2012 Olympics (spoilers for tape-delayed events)

A forum for games, puzzles and sports-related discussions.
halplm
hooked

2012 Olympics (spoilers for tape-delayed events)

Post by halplm »

Starts in about 12 hours now... I'm pretty excited :).

Just soccer games for the next couple of days, but it starts to get crazy on Saturday.

I still haven't decided if I want to try to watch a lot of stuff live that happens essentially in the middle of the night here on the west coast... or if I can cover pretty much everything I want to watch by getting up a bit earlier than usual.

I do have up to 10 screens at my disposal for simultaneous watching if my internet could handle that... :)
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Anyone know a place to watch the Opening ceremony online live? NBC is refusing to stream it live, show it live, or allow anyone they can find to show it live online.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

A foreign outlet (BBC, CBC, etc.)?
When you can do nothing what can you do?
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

NBC seems to have it locked up, but I bet there are some sites that will be streaming some version of it live, although the quality may not be that good.

I don't understand why NBC won't do a live broadcast.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I missed the China opening ceremony's entirely and since people raved about it, I'm pretty miffed about it. I'd like to see these if possible but I have no TV antenna and neither do any of my friends. Suggestions?
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

CBC is showing it live.
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

If you have a cable or satellite subscription, you can see them on YouTube here:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/

The featured video right now is the entire Beijing opening ceremony in HD.

They are livestreaming a huge range of sports and events, from what I can see, and also simulcasting with their TV coverage. And you can watch it all on a tablet as well as a computer. It's free, if you have the cable/satellite subscription. You just have to go to then nbcolympics site and click a few buttons.

I realize this doesn't help you, yov, but some people may have this capability and not know about it.

There's even a full schedule of streamed events that you can click through and set alerts so you're reminded to get online, for example, at 2:25 am tomorrow for Piste 1 of the women's individual foil competition.

And there will be replays of major events.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Just sitting down to watch live here in the UK on the BBC! :P

Can't even begin to sum up how excited we are to be hosting the Games in our little country again after 64 years...it's a once in a lifetime thing for most of us and a piece of history my kids certainly won't forget. I'm sure London will do us all proud! :cheerleader:

and I'm looking forward to hearing about Lurker's experiences after it's all over!
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

I found a feed to watch I think, it's going now. tv.ourmatch.net

Can't get BBC or CBC or CTV or any of the other obvious places.

I think I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight, so the games start for me at 1:30AM with rowing ;)

Hopefully this feed stays up so I can see the opening.
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

The games start for me at 1:55 AM with swimming prelims, unless my friend tells me that I have to be at 8 AM spin class tomorrow, in which case I'll have to catch the replay. I'm planning to watch every single session of women's and men's swimming (prelims, semis, and finals) and likely everything in women's gymnastics including all prelims. I may try to catch a few random track & field, diving, and men's gymnastics finals, but only if I can first see everything in the first two categories. Probably not watching opening and closing ceremonies.

It's been a year since I've been on London time ... but planning to rejoin that timezone to the maximum possible extent without interfering with my own workout schedule this next week. :D So excited!
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

My plan is more ambitious, and likely impossible. I have a whole color coded spreadsheet of what I want to watch, but I could only go one day because the schedule is very complicated.

I was going to skip the prelim races tonight and sleep, but I've pretty much thrown that out the window at this point... might try to nap this evening, though.
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

My plan is more ambitious, and likely impossible. I have a whole color coded spreadsheet of what I want to watch, but I could only go one day because the schedule is very complicated.

I was going to skip the prelim races tonight and sleep, but I've pretty much thrown that out the window at this point... might try to nap this evening, though.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

I paid a one-time fee of $50 for satellite direct TV. I now have access to 3500 channels and am watching the opening ceremonies in real time.

Kiss my ass, NBC.

I love the parade of athletes.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Any idea how long the parade of athletes lasts?
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I love the spirit of sportsmanship and fellowship so amply demonstrated by the Lebanese Olympic team: they refused to practice next to the Israeli team.

And of course, the courageous IOC told the Lebanese team to honour the Olympic ideal or go home.

No . . . wait.

That's not what happened. The IOC erected a barrier.

What a bunch. Refusing to honour the memory of the Israeli athletes murdered in Munich. Allowing the Iranians, a few years ago, to insist that a man carry the banner ahead of them as they refused to follow a woman.

A more gutless and hypocritical set of cowards than the IOC is hard to imagine.

Enjoy the games.
Dig deeper.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

C'mon vison.

Make a thread in Lasto for how much you hate the Games. Let us have our thread here to enjoy it.

vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

JewelSong wrote:C'mon vison.

Make a thread in Lasto for how much you hate the Games. Let us have our thread here to enjoy it.
I won't say any more. :)
Dig deeper.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

vison wrote:
JewelSong wrote:C'mon vison.

I won't say any more. :)
On the other hand: it's hard not to be moved and amazed by someone like Jody Schloss, a disabled equestrian, who is competing in the Paralympics:

http://www.ottawacapitalcitynews.ca/201 ... -to-london

anthriel, read about this dressage rider.
Dig deeper.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

vison wrote:
On the other hand: it's hard not to be moved and amazed by someone like Jody Schloss, a disabled equestrian....
And I dare say there are many inspiring stories, in both the para Olympics and the regular games. I thought the opening ceremonies were amazing and did Great Britan proud. It's the big picture that matters.

JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Wow. The torch was awesome.