The Tolkien Translation Game!

A forum for games, puzzles and sports-related discussions.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Re: The Tolkien Translation Game!

Post by Jude »

Anyone wanna make a guess? (preferably before I forget where I got the quote from)
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Is it from the Music of the Ainur?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Nope - later.

Well, I suppose everything would be later.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Copying to the current page...
Such interference is not complete. This song is not. Final cut gives a lively chorus, waiting for both sides!

Is it about Sam and Frodo's song for Gandalf?
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Nope - before that.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Hobbit or LotR?
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

LOTR
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Is it Merry in the Old Forest? "They do not like all that about ending and failing," said Merry. "I should not sing any more at present. Wait till we do get to the edge, and then we'll turn and give them a rousing chorus!"
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Hey, you got it! :cheerleader:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It was the word "chorus," <she said, gazing modestly down at her little white gloves>

. . . Ummmm, Translation Party says it has found equilibrium but won't reveal the result. Or am I missing something?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

That happened to me before, too. I think I solved it by using a different browser.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

All I have is Chrome and Safari, and neither one worked. Phooey.

I even unearthed Firefox and it didn't work.

Someone else should go!
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

The other thing you can do is use google translate and translate into whatever language you want and back again until you feel it's sufficiently altered.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I went and tried it and my quote was truncated to four utterly unrelated words on the third switch. If nobody else starts one, I'll try again tonight, but I have to get back to work at the moment.

Thanks, Jude!
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Translationparty is working for me (during a test it changed "Why did you do that, Boromir?" into "What do you mean, it isn't working?"). So if it's still not working for you, you could PM me your quote and I could PM you back the changed version. I could sit this round out, since I got the last one.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

OK, this time Google Translate came through, but I'm afraid this is an easy one!

Even if we are with us, we can not escape. The river can just run away. It is far away from the sea far from the Middle Ages.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

In Moria?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Yup.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Inanna, have you got the quote?
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Oh. No. Haven’t thought about the exact one. go for it.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude