearsing for an hour beforehand too. We sang it in a circle around the font in our church, which is under the tower and has the best acoustics. The experience was truly exhilarating! :happydance:

We also sang Shütz's "Praise be to thee, Lord Jesus", Farrant's "Hide not thou thy face" and Geoff Weaver's arrangement of "What Wondrous Love is this?" :)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Woo! This morning I was Jesus!
(In the sung Passion Gospel that is)
Funny thing is, the Evangelist was sick so a bass from the choir had to do it, and another Bass didn't turn up, so I was singing both the Jesus part and the Crowd parts...
"Crucify him!"
*goes for a walk*
"Eli! Eli! ect"
*goes for a walk*
"See! He is calling forth Elias"

Whee!

To add to the schizophrenia this holy week, I'm Judas in the passion for the Good Friday Triduum...
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Now that must have been amusing to watch! ;)

btw, Crucifer, I had the details through yesterday for our trip to Dublin - we're singing services Tues 28th July - Sun 2nd Aug. Will you still be around or are you going straight off on holiday somewhere?
~Diana Cortes
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Aw, we're on holiday, and I'll probably be at home in Cork...
Or maybe in London somewhere...
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Elen and Crucifer, your experiences sound wonderful!

We performed our Easter cantata yesterday. I disliked this arrangement of music quite a bit. It was overblown & schmaltzy. Nearly every song built to a climax...and then had a key change. So you're like, "Okay, now it's done." Uh, nooo, here's another key change. And another. And another. (I am not exaggerating.) All building on one another, bigger and bigger and bleah. Overblown and very annoying. It was nothing for a song to feel like it was ending 6 times.

But we did all right with the songs, and a few weeks ago I did not think that would happen. I also sang my solo well, so I am thrilled with that! (Where the Nails Were)

Di, I do like Iona. I'll have to check out their Book of Kells CD. Kathryn Scott sounds lovely! I've never heard of her.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Crucifer, Too bad... :(

Lalaith, who was your Easter Cantata by? I sympathise with you over the endless key-changes - even John Rutter can be too much for me sometimes! ;)
~Diana Cortes
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

The music was arranged by David Clydesdale. Really, he normally does a better job on things like this. :( He is not my favorite arranger for church choral music, however. Robert Sterling usually does a very good job.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Doesn't mean much to me, but I'll have a look for clips of his music on Youtube and educate myself!
~Diana Cortes
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

You can find clips of the musical cantata we did here:

http://wordmusic.com/products/book.cfm?UPC=080689737176

Here is an example of a song written by Stuart Townend and orchestrated by Robert Sterling:

http://wordmusic.com/products/book.cfm?upc=080689638275

We did this Christmas musical a couple of years ago. Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence would be a good one to listen to:

http://wordmusic.com/products/book.cfm?upc=080689385179
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Are any of you familiar with Liam Lawton? I've just returned from a workshop with him on his new Liturgical collection, "Healing Songs". Some very nice pieces in there, including a nice reworking of "Seinn Alleluia".
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

No, I've not heard of him. Sounds intriguing!

<goes off to search>
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Some audio clips from the new collection here...

http://www.liamlawton.com/liam-lawton-sound.html
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Al, that sounds just lovely. :)
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal