Lived long, and prospered

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Sunsilver

Re: Lived long, and prospered

Post by Sunsilver »

You could see how frail he was becoming, and when they had him do the voiceover at the end: "Space: the final frontier..." I teared up, wondering if it would be the last time I'd hear his voice in a ST movie.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

It wasn't, though.

And I'm sure we'll continue to hear his voice, even saying those same words. After all, the "computer" voice is still Majel Barrett Roddenberry's, years after her death. It's never seemed creepy at all to me; just a quiet tribute the fans recognize.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

This just blows me away! FAVE was the sort of magazine I read as a star-struck teenager (16 Magazine was my favourite). It was very rare for ANY star to respond so personally to anything published in those magazines! Yes, you'd see them post a star's likes/dislikes, but the responses almost seemed 'canned' and you'd wonder if they'd actually spoken to the person, or whether they'd just been handed something by their agent!

But here Nimoy has Spock respond to a girl's question about how Spock deals with being a hybrid, as she is of mixed race, and doesn't feel accepted by either blacks or whites!

Edit: okay, the file is too large, so I will have to link to it. Unfortunately, the print is rather difficult to read, but Nimoy's response is beautiful!

Second edit: bless the Huffington Post! They did a much better job of posting the original article, and the print is easily readable! On the one I originally saw, I had to copy the article to my computer, so I could enlarge it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/1 ... 63113.html
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Joining his great crewmate is the young Ensign Chekov, the 27-year old Anton Yelchin. His death appears to have been a senseless and tragic accident.

His character was one of my favorite things about the new Star Trek movies. How sad that "live long" was not his fate.

If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:(

I know. It's very sad. I read just this morning that his vehicle is one that will be recalled (has* been recalled?) for this very problem. Here's the article: http://money.cnn.com/2016/06/20/autos/j ... d=25745588

*It's 5am. I'm not awake.