Fan Reaction to The Hobbit [Now with SPOILERS!]

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

Wasn't Martinez pretty hard on the LotR movies, or am I thinking of someone else?

I would say Jackson, Armitage, and everyone else have done a good job both making Thorin a character you'll root for and hinting at his flaws that will be so important in film 3. I do think they could have dialed back on his dislike of elves just a bit (the scene where he argues with Gandalf about Rivendell is a bit too much like "Where was Gondor when the Westfold fell?!"), but that's basically a nitpick.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I don't what Michael's opinion of the LOTR films was.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

The baby is taking bottles so I left the baby with my husband and went to a matinee. It was 2D, normal frame rate. I think my viewing experience would have been better if I hadn't been sitting in the very first row. That said, it felt like some of the action was blurred. Like the film wasn't keeping up. But that may have been an artifact of where I was sitting. Also, it's pretty uncomfortable sitting in the front row. And pretty lame seeing a movie by oneself. But I wanted to see the movie and get dinner on the table before midnight (yeah, I was going big yesterday) so I took that crappy seat rather than swap tickets for a later show. However, these circumstances did color my experience.

I understand framing it up with Bilbo talking to Frodo and then narrating that prologue - the framing was necessary to link it with LOTR and the exposition in the prologue was going to have to happen anyway. That said, I do wish the movie could have kicked off with "In a hole in a ground..."

Martin Freeman was perfect. The movie Dwarves came off as much more competent than the book Dwarves, which gave me some mixed feelings. On one hand, I'm not impressed by the re-rendering of the characters. On the other, the pathetic incompetence of the book Dwarves was incredibly irritating to me when I read the book a couple weeks ago. I probably would have found a faithful rendition hard to stomach.

Radagast totally called that hedgehog Sebastian. The bird's nest and bird poop reminded me of Merlin's depiction in The Once and Future King. The scene where Gandalf hands a pipe over to Radagast witht he promise it will mellow him out played very well to the Boulder audience. ;) It was fascinating that, though Radagast penetrated Dol Guldur, fought off something and recovered a morgul blade, Saruman remained quick to dismiss him.

Goblintown and the Warg fight were both overly drawn out. The Riddle Game and mercy scenes were terrific. So were the songs. And it's taken me too long to get this post composed so I'll stop here.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

(You have a new baby River? Mazel Tov!) :)
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

River wrote:And pretty lame seeing a movie by oneself.
With one exception, every movie I've seen since 2008 I've gone to alone. Once I started doing it I haven't looked back. I find it convenient to go when I feel like it, arrive when I like, go into the theatre when I like and sit where I like. Of course, I am single, so it is easier.

The exception was seeing The King's Speech with vison, but I rarely find myself with such a good combination of film and companionship.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

It was fascinating that, though Radagast penetrated Dol Guldur, fought off something and recovered a morgul blade, Saruman remained quick to dismiss him.

I noticed that, and I thought it was a nice touch. Saruman is only impressed with overt power. He underestimates Gandalf, too.

I also noticed that, in a movie full of good looking, manly men, Christopher Lee still has more badass vibe than the rest of them together. Comes from being a real-life badass, I'm sure.

Also, kudos on making it to the movies. My soon was much older before I managed that feat. :D
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

I had never seen Lee in action before FotR, and one of the best things about the film, for me, was seeing him bring Saruman to life. I had never really properly envisioned the character before.

Fun fact - he is now branching out into symphonic heavy metal music. He certainly has the voice for it. See, for example, his latest heavy metal Christmas album, featuring what has to be the most badass version of the Little Drummer Boy ever.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

:shock:

Saruman singing metal...
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

well I didn't like the bird poo on Radagast. Some of the battle scenes were too long and I wanted more Smaug. And I want the next movie out sooner, not later. The people I went to see it with and I discussed how far in the book the movie went, we decided it wasn't far enough into the book ;)
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

River wrote::shock:

Saruman singing metal...
The "shall I play for you...on my drum" line doesn't really invite refusal, does it?
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

No.

Honestly, I didn't even imagine that Little Drummer Boy could be badass until today. :shock: I almost took out my ponytail and started head-banging.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Awesome. Just awesome. :bow:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

This may not be the right place for this, but here is the review of AUJ by Janet Brennan Croft, the Tolkien Scholar who was asked to check over the script in that capacity, by PJ:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mythsoc/message/23750
Yes, that is my name in the credits as Tolkien Scholar! Basically I advised on the source of all material in the script and whether they had rights to it or not. I did make comments (many quite snarky, I'm afraid) and suggestions about certain other things, but I don't know how far up they got, though some of the continuity problems I noted did seem to get fixed, at least. They did keep in one little thing I warned them about; I notice several people have caught it. The movie does have a number of differences from the last script I read. I'm doing similar work on some of the games that will be coming out.

Visually, I thought much of it was stunning. Erebor and Dale were gorgeous, as was the expanded view of Rivendell. (And Kili was pretty darn pleasant to look at, too, I must say.) The 48 frames per second or whatever it was actually made viewing from the third row much less nauseating, for some reason. Fights and flights were tediously long, as expected. Stupid jokes were stupid. Anticipation of later events remains one of my main problems with Jackson (for example, we've already seen spiders attack Rhosgobel; how startling will they be in northern Mirkwood? Bilbo has already bloodied his sword; his battle with the spiders will lose its significance for character development). And as Andy pointed out, the whole Witch-king/ Morgul blade thing is non-canconical, AND contradicts the prophecy that allows Éowyn and Sam to kill him. Oh, and the horse make-up -- they did something to make the poor ponies extra-shaggy, didn't they?

