When will you be seeing BotFA

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

When will you be seeing BotFA

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

We probably don't really need a separate thread for this, but it is kind of nice to know when everyone is planning to go, and how.

I tentatively will be going on the 19th, with both my Mom and Beth, in NY at an IMAX, Dolby Atmos, HFR 3D extravaganza!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: When will you be seeing BotFA

Post by Frelga »

Christmas Day, probably. And then I'll need to find a Chinese place that's open. ;)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

To demonstrate my level of excitement - I'm not actually sure when the thing comes out. :P
Eh, I'm sure I'll go see it whatever weekend it's out. Would really like to find a (legal) way to see the DOS EE before that....
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I won't be making the Premiere this year. First one I've missed. Hoping to go to a showing of the full trilogy Thursday 11th.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

I'm sorry you won't make it to the premier, Al, but I'll be really interested to hear about the experience of seeing the full trilogy.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

20th evening, the day my first term ends. In 3D if it'd still be available.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Unbelievable. I just got offered two tickets to the Irish Premier this Friday and I can't use them! A commitment I simply can't break!. :(
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

I will be there on the morning of the 17th. I will then go in the evening to the IMAX with my grandson to see it again.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Frelga wrote:Christmas Day, probably. And then I'll need to find a Chinese place that's open. ;)
There is a good place in Cleveland - BO LING'S that is open on all the holidays like Thanksgiving and even Christmas. They have a duck that is to die for complete with long neck and head still attached. But they will chop it off for you if you so desire.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Probably 13th or 14th, pm....although it opens on 10th over here, my local cinema isn't showing it until 12th, and my M-I-L is coming up that day so it's a no go! :(
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Alatar!!! Quick--clone yourself!

V, I might even be in NYC on the 19th! Wouldn't it be fun if we met up at the movies, on the entirely wrong side of the country?
:)
“Wilbur never forgot Charlotte. Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart. She was in a class by herself. It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both.” E. B. White, who must have had vison in mind. There's a reason why we kept putting the extra i in her name in our minds!
Voronwë the Faithful

That would be pretty remarkable, Teremia. Although to be honest, I would guess that you would probably hate this film, will all the battling and such.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

It opens the night before the first of my holiday house guests arrives (my brother). I probably won't see it until a matinee the week after it opens—but that would mean being able to go with a fair chunk of the family, which would be fun. Especially our daughter. I took her to FotR's opening night when she was seven years old.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Not sure yet, but definitely not on opening night or even the next day. I know some love it, but I can't stand the shouting and applauding that usually happens in the first few showings.

Have to say that I am quite encouraged by the reviews, including Tel's. Sounds like it is a very visually-inventive film (like DOS) and I think that's a good thing.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Teremia & V, if you guys do meet up for BotFA, Do let me know. I will not see the film but would like to meet you guys even if for 15 mins!

---------------
Sent with elvish telepathic powers with a dashed line above to make Jude happy.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Inanna, it would be great to see you! I'm in NY for more than a week, so I hope we can figure something out....
“Wilbur never forgot Charlotte. Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart. She was in a class by herself. It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both.” E. B. White, who must have had vison in mind. There's a reason why we kept putting the extra i in her name in our minds!
Voronwë the Faithful

I unfortunately am in New York for a very short amount of time, mostly to go to a Bar Mitzvah, so it is unlikely that I will be able to do any m00ting.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Sometime between Christmas and New Year's Day. I'll be in Seattle. I can leave the munchkin with at least one of her grandparents.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

We might just wait for the blu-ray.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Teremia wrote:Inanna, it would be great to see you! I'm in NY for more than a week, so I hope we can figure something out....
Yayyy! Ping me.

---------------
Sent with elvish telepathic powers with a dashed line above to make Jude happy.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude