Desolation of Smaug reviews

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Well-written and interesting article by Michael Martinez...

How Much Padding is There in Peter Jackson’s “Hobbit” Trilogy?

He seems to have less problems with the additional material than what has been cut, certainly with DoS.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Gorthaur the Cruel

Post by Gorthaur the Cruel »

That was an interesting perspective (thanks for posting).
Interesting point about the length of the book vs. the length of the story (particularly since the opposite is true of most books):

Michael Martinez wrote:The book is shorter than the story, if that makes sense. Tolkien glosses over a lot of events that, in a work like The Lord of the Rings, would be given full authorial attention.
It supports the original intention of making two films to tell the story, where I thought one should be sufficient.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

My pleasure, Gorthaur - and yes, 2 films (not 3!) ;)

btw, tsmith675 over on TORn reminds us of the conversation between Frodo and Gloin at the Council of Elrond: (bolding mine)
In chapter 1 of Book 2 of FotR, Many Meetings, Frodo is having a conversation with Gloin. Gloin is telling him what's been going on with the dwarves and brings up Dale. He speaks of building fountains, pools, halls, etc. And Frodo says the funniest line in the book, now after seeing DoS. He says:

"How surprised Bilbo would have been to see all the changes in the Desolation of Smaug!"

I got a huge chuckle out of this. It's almost as if it's somehow foretelling the changes made to the second movie of the Hobbit. This is not at all to be taken seriously, nor am I putting the changes of the film down in any way, as I am a huge fan of the film. I just found this incredibly hilarious!
:rofl:
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

:rofl:
Gorthaur the Cruel

Post by Gorthaur the Cruel »

Elentári wrote:"How surprised Bilbo would have been to see all the changes in the Desolation of Smaug!"
lol. That explains much!
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Further to the discussion on why the Lake-town people don't/won't help the abandoned Dwarves, I've just seen this comment on TORn:
I'm convinced there's a missing scene here that hopefully we'll get in the EE to explain this. One reason I think there's a missing scene is because Fili and Kili were wearing armor at the docks, and presumably were outfitted with weapons like the rest of the company was. By the time they show up at Bard's door they are stripped down to "normal" clothes and apparently weaponless.
Did anyone else notice any change of costume? I didn't notice but if it's true then it could help smooth out that part of the storyline.
~Diana Cortes
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Good catch. I hope that is resolved. Perhaps the Master and Alfrid, in front of the crowd, strip them of their ceremonial belongings, and openly treat them as outcast dwarves - unluckly pariahs or something? Would be dumb for the master to do this, especially if he wants to remain in Thorin's good graces, but I can see it happening...

However, something tells me that such a scene will not make it into the EE...
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Not only that, but it isn't necessary, as it is implied. ;)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

Ah, yes. Bofur's "noone will help us" implies that the Master of the city made a very odd, illogical decision to openly treat the dwarves as pariahs (despite treating their companions as returning heroes), and then advises the townspeople to shun them, or face punitive measures...

I mean, obviously. ;)
Voronwë the Faithful

I'm glad you are finally seeing sense on this issue. 8)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

You are the Master. Resistance is futile. 8)
Elentári

Re: Desolation of Smaug reviews

Post by Elentári »

Saw this elsewhere and had to share...it's absolutely hilarious!

~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Re: Desolation of Smaug reviews

Funny!

---------
Sent from my LG G3 using tapatalk