TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Re: TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Post by Lalaith »

It does suck, doesn't it? :(

I watched one episode of Santa Clarita Diet (Netflix show). That was not to my liking whatsoever. Drew Barrymore is one of those people whom I think is super nice and seems like she'd be a really fun, awesome friend, but I don't know if I've ever liked her in any role she's played. In any case, I'm not into grossness for the sake of grossness, and the whole concept just doesn't work for me. (Other than the asshole cop neighbor. ;) )

Besides:
Hidden text.
Mal/Castle is a douche who gets eaten at the end, and nah. That's not cool with me. ;)
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I'm actually loving the Santa Clarita diet, against my better judgement. Can't help it, I just think its funny!

Anyone watching Crazy ex-Girlfriend?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I wanted to like it. :D

I'm not watching the other show. Is it any good? On Netflix? What's it about?

(I'm still bingeing through Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries, which I keep typing as Miss Fisher's Murdery Mysteries. :roll: It's nothing super amazing fantastic, but I like the characters.)
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend? The clue is in the title... ;) Its a musical TV show about a high powered lawyer who gives up her career to move to West Covina to follow her high school crush!

On another tack entirely, I've decided I'm getting tired of the same quirky characters with snappy self deprecating comebacks that have become ubiquitous since Joss Whedon pretty much created the archetype in Buffy. I'm halfway through the second series of the excellent "Humans" and really enjoying properly written normal human beings.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Both sound intriguing.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Humans sounds good, I think we'll try it. :)
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

While my son was coming down from sedation, we tried a few things, and settled on 30Rock. It was sufficiently entertaining for a few episodes. He said it was funnier if you imagined Fey and Baldwin as their SNL versions of Palin and Trump.

Still haven't found a show to rival Agent Carter, just saying. ;)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Its not really the same, but try Man in the High Castle Frelga.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I... can't. I really can't right now.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

The first episode of Humans was really quite good. :)
Thanks, Alatar! :)
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

First episode of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend done. I wasn't sure at first, but by halfway through I was :rofl: . It's quite funny!

The Sexy Getting Ready Song was hilarious!
Nin
Ni Dieu, ni maître

Post by Nin »

Westworld.... wow.
"nolite te bastardes carborundorum".
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Not brave enough for Westworld. But I sure am enjoying Stranger Things. (I know, it's so last summer, but our streaming device died more than a year ago and we didn't get a replacement until Christmas—when we got two. And the Amazon one has voice search!)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

It seems that all the new shows that people like are the ones that feature graphic violence, and I don't need that in my life right now.

I keep hearing about Stranger Things, how traumatizing is it?

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

My filters are wearing a bit, but I don't think the scares in this show come from violence. For one thing, most of the main characters are children. It is quite scary, but mostly in the old fashioned way, where something is frightening because you can't quite see it and it looks ... wrong; or there's some danger the viewer knows of that the characters don't; or something jumps out of the dark. It's horror because it sends chills down your spine. Not because it makes you feel sick.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

FWIW, I stopped watching Stranger Things because it kept getting scarier and scarier, and I am not a fan of that. It is very well written, though, and I wish I could make myself keep going with it. But that's just not the way I work (or Sarah, either).

I'm not a fan of graphic violence either, even when it's campy or supposed to be funny, like Santa Clarita Diet. I won't watch TWD or GoT either (the latter more for the rape stuff, which I also don't do).

Real life sucks enough; I don't like to make myself miserable on purpose. YMMV.

(That being said, if I recommend something, you can be sure it's probably pretty benign. ;) )
Nin
Ni Dieu, ni maître

Post by Nin »

What is TWD and what means YMMV? (Sorry I know that I am the only non-english speaker left, but this is the kind of stuff that makes it really difficult sometimes)

I found Stranger Things way scarier than Westworld, precisely because it was so much more real and so much more close to my reality as a child in the eighties (although, of course the American suburb setting makes it very fictional again). Westward is so clearly fiction that the violence does not touch me. I watched a few episodes of Mr Robot and found it very sickening because it was so real and the behavior which was depicted could take place right next to me.

But I think I just have a butcher's soul. The psychological and philosophical interrogation of Westworld is clearly worth it for me and I think that living in a sugarcoated world is not a solution.
"nolite te bastardes carborundorum".
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

TWD = The walking dead
YMMV = Your mileage may vary; phrase used to say "here's how I feel, you may feel differently"

:)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

I just don't get the whole zombie thing...too gross, too scary.

And the vampire thing just got RIDICULOUS!! Sparkly vampires!! Oooh! Aren't they supposed to COMBUST in sunshine?? :roll:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

yovargas wrote:TWD = The walking dead
YMMV = Your mileage may vary; phrase used to say "here's how I feel, you may feel differently"

:)
I didn't know these either, Nin....
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude