Super Bowl prediction

A forum for games, puzzles and sports-related discussions.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Super Bowl prediction

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I first need to preface this by saying that I in no way wish ill on Colin Kaepernick, who I think is a transcendently talented and overall impressive young man. And for the following to come true would such a ridiculously storybook ending that it can't possibly come true. But I'm going to predict it anyway, and get it down in writing now so that if it somehow does happen, no one can say that I didn't predict it.

As anyone who at all follows football knows, Kaepernick is the second-year quarterback who has led the SF 49ers to the Super Bowl. He became the starting quarterback when the incumbent quarterback, Alex Smith, suffered a concussion in the ninth game of the season. Kaepernick took over that game and started the next game when Smith was not cleared by doctors. He played very well. Smith was cleared for the next game, but the coach, Jim Harbaugh, stuck with Kaepernick, saying he wanted to be cautious with Smith's recovery. Kaepernick again played well, and Harbaugh ended up sticking with him despite the fact that Smith had also played very well this year, leading the league in completion percentage, and was third in passer rating, with very few interceptions and other mistakes. But Harbaugh concluded (correctly, though harshly), that Kaepernick's running ability and stronger arm gave the 49ers a different dimension, and his decision has certainly been validated by the teams run to the Super Bowl (last year with Smith they lost in overtime to the NY Giants in the NFC Championship game). Smith, who originally was a first overall pick and until last year was considered a big disappointment, although much of his struggles were not really his fault (being due more to injuries and particularly bad coaching before Harbaugh arrived than anything else), has handled his demotion with incredible professionalism and composure, helping young Kaepernick in every way he can, and not complaining, although he has to be terribly disappointed. One of the big storylines in the lead up to the big game has been what will happen with him after this season, whether the 49ers will try to keep him for insurance (even though he is due to make about 8 million dollars next year, compared to Kaepernick's half a million), or whether they will trade or release him.

So with that background, this is my prediction. Some time during the game, Kaepernick himself is going to get hurt (I very much hope not seriously! but enough to knock him out of the game), and Smith will end up leading the team to victory. That would be such amazing poetic justice that I can't really say that it is a "feeling" that I have so much as wishful thinking (again, though, with Kaepernick's injury being minor). But it occurred to me this morning, and I thought I would record it, just in case it actually does happen.

In any case, go Niners!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

As long as the Niners win, I'd be happy! :D
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

If sports ran on narrativium* , the A's would have been in the World Series. ;) Still, anything could happen.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

Off topic: the right team won the World Series this year. Just sayin'. (Unless it was the Red Sox, which clearly was not in the cards.)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I'm hoping to watch it Sunday night with a few friends. Its starting to become a popular fixture here. However, my full attention will be reserved for the 6 Nations, starting today. Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales, France and Italy in the most popular Rugby event in the Northern Hemisphere.

Oh, and Griffy, I thought you'd appreciate this one!

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Love it, Al!

[O/T]Ireland's off to a good start!

England take on the 'auld country' at 16:00 GMT...

C'mon England!!! :cheerleader:[/]
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

What other team is in the Super Bowl this year? (google is broken, apparently)

Alatar, the pads make NA football more dangerous, the players more prone to injury than in rugby; lessening the intensity of body surface pain causes some players to hit much harder than they should. When suited up, one feels as immune to harm as a knight in full plate. But really there is nothing protecting your joints, connective tissue, spine, nor even your brain from rattling around inside your skull after being hit way harder than you would have been without pads.

In Canada playing rugby is more popular among young women then it is young men. No conclusions are drawn except that rules affecting game flow appear to be more complicated for rugby than for NA football.

Back on topic, Voronwë that is a compelling narrative. I hope everyone comes through the "big game" no worse for wear.

ETA: Ah I see it is the 49ers vs the Ravens. Nice. I also read here that the head coaches for each team are brothers. (Sort of reminds me of the recent Tom Hardy movie Warrior.) Poetic potential abounds this year. :)
Voronwë the Faithful

Yes, the Harbaugh brothers (and their parents) are a pretty compelling story. Also, retiring Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis, who has gone from being accused of murder (!) to an icon of the game
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

as a good friend of mine pointed out... the niners would have lost the NFC championship game if Kaepernick wasn't playing (he said by 14 ;) )...

I am pulling for the niners, although I'll likely be doing homework during the game.
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

One of the managers at my work is from Maine and a long-running Patriots fan, so the NFL is a bit of a sore spot for him at the moment.

Oddly enough, the guy who sits next to me, despite being an Australian, is a Baltimore Fan. I'm not sure why, although it is very common for Australians to follow foriegn sports. I understand that he'll be taking annual leave tomorrow (these games are on during the day here due to the time difference).

I have no prediction as to the actual game, however.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

From my FB:
Though I have zero emotional investment in the game today, insofar as I am rooting at all it's for the Ravens, on the grounds that a literary allusion to Poe is superior to quoting the lyrics from "My Darling Clementine."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

It took him longer, but at half-time/blackout my son is predicting the same scenario as V.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Maybe the 49ers will just bring back Smith.... at this point, they are losing anyway.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

I figured that the 49er's would not be ready for the Superbowl this year and sort of half hoped they'd loose the NFC champ. game.

I watched the first quarter, saw the mess the 9'ers were making and knew I was right about them not being ready. Although I haven't watched football most of the year, only part of games (mostly 9'ers as I am a fan), I had figured out the NFC play off game was a bit odd.

Anyway after the black out, I switched to Downton Abbey. I missed last week and this gives me the opportunity to watch last weeks show now.

Also I heard the halftime show was pretty bad. Glad I missed it.
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Yeah the half time show was bleh... the game got better after the blackout though. I can't believe I'm saying this but the Seth Rogen/Paul Rudd Samsung commercial was worth staying up for. Also the Raven's QB dropped a clearly audible F-bomb during the after game mayhem. Small minds I guess.
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

I thought the Jack in the Box "That's how I met your mother" commercial was the #1 spot, with honorable mentions to the Doritos Goat, and the Seth Rogen/Paul Rudd Samsung one.

The game was disappointing, of course, as in the end I think the Niners played better overall, but there were a couple of key calls (or non-calls) that went the Raven's way and that's often enough to do it. If the Niners had played the way they did in the second half all game, it wouldn't have been close, but the same could probably be said for the Ravens and the first half... oh well.

It's time for Baseball now :) Go Cubs!
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I only stayed up for the first half. Headed to bed during Beyonce! Looked like being a whitewash at that stage, so I'm glad it turned into a closer game.

The Rugby was awesome too. :) Ireland beat Wales well despite a strong comeback in the 2nd half, England dominated Scotland, but showed some chinks in their armour that can hopefully be exploited, and the minnows of Italy toppled the mighty French in a stormer of a match. Looking to be an exciting tournament already. Ireland vs England next week will be a crunch match.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

While I feel compelled to support the local team, I am not sorry to let Baltimore host the celebratory riots.