Fan Edits Discussion - Book I The Return of the Shadow

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Yov, Try downloading from here instead:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16581203/Red%20Book%20I.avi
Last edited by Alatar on Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

It's downloading...slowly. :D
eborr

Post by eborr »

Alatar many thanks for setting this up, I watched the first part approximately up to the part where frodo gets the ring, unfortunately the vid was corrupt after that. I must say, I am pretty impressed with an initial superficial view, of course anything which starts with the ring verse is on to a winner. Who was doing the narration at that point ?

I am in the process of downloading from your new source.
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

The Ring Verse is spoken by Christopher Lee. I believe its taken from one of the Tolkien Ensemble's CDs.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Sorry, Alatar, I cannot view the file. :(

It goes to the QuickTime page and then tells me I need other files, but I have no idea which. If you have any suggestions as to how I can download it, I'm open.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Alatar wrote:Yov, Try downloading from here instead:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9606056/Red%20Book%20I.avi
That one's even more corrupted - it won't recognize the file at all. :scratch:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Apologies guys. Re-uploading now to the first address.

Jewel, the files are in Divx format. Its the de facto standard for sharing video nowadays. You can install the free version from here:

http://www.divx.com/en/software/mac
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Thanks, Alatar. Downloading it now!
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

eborr

Post by eborr »

your second source worked fine
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

It would be fantastic if the Dropbox link worked for everyone as its far quicker and less error prone than FTP resumes. Can you give me more detail on the issue you're seeing Yov?
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

It's not the link, it's the file. The first one, around the 37 min mark the video gets corrupted and becomes gibberish. The 1st one only played a sec or two before doing the same.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Hmm. I downloaded that file myself and it was perfect. Also, eborr had no issues with it. Can you try deleting it and downloading again from the dropbox link? It might be worth installing the free version of Getright downloader is you're still having issues:

http://getright.com/

Its a fantastic tool and everyone should have it!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Ok, I've tested both of these links, and both seem to be ok.

http://www.the-outer-banks.net/files/To ... ok%20I.avi

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16581203/Red%20Book%20I.avi

I'll edit the first post to add links for Getright and the DivX Codecs.
Last edited by Alatar on Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

So, anybody had a chance to watch it yet? First impressions?
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Not yet, Al. :( Haven't had a chance even to download it yet, due to our ISP download limit having been reached for the month.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Well, I'll start the ball rolling! Watched the first movie with the kids last night. I decided this might be a good introduction for them as it splits the movie into 6 bite size chunks of roughly an hour each.

Initial thoughts:

I didn't really notice that the prologue was missing. Like in the book, we find out this history of the ring later. I half expected to see it in flashback when Gandalf returns to bag end, but instead we get the flashback while Gandalf is in Minas Tirith researching. I liked this, as it removes some of the redundant duplication in the TC and EE. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

The new "Concerning Hobbits" prologue combines both the TC and EE versions. I really liked it, even though I felt some of the continuity was off as we saw some of Frodo's conversation with Gandalf still out in the countryside after they had already crossed the bridge into Hobbiton. Overall though, really nice.

The Party and Bilbo's disappearance were only edited in minor places but it worked really well. I still dislike the "ominous" Gandalf scene, but he can't be blamed for that.

The first real changes (apart from the prologue) come with the removal of the Gandalf/Saruman scenes. This really works and my kids were as surprised as they should be when Gandalf enever turned up in the Prancing Pony to help. Some nice edits of the Nazgûl here also. The hunting of the Hobbits from the tree to the ferry works much better. And incidentally, the Black Rider on the road is now our first view of the Nazgûl, just as in the book.

The Prancing Pony works really well. Watching with my kids, they didn't know that "Strider" was the Aragorn guy they know from games and such. He's quite sinister really, but I'll give credit here to PJ and co, as this edit didn't really change that. I like that they removed the intercutting between sleeping Hobbits and Nazgûl attack cause I always felt it was a cheap trick and didn't work very well at all.

The travel montage up to Weathertop is great and at this stage I can't tell you which bits were TC and which were EE. They all seemed to be in there anyway. Weathertop is pretty much as it was except for the last "torch in the face" bit which is thankfully gone!

The Stone Trolls and the search for Athelas is great. No "Ranger off his guard" here. Some added subtitles for the Elvish I think, and Sam doesn't act like a complete idiot with his "What are you doing! Those Wraiths are still out there!"

The flight to the ford is great, and the removal of the dialogue between Arwen and Wiki is a big help. I was afraid the kids wouldn't understand where the flood came from since Arwen never did her spell thing, but they just said "Did the Elves cast a spell Dad?" so yay for kids smart enough to fill in the blanks!

The first book ends on Frodo lapsing into unconsciousness while Arwen holds him.

All in all I'd say its actually an improvement on the TC and EE!
eborr

Post by eborr »

I have only watched up to the end of the party scene, and although I quite liked the original prologue, this version is so much better. Concerning hobbits is pretty good, like Alatar I can't remember which bits are from Theatrical and EE. In fact I haven't watched the theatrical edit for years.

I would have liked the firework display without the merry and pippin bit, that has always grated, but at least they have righted one of PJ's most obvious and grossest errors with the inclusion of the ring verse at the begining

Gwyn A. Williams,
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I'll post the next one tomorrow night!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Last edited by Alatar on Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ArathornJax
Aldrig nogen sinde Kvitte

Post by ArathornJax »

I watched Book 1 tonight and was very impressed. Alatar hit on the main changes and the ones that I also found very interesting. A story. My wife went with me to see FOTR the first time and for the first hour from the time the Black Riders arrived I had fingernails being driven in my arm. She called it "intense." She said the changes here are more intense and I wouldn't have had an arm if it had been that way in the theater.

I really enjoyed the leaving of Bree and the trip to Weathertop. For some reason the dialogue of Aragorn speaking of Lúthien hit home to me where he simply states she died. I think Aragon knew the sacrifice Arwen would make for him here. I look forward to seeing how edit handles Aragorn moving forward. I never liked the theme that he didn't want to be king. To me that arch changed the meaning of the relationship of Arwen and Aragorn who knew what had to be accomplished and sacrificed for them to be together. Then again, I'm a sap for a love story like that.

Glad the torch in the face was gone and a Ranger caught off guard was gone. I liked that Arwen didn't summon the flood. More in line with the book. Overall, I really like that edit!
1. " . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

2. We have many ways using technology to be in touch, yet the larger question is are we really connected or are we simply more in touch? There is a difference.