BBC's Sherlock

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Re: BBC's Sherlock

Post by Alatar »

And Season 3. But think of each of them as a trilogy of movies instead. They are Feature length.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

I am hoping they may repeat Season 3. I can get PBS, and saw half of the wedding episode, and all of the final ep. on that station. Since PBS is offering them free online to viewers, I hope they may be re-broadcast as well, even though their website makes no mention of the program, except for the online streaming videos.

So, probably a faint hope... :(
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Finally got around to watching S2 & 3. This show has such a weird thing going - a cast of fascinating, hugely entertaining characters with excellent performances and whip-smart dialogue...plopped into the middle of some of the stupidest plots I can recall making myself sit through. Though overall I do enjoy the show, the constant back-and-forth from "OMG that moment was SO wonderful!" to "OMG that moment was SO dumb!" gives me an exhausting case of whiplash. I know Watson and Holmes are a helluva lot of fun to watch but I'm surprised by how much slack the show seems to get for all its monumentally dumb "mysteries".
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

This show is on my to-watch list, so I'll ask, in a non-spoilerish way: are the "stupid" plots based on the books, or are they wholly new for the TV series?
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

The books. Take it up with Arthur Conan Doyle ;)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Really? Are they all based on the books? Including the insane Season 2 finale?
-The Decemberists

axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Ah. But I see the show decided to take it a step further and have John (and us!) see the fall which is that whole thing soooo :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: .
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I think it is brilliant.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

You're wrong. :P :P :P :P :P :P
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Well, I'm glad we got that resolved!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Case closed!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

If anything, it's even more illogical in the books. In the TV series, only Sherlock's allies know that he is alive. In the book, Sebastian Moran sees Holmes climbing up the cliff and knows that he is alive. So what is the point of not telling his best friend that he is not dead when his enemies already know it?

But personally, I find BBC Sherlock enjoyable mostly as an interpersonal level between Sherlock and John, and in that sense season 3 was sheer fan service.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

I love the show more as a character study than as a case study.
And I guess that's the intention of the makers as well.

Moffat: "It is not a detective story. It is the story of a detective."

or something of that ilk. ;)
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Okay, PBS is re-running Season 3 as Masterpiece Mystery on Sunday nights. I caught the first one last week. Maybe I would have liked it better if I'd been able to watch Season 2 first... It was rather...disjointed.

Anyway, finally was able to watch the whole of the wedding episode. Damn, it was GOOD! Last time, I caught it half-way through, then fell asleep before it was over. (It was on very late at night!) This time, it started at 9 pm, so I was able to stay awake.

Would like to see it again...some truly marvellous moments: the whole business of the stag party and bar crawl, Sherlock persuading Watson's former commander to open the door, then Watson rushing in to help him...um do I need spoiler tags for this??

Of course, it wouldn't take much effort to pick the plot to pieces, as usual, but the acting and writing are just SO good, you are willing to suspend disbelief, and just go along for the ride!

I plan to catch the final episode next Sunday. It's the only part of Season 3 I've seen in its entirety. Will be interesting to see what fresh insights a second viewing will bring.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Okay, saw Season 3, episode 3. I forgot that the first time I saw it, there was something ELSE on that I very, very much wanted to watch, so I kept flipping back and forth between the two programs. Hmmm...not a good way to watch something. It was the first time I'd seen Sherlock on TV, and I was already familiar with the other program I was watching, so since Sherlock was the 'unknown quantity' it got short shrift. When the other program was over, I was able to watch the last halfl-hour of Sherlock uninterrupted.

Needless to say, it fared MUCH better when watched without interruptions! In some ways, the dialogue reminds me of my favourite TV show from the '60's, The Man From U.N.C.L.E. Yes, the plots were way out there, but still managed to grab your interest, and create tension, and that, combined with the chemistry between the characters and the snappy, witty dialogue kept you riveted to the screen. (U.N.C.L.E. was a James Bond clone, and Ian Fleming actually had some input at the start of the series. He was the one who chose the name "Napoleon Solo" for the main character. The show tanked in its 3rd season, when they went too camp in order to compete with the new Batman series. Napoleon dancing with someone dressed in a gorilla outfit didn't go over too well with fans... you can only expect them to suspend disbelief so far! :()

Back to Sherlock: Some of the dialogue is just priceless (apologies if the quotes aren't quite accurate!)

The best lines from tonight:

"Are you trying to dissuade me from helping you?"

"No, I'm trying to recruit you!" (How well he knows Watson!)

"Did you bring your gun?"

"Why would I bring my gun when you invited me to your parent's place for Christmas?"

"Did you bring it?"

"It's in my coat!"

"I have Mrs. Hudson on more or less perpetual mute."

And, of course, that perfectly timed "The game's afoot, Watson!" :D It just made me grin like crazy!
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

New trailer is up for the special. I don't much care for Holme's new hairdo. It's much too severe, and doesn't suit him. I like his 21st century hairstyle much better!

https://www.facebook.com/Sherlock.BBCW?fref=nf
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I love it. I really do.

Except,
Hidden text.
in those days Watson would have said, not "Wear the damn hat," but "Wear the damned hat." But in the Strand Magazine story it would be "deuced."
And, Holmes's hair is period. Greased down with macassar oil. Not flattering, but it was what men did. It's how Holmes looked in all those magazine illustrations by Sidney Paget—the definitive images of the man for a century.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Benedict has a stalker:

https://ca.celebrity.yahoo.com/post/131 ... le?retry=1

But that's not the worst news for Sherlock fans:
Sherlock will return to screens in January 2016 with a New Year’s special. The fourth series of the BBC drama has been commissioned and will begin filming in April of next year, to be aired in 2017.
Argh. We're going to go old and grey waiting for the next installment! :nono:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It's television with the intervals of waiting we're used to for movies.

Fortunately, also the quality!