FIFA World Cup 2010

A forum for games, puzzles and sports-related discussions.
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

FIFA World Cup 2010

Post by Hachimitsu »

Alright the first week has gone, and I think I have found the right forum this time.

So who is enjoying the World Cup? Hosted for the first time by an African country (Woot!!), South Africa.

Any predictions? Favourite game so far? Any particular upsets? (Mexico vs, France was quite interesting.)

Alright don't have much time, but I have been getting my footy fix and I thought I would start a thread on it :D
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I've been enjoying it very much, Wilma. It's happening at the opposite end of the day for me - the first match of the day is telecast live at 9 pm Melbourne time, the last match of the day commences at 4 am - so I'm up all night watching. Or rather, I'm up nights lately anyway due to stress-induced insomnia, and having the Cup matches on to watch has been a life-saver.

Obviously, I'm interested (and devastated by) Australia's results, though I don't actually enjoy watching the Oz matches; too emotionally invested! Much prefer watching other teams because I can enjoy the strategy unfolding and the wonderful footwork.

A lot of teams are playing in a very lacklustre, defensive fashion though; not really playing a natural game at all. I hope the standard of play opens up more in the forthcoming rounds.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Hilarious and topical... :rofl:

Gandalf goes to the World Cup
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I'm not usually one to complain about officiating, but can anyone explain to me what possible justification the referee had to disallow the the third goal the U.S. scored in their game against Slovenia? I've watched the clip over and over, and I can't see anything by any U.S. player that looks remotely like a foul. And in fact I don't think that he even specified which player it was on.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Elentári wrote:Hilarious and topical... :rofl:

Gandalf goes to the World Cup
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :smilespin:

"You...Shall...Not...Breathe!"
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

France is out of the World Cup. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

*extreme shock*

Woot!! for Ghana advancing!!!! :hooray:

EDIT: Italy is now out too!! they won the last time. *shock*

For today, I will be cheering for Japan as Cameroon isn't going to make it. (I change cheering teams alot). First the Carribean, then African Nations, then Asian Nations. Within Europe I cheer for England (Commonwealth and all that), I don't cheer for Brazil (since they are the powerhouse, and I find I support underdogs), and I don't cheer for the States (sorry). [osgiliation] I do think that goal should have been allowed though, it's just a refs decision is final, even if it's wrong. They can't even appeal it. I don't think it will hurt their chances of getting to the next stage. If it does then I will get royally pissed since the fans and the team has worked hard.[/osgiliation]

It seems a lot of the previously weaker South American nations have improved (in terms of football) and are up and coming which is good (I very occaissionally cheer for the South American countries, if the country has been through strife or is really really poor). That means footy has improved beyond Brazil and Argentina. So Woot!! This makes the games much more interesting. Also I do have to say Eastern Europe has shown some spunk too.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:I'm not usually one to complain about officiating, but can anyone explain to me what possible justification the referee had to disallow the the third goal the U.S. scored in their game against Slovenia? I've watched the clip over and over, and I can't see anything by any U.S. player that looks remotely like a foul. And in fact I don't think that he even specified which player it was on.
No one seems to know, V. Very infuriating.

And the offside given against US in the US vs. Algeria? Same story. They didn't even show the replay for everyone else to evaluate whether it was offside or not.

Given all this, US finished at the TOP of their Group. So awesome.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I don't follow soccer, but I've seen at least parts of some games because my older son does. I did see the big goal in the U.S. game that put them through to the next round—that was really fun. I love joyful moments like that. And it's always satisfying to see a team that has had some bad breaks (including in that same game) win through anyway.

We'll be watching the U.S.-Ghana game on Saturday. My son says anything from this point on is a bonus for the U.S. team. Even if they lose to Ghana and are eliminated, they still got farther than they were supposed to get.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

My son kept a page from Sports Illustrated that predicted the outcome of all the games and keeps track of the actual results. So far they have about 50/50 record, or basically the same as random guessing. It is a valuable lesson to him in not trusting predictions of the "experts."

