First Hobbit Trailer (with SPOILERS)

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

The Hobbit, especially in the beginning, was a little twee for my tastes. I don't mind darkening it up a bit. Nor do I object to playing up the Necromancer side of the story. In the book, it felt like some sort of weird, tacked-on excuse to pull Gandalf out of the story when having a wise and powerful wizard was inconvenient. I was actually quite irritated that this important thing happened entirely off the page...and got even more irritated when I read LOTR and learned that this Necromancer was an even bigger deal than I suspected.

Of course, I understand that Tolkien himself didn't fully realize who the Necromancer was and what Bilbo's ring was when he wrote The Hobbit. So I forgive him. But I still feel cheated and that's why I'm actually happy that the movie version will be more than the children's tale The Hobbit was written as.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Tolkien knew that the Necromancer was Sauron from the beginning (in early drafts he includes a mention of Lúthien's defeat of him, making it quite clear that it was the same character). He just didn't realize how important that fact would become.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Yet another cut of the trailer has now been released!

Finding Bilbo: An Unexpected Journey
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

;)
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Dori!!

:D

That was really, really well done. And PJ would be very lucky if his movie turns out as good as that one did. ;)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Re: First Hobbit Trailer (with SPOILERS)

Post by Alatar »

Reminder of the first trailer, from before the change from 2 films to 3. It really makes you wonder what the 2 film hobbit would have been like.

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Interesting how little (eventual) film 2 material is actually in there. I wonder if they already knew at that point what was likely to happen.

Boyens did mention they were having to make choices along the lines of "do we cut the eagles or the spiders?"
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

I actually think the 2 films would have been overstuffed messes. The problem with the three films is that instead of using the extra time to more fully develop the main characters, PJ and company added in a bunch of uninteresting nonsense, such as the Legolas-Tauriel-Bolg plot, the extended Azog-Thorin stuff, the dwarf-dragon confrontation, and a whole bunch of other stuff that wasn't necessary. Had he spent those extra two and a half hours fleshing out the Bilbo-Thorin-Balin relationship, for example, these films could have been masterpieces. But alas, they didn't have much time once they decided on three films. So all PJ could do was very quickly manufacture some action climaxes to round out their structures.

My view is that these films would have been a lot better had the three-film decision been made at the very beginning.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I don't think anyone would dispute that. I've had the experience of turning one novel into two on a deadline, and it wasn't a matter of just tossing in new events. But I had more than a year to do it, even with the deadlines. It was still hard and I don't think it was entirely successful. The third book was conceived as one book from the very beginning, and for me it works much better.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King