TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Post by elengil »

Prim, that's awesome!! Before I lost it off Hulu and Netflix, I had been going through all the originals, got up to Doctor 5 before I lost them. :cry: The only ones I haven't seen of the original Doctors 1-4 were the ones they lost the original footage from. I know there has been an attempt to restore using the original sound track and I think animated footage?? That would be awesome, but I haven't seen it.

I suppose I really do have to subscribe to Britbox now.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

It's just such a treasure. And the show is unattainable on DVD (it's obtainable, but it costs a mint for a single story—as much as three months of Britbox!). We own exactly two classic Who DVDs, "Pyramids of Mars" and "Genesis of the Daleks."

I did recently get my hands on reasonably priced DVDs of some old BBC shows that were among the first to be brought over to the States as Masterpiece Theatre: The First Churchills and The Pallisers. Churchills is about the first Duke of Marlborough and his wife, and their varied fortunes. It's got Susan Hampshire as Sarah Churchill, whom he marries when she's 17, and John Neville as John Churchill who eventually becomes a Duke. Lots of Cavalier-age Court intrigue, with many Cavalier King Charles spaniels on view (King Charles II is usually carrying one). It's witty and fun. The video quality is not modern, but it's in color, and it's so well written and well played that I don't care. My brother and I watched some of it together when he was out here for Christmas—we saw it as children and both adored it. It held up fine. (Of course, being BBC, the sets, costumes, and outdoor settings were all exact, detailed, and gorgeous.)

The Pallisers is based on six Trollope novels and is set in the Victorian age. Susan Hampshire is also in this one, playing Lady Glencora, the sparkling and initially unwilling bride of Plantaganet Palliser (Philip Latham), a duke's heir whose main interest is politics. There's a lot of political history, but also many fascinating characters on the fringes of history, and very believable characters who change over time—it covers about 30 years.

One of my happy memories is of telling vison about this show—she adored Trollope's novels, but didn't know this 24-part series had been made out of six of them—and she found it and LOVED it. :love: She thought they were perfect adaptations and most of the characters were cast exactly right. It made me so happy to have given her half the pleasure that posting with her for years had given me.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I've been curious about the early Dr. Who's but didn't have a source. Maybe we'll try Britbox after we get done with "Teen Wolf"
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

So, all three seasons of The Expanse (my favorite TV obsession these days) begin streaming worldwide on Amazon (200+ countries) on February 8th. Season 4 is filming now and will also stream on Amazon. (The first two seasons are already streaming on Amazon in the US.)

It's only the best science fiction television show ever made, in my humble science-fiction-writer opinion. Season 3 is killer, but then they all are. This show is tops for writing, acting, production values, scientific accuracy, humor, and scares, and at the center is a human "found family" you care deeply about. (That last aspect reminds me strongly of Firefly.)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Woo hoo! Been wanting to watch this at some point and now that it is on Prime I can! :)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I should get to watching this. But I would be watching it alone, so that sucks.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

:( Maybe when Irika is older she might like it (and not be too young for the scares).
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

It is indeed awesome.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I’ll try and watch it. If I watch it on my iPad, I can even watch it at night when R and I are chilling together. I know I will love it - it has just been sooo long since we have watched TV that it seems like an alien concept.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
elengil

Post by elengil »

I've been spending a lot of time on the couch sewing and making crafts lately and occasionally sweetie joins me (but the couch is pretty uncomfortable for him) and when he does we'll binge episodes of Lucifer. It isn't terribly intelligent or, y'know, accurate, but it is super funny at times, especially watching sweetie's reaction.

If you haven't heard of it, the devil decides he's tired of being a torturer in hell so he comes to LA and opens a night club. :roll:
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

I'm binging through Veep season after season. That show is crazy fun. (It's by the same writer as The 'Death of Stalin')
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I'm up to season 5 with Teen Wolf. I've enjoyed the series so far, but the bad guys in Season 5 are particularly disturbing. :help: :scarey: I don't like horror, and the show has stepped over the line now. If this wasn't the next to last season, I might drop it. But, I'm sure the "big bad" will be defeated by the end of the season, so there's hope for Season 6.

Meanwhile: :shock:
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I watched the first episode of Miracle Workers. Wow, that's some early post-Soviet levels of cynicism.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I just finished the 7th and final season of Once Upon a Time. I recommend this show to anyone!

Now I'm watching the first season of The Crown...
elengil

Post by elengil »

Jude wrote:I just finished the 7th and final season of Once Upon a Time. I recommend this show to anyone!

Now I'm watching the first season of The Crown...
I admit, I couldn't get into season 6 and stopped watching pretty early on. It just felt so repetitive by that point, but oddly it also felt like it had lost part of what made it a *fairy tale* show. Which is sad because I had really enjoyed it at first, but admittedly was losing interest around season 5 already. :(

Still, I would recommend it to anyone as well, they may have better luck with the later seasons than I did.
was a 2020 planner.

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Things take a completely different turn in Season 7. You might want to give that a try...
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I gave up on that one in season 2.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

And I gave up at the end of season 1. :P
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Are the last two posts talking about Once Upon a Time or The Crown?
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Once upon a time, for me.