The Brazilians I spoke to say they are willing to give up this World Cup in exchange for a better chance of winning the next one, which will be in Brazil. Because, they say, if they don't, the team will have to flee the country.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

Frelga, it's so true!!!
*giggle*

For the US, they made it to the final 8 last time (at least) It was quite shocking since Trinidad made it to the final 8 too. I would expect for the US to make it to the final 8. I am not sure how things have gone between U.S. and Ghana in previous world cups.

Brazil may be willing to give it up this time but what about France and Italy getting sent home this time? it's an utter humiliation. I am sure both teams will make sure that won't happen again and get a lot stronger. That is what happened to the US a few cups ago, since one year they lost every match and then the next time they became contenders. France and Italy are football powerhouses. (Italy won the last world cup and France won the 1998 cup)

Looking at the standinngs for this tournament, New Zealand ranks higher then both of them. :shock:
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

France is hurt by not having their star player, Zinedine Zidane.... however the main problem is their coach. They will be better in the next world cup, Domenech's contract expires now...

The European main soccer club seems to be floundering - Spain was the hot favorite coming in, they lost to the Swiss and now its down to the last game of their group to see if they will advance or not. They have one additional goal point than the Swiss.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

France's problem was they had no damn pride. You play for your country. Fight with the coach at home. It disgusts me that Ireland were knocked out by Henry's handball and then they don't even TRY???
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

We've been enjoying the Guardian's snide minute-by-minute live blogging of the matches almost as much as the matches themselves.

My husband almost missed his flight this morning because he had to watch the end of the Italy-Slovakia game!

:)
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Serbia's out and the US is advancing and thus S and I avoid an awkward marriage situation.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

<envisions a Serbia-US match with S and River on opposite ends of the couch, snarling faces painted in national colors, vuvuzelas poised>

Er, yes, bit of luck there.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Alatar wrote:France's problem was they had no damn pride. You play for your country. Fight with the coach at home. It disgusts me that Ireland were knocked out by Henry's handball and then they don't even TRY???
On the other hand, it serves them right for not getting into the final 16 after the way they qualified....
Lurker
Crazy Canuck

Post by Lurker »

Hey, Wilma I miss Toronto during World Cup. All the cars have those little flags on the window and the mini-parades. I don't see it here in Calgary. I was going to put a French flag on my car during the start of the World Cup but Princess said "Don't even think about it. This is not Toronto." Good thing I didn't they lost. Hahahah!!! :P

I'm rooting for Spain now, since my grandmom is from Valencia, so that makes me part Spanish. What shocking about this World Cup is, a few of the bottom feeders are moving up. I want to see an Asian team win, though, maybe Japan.

My Portuguese descent friend was almost going to strangle me when I said, soccer is boring, give me hockey and basketball anytime. :D Yeah, I don't follow it much, but my colleagues at the office are not concentrating on their work lately because of this. Whenever I go to the lunch room somebody shouts can you check the score please. I'm like it's on the net, it's going to be the same, it's not basketball. :blackeye:

Go Spain!!!
“Lawyers are the only persons in whom ignorance of the law is not punished.” - Jeremy Bentham (1748 - 1832)
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Uruguay advances defeating S. Korea 2-1. Good match!
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

The US is out and England is out. I am stunned, but Germany has been doing pretty well. I think Germany will be the only survivor from this South American take over.

I missed both games yesterday as I was out all day, but my dad told me both games were really good and controversial. Anyone wanna fill me in?

Brazil vs. Chile looks really interesting today (or tonight depending on your time zone)
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

UK versus Germany????

Controversial, yes...good??? not if you are English! :rage:

We just seemed to lose heart after the wouldbe equalizer that everyone saw except the match officials, and instead of coming out for the second half with all guns blazing, they allowed the Germans to sink them without a trace...

England have underperformed the whole tournament, though :(
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes