TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Re: TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Post by Alatar »

Season 2 of Sense8 is on our list too. We're up to the Christmas Special./
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

For the most part, Sense8 does a really good job portraying telepathic/empathic communication between distant people... but there has been at least one instance in Season 2 where I said, "What? Wait! What just happened? I don't understand!" :? Fortunately, my husband got it and was able to explain so we didn't have to rewind. That's always annoying when streaming.

I wish they'd release it on DVD so I could rewatch season 1 without eating up our capped bandwidth. :bang: Although, that might be a bit disorienting since they replaced the actor playing Capheus. :suspicious: They handled the switch very, very well, but if I go back to season 1 now, it'll be the *wrong* guy playing Capheus. :nono:

I keep wondering where they are going with this story. Considering who thought it up, the final complete story is bound to be amazing. :)
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Alatar wrote:
Lalaith wrote: How is Vikings? I've heard good things, mostly from women telling me how hunky the actors are.
I enjoy it. Its kinda like a toned down version of Spartacus (which was a guilty pleasure of mine). I like the fact that its loosely based on historical figures but doesn't get too po-faced about it. Also, for the feminists, Lagertha rocks. :) A Warrior woman, not in the chainmail bikini sense, but in the totally badass sense.
Spartacus was a guilty pleasure of a few people I know. ;) The Tudors is/was mine. I'll keep Vikings in mind then! I think I have it on my watchlist already.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I'm watching Schitt's Creek now. It's quite funny!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Three episodes into American Gods. It's really good, guys! Excellent cast, gorgeous imagery. But dang, was it really impossible to find someone who can pronounce Vechernaya?

P.S.: but it's not child-friendly. Full frontal.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
eborr

Post by eborr »

Really spoilt at the moment, American Gods, my favourite Gammon novel, Twin Peaks not seen yet, saving this for a binge watch, a new season of preacher starting in June, he goes on a road trip with Tulip and Cassidy, and the waiting for Expanse 2 on Netflix
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I'm now binge watching Murder in Paradise. It's a hoot!
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

We ran out of bandwidth very early in the month, quite mysteriously, so we have switched to watching DVDs of SG1. We suspect all the computers in the house downloaded huge Windows updates and ate up much of it. :( This happened about halfway through the month. :bang:

We picked a random season of SG1 and on the first disk we tried, 3 out of 4 of the episodes were ones we hated. :scratch: Finally we thought to check the season. It was Season 8, when the quality of the show really started to drop. *sigh* So I shut my eyes again and grabbed a new season and it was Season 4. That one is fun to watch. :D And it wasn't long before my favorite episode of all popped up, "Window of Opportunity" or the Ground Hog's day episode as we call it. :banana:

We get our internet connection through a cell phone hot spot, so we talked to Sprint but were unsuccessful in finding a better plan. Ours is technically unlimited, but after 40GB, it throttles down to a 2G connection, which is not enough to support video. :( We could buy more high speed data, but it costs $15 per GB and one GB is only about an hour of streaming video. It seems to me that they are using the high price as a deterrent to keep people from overloading their hardware.

Anyway, the price is really not worth it when you consider all the DVDs and blurays we've bought over the decades that we didn't have internet fast enough to watch video on. Many of them are great watching over and over. :)
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Sense8 is cancelled. No season 3 will be forthcoming. :(
https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/1/15725 ... ason-three
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Aw, that's a bummer, I was going to get to that one eventually. Hope it gets a proper ending.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Nope- the close of Season 2 left much undone and if they aren't doing more, then it is very much an unfinished work.

I've cancelled our Netflix subscription in retaliation. It is a futile gesture, I know. *sigh*
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

So was anyone watching The Leftovers?
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

No, what's it about? I'm nearly done with Schitt's Creek. (I still think it's quite funny, and I've enjoyed it!)
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Glad you enjoyed it! I'm told there's a new season on the way.
eborr

Post by eborr »

American Gods episode 7 a thing of wonder and lyrical beauty
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Slightly OT (and cross-posted on b77):

I couldn't think of a better place to post this question. I'm wondering if Dave, Al, or anyone else might know. J is interested in a 4K TV. She wants one between 42"-55", netflix, roku, sling, hulu, etc. Any suggestions or recommendations?

OT: I stumbled into Flaked on Netflix. I'm about halfway through the 2nd season, even though I haven't quite decided if I like it. :roll: The main character (Will Arnett) is kind of a d*ck, honestly, but it's had a few nice plot twists along the way. And I'm liking a few of the other characters rather well. Totally got sucked into that one. :neutral: But the writing is good, and I'd recommend it on that alone. It has a very subtle comedy to it.

(Oh, there's nudity every now and then in case you want to be warned about that kind of thing.)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Or enticed by it. :D
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Lol! There's that, too, and it's a decent mix of male and female; so there's that.

Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Don't know about TVs, sorry. The last one I bought was an "HD-ready" CRT more than 10 years ago.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Shoot, Dave! You were one of the ones I was hoping might know.