The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies fan reviews... SPOILERS

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies fan reviews... SP

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

This is amusing, although unlike Elen (who posted this elsewhere), and most others, I actually mostly agree with Jackson's priorities:

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I think you know what I think of that one. :P
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

I find it somewhat amusing that when Jackson doesn't focus on Bilbo, he gets criticized, and when he does focus on Bilbo, he also gets criticized!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

It doesn't have to be all or nothing. There's no reason a story can't focus on more than on thing (see LOTR...) and in fact part of my problem with the ending is that BOFA finally manages to do just that, successfully keeping focus on Bilbo and making the broader the story engaging. Until the end. If I didn't finally care about that broader story, like I hadn't in AUJ and DOS, I wouldn't care if the ending gave it no attention.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

The post-battle part of BOFA, IMO, is Peter Jackson's best film yet. The desire to see all those plot threads tied up is somewhat baffling to me. Couldn't disagree more with that cartoon, as it reflects exactly what I think is wrong with blockbuster cinema (and fandom) today. God forbid ambiguity leaves us asking questions rather than eating up answers!
Voronwë the Faithful

I split off the Most Memorable, etc. listings to a separate thread, at yov's behest.