TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
anthriel
halo optional

Re: TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Post by anthriel »

Alatar wrote:I adore Kilgrave in Jessica Jones. Such a frightening concept.
I dunno. I think I've seen this sort of character before, someone with a superpower that makes them a very dangerous spoiled brat. Actually, one of the original Star Trek series episodes had a character like that. It's amazing how many ideas I they touched on in that series.

Have you seen Daredevil, Alatar? What do you think of Fisk?

What's particularly scary about Fisk, to me, is that he's NOT a magical character in any way. He's an abused child, an overweight kid, whose experiences have made him... skin-crawling EVIL. While still almost being someone that you can relate to and even (dare I say) root for from time to time.

I likes it. I likes it lots.
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Fisk is excellent. Kilgrave is an order of magnitude scarier. Fisk has a flawed nobility, but Kilgrave is psychotic. Fisk is powerful and dangerous, but Kilgrave can use your own power against you, force you to mail or kill yourself, your friends, your family. They are both far more compelling than the average villain, but to me Kilgrave is more complex even when he seems less so. Fisk is the damaged child who grew up strong, Kilgrave has no strength of his own, so relies on others. He's petulant at times, manipulative at others, far cleverer than he lets on and also more vulnerable. In Kilgrave I think we see that absolute power, while it may corrupt absolutely, is inherently unsatisfactory. If you can force people to feel whatever you want, how can you ever make a real connection. That's Kilgrave's strength and weakness in one. To me its far more interesting than a well educated Mobster.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

I'm not sure that Fisk is just a well-educated mobster. :) I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

anthriel wrote:I'm not sure that Fisk is just a well-educated mobster. :) I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Well I'd need some compelling evidence to the contrary. Really, is he any more than Tony Soprano dialled to Eleven? Yeah, he's more sophisticated, but he's a still just a sensitive, charismatic psychotic.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Just popping in to say that I'm loving Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. :D I've gotten J hooked on it, too, and I recommended it to Katie, too. Very funny!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

It does have downsides. Like when your 15 year old son is singing "Period Sex"...
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Lol! Then it's good that I am watching it on my own. ;) I'm still singing The Sexy Getting Ready song.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Not entirely safe for work:

:rotfl: Maybe you have to watch it in context to appreciate the humor (because, believe me, it is darkly humorous), but this made me laugh so hard last night!

Of course, this also made me laugh because this is how I feel when I'm getting ready to...have a few people over!

anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Alatar wrote:
anthriel wrote:I'm not sure that Fisk is just a well-educated mobster. :) I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Well I'd need some compelling evidence to the contrary. Really, is he any more than Tony Soprano dialled to Eleven? Yeah, he's more sophisticated, but he's a still just a sensitive, charismatic psychotic.
I'm not sure any "evidence" I could contribute would be particularly compelling to you, since we are obviously afraid of different things. :)
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I went to watching Daredevli. Unlike pretty much anything else Marvel, they have pretty good Russian and at least one of the sinister Russians is played by a native speakers. It just makes some things so much more hilarious.

For example, they had the subtitle "Get Sergei on the phone" while the guy said "Call Peter."
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Nin
Ni Dieu, ni maître

Post by Nin »

Frelga, I watch "The Americans" and at least to my ears many of the actors playing Russians are Russian-speakers. Is it true? Do you know and/or watch the show? I really like parts of it because it feels so 80ies.... (and the Cold War was the time of my political awakening - in a still divided Germany, with the western part protesting against American nuclear weapons...)
"nolite te bastardes carborundorum".
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I've seen the promos for The Americans, and it looks promising, but I haven't watched the show yet.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

eborr

Post by eborr »

Just watched the first episode of American Gods, I will not say any more, because I am not entirely sure what to think, except that it's worth watching.
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I'm more than half-way through Season 3 of Once Upon a Time, and I'm still hooked.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Stuff I'm currently watching...

The Man in The High Castle - Season 2
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
Orange is the New Black - Season 2
House of Cards - Season 4
Peep Show - Season 3
Rick and Morty - Season 1
Supergirl - Season 2
Marvel Agents of SHIELD - Season 3?
Doctor Who - Season 10
Crazy Ex Girlfriend - Season 2
The Walking Dead - Season 3
The Expanse - Season 2
Black Sails - Season 3
Vikings - Season 4

I have no time...
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Clearly!

I kind of fell off of the Crazy Ex-Girlfriend bandwagon; I'll need to get back to it.

I'm watching Frankie & Grace. (Grace & Frankie?) Even funnier this season. I never realized how much I like Lily Tomlin. She and Jane Fonda make the show, along with the adult children. The ex-husbands are the weakest links.

Waiting for The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt season to come out on Netflix. :D

We're waiting for a night to start the new Anne of Green Gables series on Netflix.

How is Vikings? I've heard good things, mostly from women telling me how hunky the actors are.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I'm still only halfway into Daredevil S1.

1 episode into American Gods. As an adaptation, it started really well and the casting is brilliant. I'm not sure why I am not more enthused about it. Could be me - I am at emotional simmer about most things these days. Could be hubby watching with me - he's just not into the eeriness. The sex-and-violence quotient is similar to the book, although the screen makes it more visceral.

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Lalaith wrote: How is Vikings? I've heard good things, mostly from women telling me how hunky the actors are.
I enjoy it. Its kinda like a toned down version of Spartacus (which was a guilty pleasure of mine). I like the fact that its loosely based on historical figures but doesn't get too po-faced about it. Also, for the feminists, Lagertha rocks. :) A Warrior woman, not in the chainmail bikini sense, but in the totally badass sense.

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I'm watching Sense8 season 2. It's just as good as the first season. :) We've got one more episode tonight and then wait another year, I suppose. *sigh*

I liked the first couple of seasons of "Vikings", but we kind of stalled out and never got back to it.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Sense8 is on my list of shows I'd like to watch if I can ever wrestle any TV time from hubby watching sports.