TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Re: TV obsessions—come on, admit it!

Post by Jude »

Schitt's Creek - my sister says this is the funniest show she's seen in years. So I've reserved season one at my library...
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Thanks for explaining, yovi. I didn't know them at first either (or many other acronyms I come across), so I just ask or look it up. It's not just a non-English speaker issue. One thing I love about this community is learning new stuff.

Schitt's Creek has a great title anyway! I'll look for it.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Lali, I absolutely love Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries. Very entertaining, if not exactly cerebral.

I enjoyed “The Crown,” although I kept expecting Phillip to take Elizabeth for a spin in the blue box.

Nothing else has grabbed me lately, although I’ve kept up with “Timeless.” It’s pretty absurd — most time travel shows are riddled with plot holes, and this is no exception — but I like to watch that actor who was the Croatian doctor on “ER.” His name escapes me at the moment, and I’m too lazy to Google.

Mostly I watch news shows. At work I watch multiple news shows on 12 big screens. This is not necessarily good for my mental health. :x
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Lali, I absolutely love Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries. Very entertaining, if not exactly cerebral.
:sunny: Exactly, and it's entertaining without feeling like it's cheesy or trashy.

I thought the same thing with The Crown. :D

And, no, news shows are not good for your mental health. :(
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Last night I watched Grace & Frankie on Netflix (or Frankie & Grace) and really enjoyed the silliness of it combined with just great acting from some wonderful actors - Martin Sheen, Lily Tomlin, Jane Fonda and Sam Waterston. Thoroughly recommend it for a laugh.

Posting on phone via Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I enjoyed that show very much! I'm waiting for the next season to come out. :)
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Nin wrote: I found Stranger Things way scarier than Westworld, precisely because it was so much more real and so much more close to my reality as a child in the eighties
I'm sorry, Nin, maybe this is once again because we grew up speaking different languages, but I don't understand this. Stranger Things is "close to reality"? Stranger Things, to me (at least the "violence" part of Stranger Things), is totally UNreal. I love the interaction of the children (isn't Spielberg involved in this? He's so good at these kid interactions, I loved Super 8 and Stand By Me). The violence in Stranger Things is all other-worldly and very fictional, to me. GREAT show, by the way. I love it.

I recently saw a show called Home Fires, which I really liked, although I only could find one season. It's about British women organizing food and other supplies for their local community during WWII. I also enjoyed Foyle's War, and Doc Martin. (I seem to like British shows, recently. :)) I just started watching Death in Paradise, which is a murder mystery type show with a unique premise... uptight UK cop solves mysteries on a gorgeous tropical island.

Grace and Frankie was a real revelation about Lily Tomlin. I think I love Lily Tomlin. :love:
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I'm three episodes into Marvel/Netflix Daredevil. I find it good as a vigilante hero shows go, with an added interest of filling in the corners of the MCU. The bad guys are exploiting the construction boom that came with rebuilding the damage from the battle in the Avengers.

The actor who plays the main character is adorable, and the premise of a blind hero works to interesting effect.

The violence so far is mostly of hand-to-hand variety, and it's depicted more realistically than in a PG-13 movie, but not played up for gore. So far, again, it is usually between people who signed up for it by being bad guys or choosing to fight them, and when the innocent people are targeted, they are usually protected. It looks like the focus of the show is on the cost of attempting to do the right thing as an individual when the mechanisms set up by society fail or are exploited for evil.

It's a million times better than the Ben Affleck movie, which I dropped 15 minutes in.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

I've loved Lily Tomlin since the sixties, when she was a regular on Laugh-In!

When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Nin
Ni Dieu, ni maître

Post by Nin »

anthriel wrote:I'm sorry, Nin, maybe this is once again because we grew up speaking different languages, but I don't understand this. Stranger Things is "close to reality"? Stranger Things, to me (at least the "violence" part of Stranger Things), is totally UNreal. I love the interaction of the children (isn't Spielberg involved in this? He's so good at these kid interactions, I loved Super 8 and Stand By Me). The violence in Stranger Things is all other-worldly and very fictional, to me. GREAT show, by the way. I love it.

No, I don't think it's the language in this case.

