Say it isn't so!

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: Say it isn't so!

Post by Inanna »

I read a NYtimes article about the tweets - and going only by the ones in that article I did not find them offensive. Now in Indian culture the bar for offensiveness is very-very high, but I thought the joke about "a woman being 10 times what she was"
And his response "You mean she become fat?" was funny - it's the kind of picking on imprecise language that I actually do find funny.

---------------
Please bear with my typos & grammar mistakes. Sent from my iPhone - Palantirs make mistakes too.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

August 6
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

So soon? Sigh.

---------------
Please bear with my typos & grammar mistakes. Sent from my iPhone - Palantirs make mistakes too.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I guess he wants to be well out of it before the presidential campaign gets much more intense.

*sigh*
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Yes, in that article V linked, he really doesn't want to cover 2016.

---------------
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

It looks like Samantha Bee is leaving too:

Voronwë the Faithful

I figured that would be the case when her husband left.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Who's her husband?

---------------
Voronwë the Faithful

Jason Jones
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

To be honest, I won't miss them very much. Their material was just not funny to me, much of the time. Some of the newer "correspondents" are much more consistent.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Nice Tolkien related Farewell from Colbert

http://www.vox.com/2015/8/6/9114849/col ... final-show
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

So, the new guy seems pretty good. What do the rest of you think?
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Oh my. I just al's post. How did I miss this!
Voronwë the Faithful

Jude wrote:So, the new guy seems pretty good. What do the rest of you think?
I like him. He's not Jon Stewart, but he isn't trying to be.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I didn't like his first show much—he seemed to be laughing at his own jokes—but I think he's definitely found his footing. He is not Jon Stewart, is not trying to be Jon Stewart, but he fits the show well. And his view (as a South African black man) is pretty much at 90 degrees to the politics and especially the racial politics of this country—like he's surveying it from the air, because he's never been part of it. It can be illuminating.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Alatar wrote:Nice Tolkien related Farewell from Colbert

http://www.vox.com/2015/8/6/9114849/col ... final-show
I missed this too! Awwww! :wooper: