The Hobbit Movie Tie ins [now with potential spoilers]

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Elentári

Re: The Hobbit Movie Tie ins [now with potential spoilers]

Post by Elentári »

Yes, a thoroughly enjoyable listen...and a fascinating insight from Brian on Peter Jackson the man and the industry!
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

As well as on Tolkien himself; I thought his comments about Tolkien and Lewis were quite perceptive. Really one of the few people that can provide significant insights on both. And I also enjoyed his pleasure at revealing -- while claiming that he probably shouldn't -- that PB told him that they took some of the dialogue for the scene on Mt. Doom directly from his BBC radio adaptation. Really interesting comments about that production too. As you say, Elen, a thoroughly enjoyable listen. I'm glad you dug it up, Al!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I actually posted here before listening to it fully, so I hadn't twigged that the book he was referring to was not this one. He posted it on FB today so I assumed it was recent!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

That's kinda funny that he would post it on Facebook today. In any event, I'm glad he did, and that you linked to it here. It was one of the better interviews that I have heard. I wasn't really thinking I would listen to it to the end, but I ended up doing so gladly.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

This looks like it could be interesting for collector types:

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies™ Smaug™ Large Scale Poseable Action Figure
Voronwë the Faithful

I don't think it is Mirkwood. Too dark and colorless to be Jackson's Mirkwood. That having been said. I have no idea where it is.
Voronwë the Faithful

Another image from the Annual:

Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

I like it. It's got Bilbo in it. :)
Last edited by Passdagas the Brown on Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

For those who are interested in seeing a product before they buy, a quick thumb through every page of the Annual! :D

Nothing earth-shatteringly new - the images have pretty much all been posted on the web by now ...and so far I've not heard of any spoilers being reported in terms of written content.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

These look rather cool...

TBotFA Magnetic Bookmarks

The one on the right here is labelled "Sauron" - could this be a spoiler??? ;)

Last edited by Elentári on Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

I was just coming to post those, with a similar comment.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Sorry - I'll let you do the new soundtrack pre-order info, then! :D
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

No, you do that, I'll do the new Thorin poster. ;)
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

The one on the right here is labelled "Sauron" - could this be a spoiler???
I've been saying it all along! And I'll be just as surprised as anyone if I turn out to be right... :er:

What's the benefit of the magnetism? So they can double as refrigerator adornments?
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

It's not just me is it? When I pointed it out on TORn I was told it was Smaug! :scratch:
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

The one next to it is Smaug, isn't it?
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Yes....according to the list below the article, one of the bookmarks is termed "Sauron" and I don't see which of the others it could be!
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Dave_LF wrote:What's the benefit of the magnetism? So they can double as refrigerator adornments?
Sorry, meant to reply earlier - the bookmarks are basically one strip folded in half, with magnets on the reverse of each half, so when you put a leaf of the book between the two halves of the bookmark it "grips" the leaf and helps keep it in place.

This t-shirt has some interesting images, though I'm not sure all are new...

~Diana Cortes