Middle Earth Theme Parks?

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

sauronsfinger wrote:
axordil wrote:Any Middle Earth Theme Park should be in Middle Earth. You know, New Zealand. :D
Would that not hurt possible attendance?
You're assuming I want OTHER people to go there. :D
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

axordil wrote:
sauronsfinger wrote:
axordil wrote:Any Middle Earth Theme Park should be in Middle Earth. You know, New Zealand. :D
Would that not hurt possible attendance?
That will keep it open for how long?
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

sauronsfinger wrote:
axordil wrote:
sauronsfinger wrote: Would that not hurt possible attendance?
That will keep it open for how long?
My visit. Apres moi, les deluge. :twisted:

Seriously, though, I would like to see a ME theme park idea with a more holistic approach: less thrill rides for their own sake, more simulation of presence in important places and moments, to convey a sense of scale and depth.

And staff with pointy ears.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I think a ride like "Soaring over California" in Disney's Anaheim theme park would be compatible with what you're talking about, Ax. I rode it years ago, but I still remember how serene and lovely it was, and what a feel it gave for landscape.

And of course they would have to use scenes from New Zealand. :) Imagine feeling like an Eagle soaring over desolate snowy peaks into the sunrise.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Elentári

Re: Middle Earth Theme Parks?

Post by Elentári »

Nothing to get excited over, but I just found this visualization of a Middle-earth theme park...it's nice to dream!

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Middle-Eä ... -498209880
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

With the movies now completed I wonder what will be the next area for the rights holders to venture into to make even more money? The two obvious would be a theme park and a TV cable show like GAME OF THRONES.

I would very much like to see a Middle-earth theme park and wonder if New Zealand would be willing to help fund it and make it happen as a full blown tourist attraction?
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

PJ has mentioned in recent interviews that he's kept a lot of the sets and would like to make a museum one day, so I guess the closest thing we would get to a theme park would be something like the Harry Potter Studios near London...perhaps combined with the Weta Cave, which would be very cool!

Other than that, I wish more of the location sets could have been left in situ, such as Edoras on Mount Sunday, and Beorn's house at Paradise, Glenorchy...or even the Rivendell location set in Kaitoke Regional Park. Obviously they were built on protected or National Park land so it wasn't possible, or viable to have thousands of tourist traipsing around, but visually I thought the sets blended in beautifully with the landscapes, and wouldn't have been an eyesore, if they could have been permanent. At least we have Hobbiton for posterity...
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Elen - were those sets - like Beorns house - saved so that they can be reassembled if necessary later? My uneducated guess would be that they were.

If they put together a place in NZ like you speculate on - I would go there to see it all -maybe if four years for a graduation present for my oldest grandson and fellow Middle-earth fanatic.

Who knows - maybe a theme park/museum/special effects studio might be the ticket? Kind of a bit like the Disney Orlando MGM studio park was but better.

I have lots of terrific memories from the three previous exhibits of film stuff in Toronto and Boston when LOTR was out. To see even more would be amazing....... now with some of the HOBBIT stuff included.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Yes, those exhibits were AWESOME! I couldn't believe the attention to detail that went into creating the props and costumes!
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Me, too, Sunny....saw the LotR exhibit at the Science Museum in London with my two eldest boys and we were absolutely blown away by it all, particularly the costumes, weapons and bigatures!

sf, this is the interview I was thinking of (it's the one I posted in the general thread about how much of GDT there is left in the script): http://news.moviefone.com/2014/12/19/pe ... interview/
There has been talk about Universal doing a "Harry Potter"-like land for "Lord of the Rings"/"The Hobbit." Can you talk about where that is?

PJ: I'm not a lawyer for Warner Bros but as far as I know, the Tolkien estate would dispute that. If Universal said they wanted to do a theme park, I think they'd be fighting a big Tolkien estate lawsuit for a while. Now who would win, I don't know, but the Tolkien estate would claim that they have the rights to that.

PB: Just come to New Zealand!

Here they have the "Harry Potter" soundstage. Would you be interested in doing something more along those lines?

PJ: Certainly. We have all the costumes and props in New Zealand. I couldn't bear to have that stuff auctioned off. So they're sitting in a warehouse right now. Theme park? I wouldn't want to have a lawsuit on my hands.
I would guess PJ does have the Beorn set - after all, he kept the Rivendell studio set in storage for over 10 years - and we know he had Bag End installed on one of his properties near Wellington.

One day I hope to make it to NZ - though I reckon it's one of those places you really want a one-way ticket! I know I wouldn't want to leave once I'm there...
~Diana Cortes