It's the setting in sTrange Things, it's set in reality, in a real town with real looking children in a time I knew. People react like real people with emotions I could feel. A mother and her child missing: totally real. Her desperation: real, understandable, touchable - this could be me. Reality. The violence of the the feeling's of the mother touches my heart and soul. The monster does not scare me.

Westworld is the future and a future which does not look like I imagine it. It does not touch me emotionally. GoT is alike. These persons - they are fiction, they react and act in situations which I would never have to confront in reality. I will never have to fight a battle or a dragon or shoot in a salon. No scare.
"nolite te bastardes carborundorum".
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

The mom missing her child IS scary! Again, I think it's Spielberg, and he is just so good at these kinds of things.
I will never have to fight a battle or a dragon or shoot in a salon.
True. But the violence in Stranger Things has to do
Hidden text.
with a telekinetic, psychic child opening a portal into another dimension, where there is an intelligent Monster who harvests the bodies of people.
Also not something you are likely to encounter. :)

It really is a good show, though. And I have never seen Westworld.

Sunny: That is literally the only exposure I had to Lily Tomlin before Grace and Frankie. She is SUCH a cutie!

Frelga: I really liked Daredevil! The violence is rife, but so stylized it doesn't upset me at all. The TV in our lab breakroom was tuned to Saving Private Ryan the other day, and I walked in to a VERY graphic scene which still haunts me. That was real. That war really happened, those things really happened. That's tough to see.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

anthy likes Daredevil! I feel validated. :)
I also realized that the show was prescient in portraying a lawyer as a hero. ;)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

eborr

Post by eborr »

I liked Daredevil, but I didn't take to the other associated shows Jennifer Jones and Like Cage.

However the show I have been watching most this week is The Grand Tour, one probably shouldn't admit to it in polite company, but it's a show which I find consistently lol funny
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

eborr wrote:I liked Daredevil, but I didn't take to the other associated shows Jennifer Jones and Like Cage.

However the show I have been watching most this week is The Grand Tour, one probably shouldn't admit to it in polite company, but it's a show which I find consistently lol funny
I liked Jennifer Jones well enough, but not as much as I like Daredevil. I couldn't finish watching Luke Cage.

I have a friend at work who keeps telling me I need to watch Gotham. Has anybody seen that?
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Anthy, I gave it a try, but it was far too dark for my tastes. :(
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I haven't watched it but from the ads it looked like my nope. I think I figured my limits out - I don't like the shows where the violence seems to be the point, like, look, we are an edgy and dark show, look how gory we are. Daredevil didn't trip my wires because it's more "look, this is the price you pay when you go up against the bad guys."

anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Well then forget it. I agree... dark for dark's sake is a waste of my time.

But Daredevil... MAN, I think I kept watching it over and over just to soak up Vincent D'Onofrio's Wilson Fisk. Bad guys tend to be pretty one dimensional, in my cinematic experience, and this guy? Amazingly layered character. He is damaged and tender and miserable and thoughtful while also being incredibly, incredibly violent. He knows he's not a good guy, but he really is a sensitive soul. Under the murderous layer, that is. What a great character.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

anthriel wrote:But Daredevil... MAN, I think I kept watching it over and over just to soak up Vincent D'Onofrio's Wilson Fisk. Bad guys tend to be pretty one dimensional, in my cinematic experience, and this guy? Amazingly layered character. He is damaged and tender and miserable and thoughtful while also being incredibly, incredibly violent. He knows he's not a good guy, but he really is a sensitive soul. Under the murderous layer, that is. What a great character.
I thought it was interesting that BY FAR the most interesting, compelling villian in any of Marvel's many live-action tales has been on a TV show. Both in terms of writing and in terms of acting, Fisk is light years ahead of anything the Marvel movies have offered for villains so far. (And I say this as a fan of the Marvel movies.)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I adore Kilgrave in Jessica Jones. Such a frightening concept.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

yovargas wrote: I thought it was interesting that BY FAR the most interesting, compelling villian in any of Marvel's many live-action tales has been on a TV show. Both in terms of writing and in terms of acting, Fisk is light years ahead of anything the Marvel movies have offered for villains so far. (And I say this as a fan of the Marvel movies.)
I'm still only three episodes in, so this is not a disagreement about Fisk. But I thought Redford's Pierce was an amazing villain, because everything that made him look like a good guy for most of the movie was genuine.