The Expanse

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Re: The Expanse

Post by Primula Baggins »

As an SF writer I always enjoy reading a sentence that I know would have made no sense at all to me even 10 years ago. :P:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I was wrong. It is listed on hulu, but when you try to watch it you get a message saying to contact your TV provider. I don't have a TV provider. I guess I'll have to wait for the DVDs for this one.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Updates: The Expanse is returning to TV in January—the next season has been filmed—and has already been renewed for a season beyond that. Yay!

And, if you're curious about the books and have a Kindle, the first book, LEVIATHAN WAKES, by James S. A. Corey, is available today only for $2.99. I recommend it highly.

Finally, the sixth and newest book in the series, Babylon's Ashes, comes out December 6th after several delays.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Hooray! Third season already approved! :D
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I just reserved the book recommended by PRIM at my LIBRARY...
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I hope you enjoy it, Jude! I have low tastes in everything but music. :D

ETA: I love libraries. But I also love OWNING books. But the Expanse paperbacks are huge and make my hands hurt. So I love OWNING them on my Kindle. :P
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Primula Baggins wrote:I hope you enjoy it, Jude! I have low tastes in everything but music. :D
Wait a minute - are you saying that this book will appeal to my baser instincts?
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I need to check it out, then. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Jude, it will appeal to your baser instincts if enjoying a really good adventure story full of good characters, excitement, and humor is base.

Other than that, there is a distinct lack of explicit sex. While real violence occurs, it is not described in lurid detail (at least, none of it struck me that way). The horrific elements serve the story, rather than being gratuitous.

And (also unusual for the SF adventure genre) many people are married/partnered, many have children they take care of and worry about, and many even have religious beliefs*! I know. :nono:

*A wide range of religions, and there's no proselytizing; it's just presented as part of some-but-not-all people's lives, which I find realistic.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I suspect that Jude was making a musical pun. "Low taste in music" => "Bass"er instincts. ;)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Sorry . . . I've been copyediting all week like a crazy woman, and at this point the finer points of wordplay are about as opaque to me as the finer points of a fine French sauce to someone who's been eating Kraft mac'n'cheese for every meal all week. Burned out.

And now it's time for my first opportunity to write all week! :D
eborr

Post by eborr »

Expanse came to netflicks yesterday. I took the day off and binge watched the whole series. I thought it was top notch for a TV show
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I'm glad you liked it, eborr. I'm so used to being disappointed by science fiction TV shows, especially based on books I like a lot, that I think I've fallen for this series kind of disproportionately. But really. They actually bothered to do it right, and it works.

A major character who's new in Season 2 is an extremely tall female soldier of Polynesian ancestry, and what did they do but cast a strong-looking woman of Polynesian ancestry who's well over 6 feet tall. Lesser shows would not even have tried to find such a person, let alone one who was also a good actor.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Oh, do you have a pic? I assume you mean Bobby?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Yes, Bobbie Draper, space Marine.

Meet Bobbie Draper

More Bobbie Draper with on-set photos

I find her to be one of the most interesting characters in the books, which is why I'm so glad about this casting (assuming she's as good an actor as they say she is). To look at her might make you think she's like so many other amazon characters in SF and comic-book films—a fight scene or two, some set decoration. But there's an awful lot more to Bobbie, and after five books her story isn't yet over.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Wow. My first thought was she's a bit too pretty, but this pic right here... that's Bobby Draper!

axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

It's on Netflix now? Woot! There goes my binge time for the week.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I am so excited about this! I've just finished rereading the books and despaired of seeing the series bar buying the DVDs.

Posting on phone via Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I can't get the books on eNYPL :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Bah!

If you're on Amazon Prime, can you borrow them through Kindle?