Marvel Movie Madness

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: Marvel Movie Madness

Post by Frelga »

Maybe they wanted to avoid the backlash of "Oh no, they killed Captain America"?

Evans and RDJ are absolutely iconic in their roles, to the extent that they are practically living them IRL. But RDJ announced he's filming Sherlock Holmes 3. And Evans has always said that he wanted to move on to other projects, and he played a very different character in Gifted. To appreciate his acting range, you need to see his earlier movies, like Push, Fantastic Four, or What's Your Number (you see a LOT of him in that one, and it's also boasts a who's whom* of the male leads of action and sci-fi).

Still, these are comic book movies. The characters don't have to stay dead.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Okay, I just found this posted in Callahan's Crosstime Saloon, and had to share! NO idea who the artist is... :D

And yeah, anyone who would put a beverage on the edge of a pool table isn't really thinking very clearly... :nono:
Attachments
How WWIII Started_n.jpg
How WWIII Started_n.jpg (37.22 KiB) Viewed 7203 times
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Someone's actually calling a high strength composite "vibranium".
https://news.thomasnet.com/featured/hyp ... =225285797
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I wonder what timeline that will be.

I was hoping for a Tales of Suspense adaptation where the Winter Soldier teams up with Hawkeye to find out if Natasha is really dead. It's amazing. One of the characters is a giant talking bear.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Those two are the light of my online existence.
Screenshot_20181105-095352.jpeg
Screenshot_20181105-095352.jpeg (57.64 KiB) Viewed 7034 times

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

We finally watched Black Panther last night, the first (and almost certainly the last) Marvel movie that I have seen.

I liked the music.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:We finally watched Black Panther last night, the first (and almost certainly the last) Marvel movie that I have seen.

I liked the music.
I'm not saying that Black Panther is a bad movie, not at all! Nor is it a bad Marvel movie, but I will say it did not strike me as having been made in the same vein as the other Marvel movies. There was not nearly the level of humor that the other movies bring - for good reason, it would not have fit the overall tone, but just to sort of caution not to judge too much based on Black Panther.

Again. Good movie, I did enjoy it. Would suggest not considering it indicative of the broader MCU movies.

If I had to suggest a good movie to start with, either Iron Man (the first one) or The Avengers (the first one) would be a much more expected tone for the series of movies in general.

Not to say you would enjoy them more...
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I would put the odds of V-man much liking any of the Marvel movies at.... not high. :P
-The Decemberists

elengil

Post by elengil »

yovargas wrote:I would put the odds of V-man much liking any of the Marvel movies at.... not high. :P
I admit to having very low expectations in some of my entertainment choices.
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful

I did actually like some aspects of the movie (not just the music). And I am relatively sure that I liked it quite a bit more than I would like any of the other Marvel films. yov is correct that it isn't my cup of tea.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Frelga wrote:Those two are the light of my online existence.
Screenshot_20181105-095352.jpeg
:rofl: OMG, where can I buy one?? :D

Did Chris respond?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Sunny, I haven't seen if Chris responded but I imagine he will. I've seen the waffle maker before on Amazon. Apparently it's a decent appliance, but I don't make waffles.

elengil

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote:Sunny, I haven't seen if Chris responded but I imagine he will. I've seen the waffle maker before on Amazon. Apparently it's a decent appliance, but I don't make waffles.
Did you know you can make cookies in a waffle iron? Because you can totally make cookies in a waffle iron. Just in case you didn't know that, I thought I'd share. Because waffled cookies.
was a 2020 planner.

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

elengil wrote:
Frelga wrote:Sunny, I haven't seen if Chris responded but I imagine he will. I've seen the waffle maker before on Amazon. Apparently it's a decent appliance, but I don't make waffles.
Did you know you can make cookies in a waffle iron? Because you can totally make cookies in a waffle iron. Just in case you didn't know that, I thought I'd share. Because waffled cookies.
:pancake: [rabbit with a cookie on its head]*

:cheerleader: Love you guys! :toast:

Frelga, you are making me want to go against my better judgement, and join Twitter! :nono:

* Or maybe it's a waffle...
Last edited by Sunsilver on Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

And that's a lot more than I'd be willing to pay for a waffle maker!

https://www.amazon.ca/Marvel-MVA-278-Ca ... ffle+maker
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Sunny, that's odd. The American site has it for $21, as does Walmart.

I follow some really cool sources on Twitter, on topics from medieval manuscripts to funny animal videos, and it's great for on the ground, up to the minute news when something big is happening. As long as I avoid reading too many replies and ignore bots...

Voronwë the Faithful

It's a pancake. It will always be a pancake.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

pancake eternal
:bow: :pancake:
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Voronwë has spoken! :bow: And as I recall, he was the one who added that thing to the board.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King