Quick puzzle

A forum for games, puzzles and sports-related discussions.
The One Ring
Rank Amateur

Post by The One Ring »

I don't think I'd eat that. :nono:

:rofl:

Jn
I haz no mod powers! BUT ...
pic from icanhascheezburger-dot-com
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Cool questions. :D Though I only understood number two when I saw the answer - LOL.

Hmmh, I guess it was only a matter of time before someone here started dissecting the list, right? =:)

:halo:

So, I don't think that the list of punctuation marks is correct.
AFAIK, a hyphen is the line that connects two words, so it's not used for punctuation. I could imagine the word is sometimes used in the same sense as 'dash' - but then they can't be listed as two different things.
Apostrophes also are an item of orthography, not sentence structure.
I wonder whether all three kinds of brackets should be considered punctuation marks, as only parantheses are commonly used to separate parts of a sentence. Brackets and braces tend to be restricted to academic uses of different kinds.
And, as with dashes and hyphens, if you use the term interchangeably, you shouldn't list them as separate items. (Actually, I hadn't even known that brackets and parantheses are not exactly the same thing - I just looked it up and was surprised there's actually different definitions, although they are apparently also used interchangeably.)
I've never even heard of an ellipsis in the sense of a symbol in printing, and haven't found it in the dictionary, either.

And the most common words with 'dw' for a Tolkien fan are 'dwarf' and (as yov said) 'dwim'. :D
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.