It is currently Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4861 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233 ... 244  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:43 pm 
1000%

You are certainly on the right track. I will say that it is a group from one race talking to another member of the same race, talking about group from a different race.

If that makes any sense.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:30 pm 
2018 Fitbit Balrog*

If I remember, Elves didn't take kindly to men... so a group of Elves talking to an Elf, unhappy about Men. Calling Men "unfriends"? (Unfriends!! Tolkien KEEPS surprising me in his use of language. KEEPS!)

No clue about any specific characters, though.

'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:40 pm 

Location: Small drinking village with a severe fishing problem
Okay, I got super curious and I googled "Silmarillion unfriends" and found the quote. I feel that's sort of cheating so I won't spoil it but I do absolutely agree that Tolkien can surprise me with his words on occasion!

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:49 pm 
1000%

I personally don't think that is cheating, but your mileage may vary.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:54 pm 

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
I personally don't think that is cheating, but your mileage may vary.

Well I figured the point of the game (the fun of it, at least) is seeing if you can *find* the quote in the book, either because you recognize it, or you suss out who must have said it, or where it was said, etc. I mean, I can google anything, that kinda takes the skill out of it.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:58 pm 
1000%

That's reasonable, though I would guess that it is fairly rare that a google search would be of much help in this game.

I will say that I personally have an aversion to people saying they know the answer but not posting it (that is not meant as a criticism of you; others have done so too). In my mind, if you know the answer you should either post it or not say anything. But again, your (the general your) mileage may vary.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:00 pm 
Lán de Grás

If you've found the quote, I would say go ahead and post it - it could take the rest of us ages to find it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:02 pm 

Jude wrote:
If you've found the quote, I would say go ahead and post it - it could take the rest of us ages to find it.

...or y'all could google it. :rofl:

oh, alright.

Spoiler: show
Quote:
These folk are hewers of trees and hunters of beasts; therefore we are their unfriends, and if they will not depart we shall afflict them in all ways that we can.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:02 pm 
2018 Fitbit Balrog*

True. But yes, I agree with elengil.

'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:04 pm 
2018 Fitbit Balrog*

But who’s saying it to whom?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:06 pm 

Inanna wrote:
But who’s saying it to whom?

I said I found the quote, not the context. :P

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:25 pm 
1000%

I'm not sure what the point of putting it behind spoiler tags is.

Your turn.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:47 am 

Next translation:

Quote:
Perhaps a shadow of fog and trees and deep water, and something that is not available, for you are still afraid. I'm not afraid of anything!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:32 pm 
Lán de Grás

Is the last sentence fairly close to the original? Someone being boastful?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:51 pm 

Jude wrote:
Is the last sentence fairly close to the original? Someone being boastful?

The key words are very close, but the meaning has changed about 180.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:01 pm 
Lán de Grás

So the speaker is afraid? Of something specific?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:03 pm 

Jude wrote:
So the speaker is afraid? Of something specific?

lol 180 the other way - rather than the speaker indicating lack of fear, speaker is saying hearer(s) should not be afraid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:05 pm 
Lán de Grás

Hmm... is this one of Strider's pep talks during the journey between Bree and Rivendell?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:07 pm 

Nope

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:10 pm 
Meanwhile...

Tom Bombadil?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4861 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233 ... 244  Next