The last movie you saw Thread

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: The last movie you saw Thread

Post by Frelga »

For elengil, although in this case I agree with yov.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

:rofl:

:grouphug:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

:grouphug:

Or, as vison often had it, :gropehug:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

If you guys can find a table flip smilie I will gladly add it. I couldn't find one (other than the one Frelga posted).

Also, there is no such thing as a move called "A New Hope". There is only Star Wars.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Primula Baggins wrote::grouphug:

Or, as vison often had it, :gropehug:
:( aww.. I remember that...
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

The new Spiderman movie is really really really really really really really fun. I can legit say I've never seen anything like it before. So freaking cool.
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I’ve been thinking about seeing that between major holidays, just for fun. I’ve loved Spider-Man since I was a little girl.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

yov, really really? ;) :D :halo:
My heart is forever in the Shire.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Really!
-The Decemberists

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

They remade Spider-man again???
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It's not a remake. It's a side story, about a whole group of Spider-people, and it's animated.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Maria wrote:They remade Spider-man again???

I would say it's as far away from a 'remake' as it can get. It's really quite, ahem, amazing.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Vice

I’m in at least two minds about the film, maybe more.

On one hand, it’s very entertaining. Surprisingly so – if you had have told people in 2009 they’d one day be laughing through a Dick Cheney biopic you’d probably get some odd looks (then again, if you told them that Donald Trump would be the next President of the United States of America you’d probably get some even odder ones, so it might be fitting). Christian Bale’s chameleon-like qualities as an actor come out again. As young Cheney, he’s still Bale, albeit with Cheney’s facial tics and the timbre of his voice down to perfection. But as Bush-era Cheney, he disappears completely behind the mask of the enigmatic VP. I was enormously impressed by Richard Dreyfuss’ Cheney in W., but Bale is just as good. America’s 46th Vice President has provided fertile ground for actors.

On the other, it’s undeniably got a heavy anti-Republican slant, and ticks off on a lot of the left-leaning talking points against the Nixon, Reagan and Bush (Jr) Administrations. Biographers usually pick subjects they have some sympathy for, and biopics follow this pattern, albeit with frequently plodding results. Vice is more entertaining for being more critical. Still, I felt a bit of the same discomfort watching the film I’d feel watching an Obama biopic made by Fox News. And some viewers might find the mixture of quirky comedy and heavy political commentary (such as on the Iraq War) off-putting.

That said, Cheney is both a hero and a villain to the story. He is a three-dimensional human character with motivations, and is sympathetic as often as he’s sinister. And even then, he’s never repulsive. I doubt that he’d be all that happy with his portrayal, but it could be worse.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I've been in two minds about seeing it. I may.

Sent from a tiny phone keyboard via Tapatalk - typos inevitable.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I saw Bohemian Rhapsody yesterday. Even a total square like me thought it was a great movie and a wonderful tribute.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:D Yay!
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

District 9.

Yeah, very late to that party. I also was very much mistaken in my understanding of what the movie was about, so it was strange to watch at first expecting one thing and getting another. But once I sort of worked past that, it was a very interesting story.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Love that movie. Must watch again!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Has anyone else watched Bird Box?
Alatar