Thoughts after watching DOS

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Thoughts after watching DOS

Post by Smaug's voice »

So I finally got around to watching DOS on the Tv, straight after December '13.
After a million presses on the rewind button, new thoughts;

1) Vastly better than AUJ. Both as an adaptation and as a film. But not on par with LotR. (as you all know I would say...)

2)I didn't like a lot of the first half. It has serious pacing issues with one chase following another. And it just feels incomplete, starting all of a sudden with a bear-chase. Elves at Mirkwood brought some long and welcome dialogues. And the prison chat with Kili is probably the second best scene in the first half (after, of course, Bilbo's "Ring-moment" in the spider-fight).
I am quite positive the EE will cure the pacing problems.

3)The barrel-sequence no longer works for me (it did at first) and is tiresome.

4)Evangeline Lilly totally wins in playing a female Elf. More refreshing and alive and Elvish than Cate Blanchett and Tyler. I just wish the love-triangle aspect was played down, as she herself said in an interview, that it's just one part of a character. It seriously undermines her character.

5)Thranduil, undeniably the best Elf ever portrayed. All the poetic lines in the film come from him.

6) I liked it before as well, and I did now too. Laketown is the best segment of the movie. It just feels lively and contains humane emotions. The set is simply gorgeous. Kudos to Del Toro.

7) I think Evans' Bard treads very close to Bernard Hill's Théoden and Sean Bean's Boromir. I look forward to him immensely in BOFA.

8)Loved the conversation with Smaug, yet again. I feared I would not.

9)Although on my first viewing I did not like it, but this time I liked the chase in Erebor!
The main problem here, I think, is of the direction. I was plain confused the first two times re; what they were doing, what was their plan, how did it work etc. It didn't help that it was intercut with the Laketown attack, making it even more muddy.
I hated the Thorin-on-a-wheel-barrow and Thorin-on-Smaug's-snout thingies though. But honestly are those any worse than burning-Parodenethor-jumping-off or Legolas-skateboarding-stairs/oliphaunt? Not to me.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Thoughts after watching DOS

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Thanks for sharing that, SV. I pretty much agree with everything you say, other than that I still enjoy the barrel-sequence.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

I kinda like your new profile pic! :)
Voronwë the Faithful

:)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

[aside] V, I like the avatar, too. Did you draw it yourself? Have you said anything about it anywhere? [/aside]
“Wilbur never forgot Charlotte. Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart. She was in a class by herself. It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both.” E. B. White, who must have had vison in mind. There's a reason why we kept putting the extra i in her name in our minds!
Voronwë the Faithful

No, it was drawn by a very fine young artist who also happens to post here.
Beutlin

Post by Beutlin »

What do I win if my guess is right: Was it Smaug's voice? :)
Voronwë the Faithful

You win a smile:

:)
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Two. :)
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

And regarding this thread,
I re-watched DOS again.

And my liking for the Smaug-chase is decreasing again. :P That's mostly due to the Thorin-on-wheelbarrow moment!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I hated the Thorin-on-a-wheel-barrow and Thorin-on-Smaug's-snout thingies though. But honestly are those any worse than burning-Parodenethor-jumping-off or Legolas-skateboarding-stairs/oliphaunt?
Yes. (At least the wheel barrow is.)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

As always, these types of things are a matter of opinion/taste. I don't like the Thorin on a wheelbarrow, but my dislike of it pales compared to my dislike of both the burning Denethor and particularly Legolas's take down of the Oliphant.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

But.....wheelbarrow.....on molten gold!

(I don't really get why people are bothered by Leggy's big superhero stunts.)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

yovargas wrote:But.....wheelbarrow.....on molten gold!
Kewlness!
(I don't really get why people are bothered by Leggy's big superhero stunts.)
To me they are just eye-roll inducing. Although I admit I giggle at the one that probably bothers the most people, his jumping from Dwarven-head to Dwarven-head during Barrels out of Bond.
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

The dwarf-head hopping is the least problematic of the Legolas gymnastics, IMO. In fact, I thought his stunts on the Running River were the most entertaining across all five films. There's a real rhythm to that sequence that makes it all work for me (interrupted only by the awful ninja-barrel Bombur, which almost ruined it - it was flowing so well, like the river, until that moment ground it to a halt).

By the way, I love your new profile pic, SV. Is that a drawing of yours? If so, I think your artwork captures some of that primordial beauty that Tolkien taps into.
Voronwë the Faithful

Húrin's Last Stand. And yes, it is his.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:If so, I think your artwork captures some of that primordial beauty that Tolkien taps into.

I agree. I especially like that it shows the hero with a wiry strength instead of a bulky one.

I also like the understated monstrosity of his enemies.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Now that I need it, I see there's no blushing icon.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

yovargas wrote:
I hated the Thorin-on-a-wheel-barrow and Thorin-on-Smaug's-snout thingies though. But honestly are those any worse than burning-Parodenethor-jumping-off or Legolas-skateboarding-stairs/oliphaunt?
Yes. (At least the wheel barrow is.)
Matter of taste as V says.
For me, the Legolas antics at Pelennor and Helms' Deep ruin what are supposed to be very serious battles upon which ME's existence depends. It's not the fact that it is there, but how it was shown.
I admit, I like Legolas' stunts in DOS much better but I dislike the head-popping as well as the Laketown fights.

Denethor's death OTOH just stands out as a brief LOL moment in the battle, where his death should have been tragic. Not funny.

Thorin on a wheelbarrow on the other hand is a crazy thing in a plan that is supposed to be crazy. Kill a dragon on their own? I don't like that much craziness but it's atleast uniform.

ETA:
As an aside, I really dislike the fact that throughout the whole movie, everytime Kili is under danger Tauriel is her savior and no one else. Atleast 4 times. That's far too much luck on their side!
The irritance of course is elevated by the sudden burst of the "Tauriel theme" in the score whenever she pops up to save Kili.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

There are emoji for that!