The Expanse

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Re: The Expanse

Post by Primula Baggins »

For anyone interested in giving the books a try, the first Expanse book, Leviathan Wakes, is $2.99 on Kindle today (in the U.S. market, anyway).
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I'm really, really happy to report that The Expanse was just renewed for a third season of 13 episodes.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Woohoo!!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I can't access season 2 yet; takes a long time by boat to the antipodes.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Just mentioning that season 3 of The Expanse premieres in North America, anyway, on April 11th. I'm very much looking forward to getting back to this story. The books are great (the latest, especially, which begins at a rather surprising point), but the TV series is a pleasure all its own.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

W00t!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Sooooo, halfway through the third season, last week, Syfy canceled The Expanse.

And tonight, at the International Space Development Conference, Jeff Bezos announced that Amazon is picking it up.

No other details, but what matters is that it continues. It is such a good show—the best SF show I've ever watched; one of the best shows I've ever watched. And it's hitting new high marks this season.

I'm very relieved and happy. :)
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Ah. I really need to get on to this series.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

One warning—it’s got an adult level of sex, scariness, and violence. And kids in jeopardy.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Very glad to hear this as I very much intend to get to this some day. :)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

What, the sex and violence? :D

Seriously, I think you’ll enjoy it. It’s excellent in just about every way. Hope Jeff Bezos will keep the effects budget up—the effects are so good they make the story better.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Primula Baggins wrote:One warning—it’s got an adult level of sex, scariness, and violence.
Sold!
And kids in jeopardy.
Well, I liked Jurassic Park.

But seriously, where can one watch this show? Aside from on Amazon, eventually.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Wait...if it's going to Amazon, does that mean I will no longer be able to watch it on Netflix?

Sent from a tiny phone keyboard via Tapatalk - typos inevitable.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Dave, season 3 is still on SyFy through the end of the season. Impy, Seasons 1 and 2 are on Netflix, and also out on DVD/BluRay. This may change.There should be more word on Monday, when the details of the deal are supposed to come out. Of course, Monday is a holiday in the United states, so Monday may mean Tuesday.

Trust me, I'll spill all the details here as soon as I have them. :D
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I couldn't find it on Netflix, but apparently "Amazon eventually" is more like "Amazon now."
Episode 1 was good.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

So I finally gave in and bought the first of the Expanse series on kindle. It’s gripping.

Prim, you owe me $9.99. Or maybe I owe you gratitude.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

:D

I love the characters soooo much. Particularly Amos, Bobbie, and Avasarala, who is faaaaaaar more foul-mouthed in the books—although I don't believe she shows up in the first book at all. That's one of the places where the TV show varies from the books. But I can't blame them. If I had the Shohreh Aghdashloo card in my hand, I'd play it early, too.

(There is speculation that in the Amazon seasons, Avasarala will no longer be bleeped.)
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Those are my three favourites too. They just leap from the page in Technicolor. (Aghdashloo is good, but the Avasarala of the books - cranky old lady who leaves a trail of pistachio shells - is better!)

Sent from a tiny phone keyboard via Tapatalk - typos inevitable.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I agree, but I can see why they went for a tall and glamorous old lady for television. She is still a foul-mouthed force of nature even without the pistachios.

The Reverend Anna looks a lot like my mental picture of her, though. And Amos is just perfect.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I hesitated to post my opinion because I know how much you like it - but I stopped watching after the first episode.

What got me is where Avasarala participates in the torture of a terrorist suspect. Especially since they seemed to be going out of their way to portray her as a good character: they show her playing with her grandson, then receiving a phone call, and saying "Excuse me, I have an unpleasant matter to deal with", and then showing the actual scene. The message is that torture is unpleasant but totally necessary.

Anyway, I was so disgusted that I returned the DVDs to the library without watching further.