But the emphasis on the theme of home was, I thought, a very good bit of scriptwriting. I liked Martin Freeman as Bilbo very much. I'm glad they didn't make him too young, like Frodo.

Still, seeing Erebor from the Carrock would be like standing on the highest overpass in Amarillo and seeing Sandia Peak in Albuquerque.

More another time, praps yesss. I wasn't totally appalled; I will probably see it again; but now I know, as I guessed, that the scenes of meaningless hacking and slashing are long enough for a bathroom break.

Janet

Janet Brennan Croft
Editor of Mythlore http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

I have only seen this twice. In looking back there are a couple of things that stand out for me as things Jackson could have done differently - lets say more adult and less kiddish - which would have improved the film.

The first would be the Great Goblin. everything about him was wrong from the cartoonish design, the voice and the way he acted.

The second would be the bird droppings on Radagast. Somebody compared him to Merlin and I greatly preferred the Merlin in CAMELOT to this character. I could even take the over the top bunnies since the character redeemed himself with an act of bravery by going into Dol Guldur - but why the bird droppings? Its just silly.

I had not trouble with the humor at Bag End with the dwarves. Even enjoyed it.

I dearly hope Jackson uses these months to clean up the next two films - dial down the kiddie and silly stuff and ramp up the adult and atmospheric moments.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

sauronsfinger wrote:I dearly hope Jackson uses these months to clean up the next two films - dial down the kiddie and silly stuff and ramp up the adult and atmospheric moments.
I think this will happen naturally, as the story takes a darker turn, though no doubt we will still get the PJ brand of humour for the Dwarves as they stumble through Mirkwood, but as long as it's no worse than we got in TTT I dare say I can live with it! Hopefully Dol Guldur, plus Thranduil and grim-faced Bard will balance that out!
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Sadly, it will likely mean more Jackson humor and less Tolkien humour. The latter was the best part of the first film (or at least among it).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Folca

Post by Folca »

Just saw it. Alot of trepidation based on PJ's previous desecration of LOTR, I had no doubt he would simply trample The Hobbit under the arrogance born of his previous success.

Sadly, all of my fears were validated, and then trumped. Won't see it again in theaters, and won't purchase it until it is on the seven dollar rack at WalMart. The action scenes were childishly over the top, the stone giants ridiculous, and the characterization of Radagast as some vacant headed goof was wretched. Radagast should have been modeled more after a druid than a doper.

However, the movie was visually impressive. I liked Thorin's characterization. Bilbo was terrific. The riddle scene was excellent.

The soundtract was by far the best part of the movie, likely because it had less to do with PJ than the rest of the movie.
"Ut Prosim"
"There are some things that it is better to begin than refuse, even though the end may be dark" Aragorn
"Those who commit honorable acts need no forgiveness"
http://killology.com/sheep_dog.htm
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Elentári wrote:This may not be the right place for this, but here is the review of AUJ by Janet Brennan Croft, the Tolkien Scholar who was asked to check over the script in that capacity, by PJ:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mythsoc/message/23750
Yes, that is my name in the credits as Tolkien Scholar! Basically I advised on the source of all material in the script and whether they had rights to it or not. I did make comments (many quite snarky, I'm afraid) and suggestions about certain other things, but I don't know how far up they got, though some of the continuity problems I noted did seem to get fixed, at least. They did keep in one little thing I warned them about; I notice several people have caught it. The movie does have a number of differences from the last script I read. I'm doing similar work on some of the games that will be coming out.

Visually, I thought much of it was stunning. Erebor and Dale were gorgeous, as was the expanded view of Rivendell. (And Kili was pretty darn pleasant to look at, too, I must say.) The 48 frames per second or whatever it was actually made viewing from the third row much less nauseating, for some reason. Fights and flights were tediously long, as expected. Stupid jokes were stupid. Anticipation of later events remains one of my main problems with Jackson (for example, we've already seen spiders attack Rhosgobel; how startling will they be in northern Mirkwood? Bilbo has already bloodied his sword; his battle with the spiders will lose its significance for character development). And as Andy pointed out, the whole Witch-king/ Morgul blade thing is non-canconical, AND contradicts the prophecy that allows Éowyn and Sam to kill him. Oh, and the horse make-up -- they did something to make the poor ponies extra-shaggy, didn't they?

But the emphasis on the theme of home was, I thought, a very good bit of scriptwriting. I liked Martin Freeman as Bilbo very much. I'm glad they didn't make him too young, like Frodo.

Still, seeing Erebor from the Carrock would be like standing on the highest overpass in Amarillo and seeing Sandia Peak in Albuquerque.

More another time, praps yesss. I wasn't totally appalled; I will probably see it again; but now I know, as I guessed, that the scenes of meaningless hacking and slashing are long enough for a bathroom break.

Janet

Janet Brennan Croft
Editor of Mythlore http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html
Wow! That Jackson would use a Tolkien scholar to vet the films is awesome! It almost moves me to tears...

Too bad he didn't pay more attention to her.... :nono:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

I don't think there was that much humor that went against Tolkien. Yes, there were times when PJ indulged his worst excesses, but there seemed to be a lot less of it than TTT and RotK. Even if you look at just the jokes not in the book, there's a better ratio of good to bad than in LotR. I think having Freeman as the lead helps direct PJ's sense of humor in healthier directions. Also, I like The Great Goblin and his personality is basically how I imagined him in the book.

With that said, it's possible we'll get a bunch of bad comedy put back into the EE like RotK.