Rings of Power Reviews

For discussion of Amazon's new television show "The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power"
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Rings of Power Reviews

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

First reviews seem mostly positive. 96% so far at Rotten Tomatoes.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/the_l ... 01/reviews
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Re: Rings of Power Reviews

Post by Alatar »

Irish review

https://entertainment.ie/tv/tv-reviews/ ... ew-539101/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:08 pm First reviews seem mostly positive. 96% so far at Rotten Tomatoes.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/the_l ... 01/reviews
Down to 81%, though for some reasons the reviews are not showing.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

A friend got a free ticket he couldn't use, so he gave it to me. I wasn't able to get out of work in time to see it all (it didn't help that the screening was down in Akron), but I saw about half of the first episode and all of the second episode. I'd be very curious to have a discussion with the filmmakers to better understand what they've deliberately changed (and why) vs. what they just don't understand. So far, it's basically a goofy alternate history. Most of the dialogue is second rate. Some of the visuals are lovely.

For a minute I thought they were going to make Galadriel into Beowulf. I sort of wish they'd gone further in that direction.
Voronwë the Faithful

Thanks, N.E.B. Coming from you, that is a ringing endorsement. ;) (Compared to most of the comments that I have seen you make about Jackson's films.)
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Oh cool, first-hand knowledge!

If you thought about it not as an adaptation of Tolkien but strictly on its own merits as a TV show, how do you think you would rate it?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Frelga wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:29 am Oh cool, first-hand knowledge!

If you thought about it not as an adaptation of Tolkien but strictly on its own merits as a TV show, how do you think you would rate it?
I haven't seen much of the so-called "prestige" television. I have no experience at all with Game of Thrones, so I can't compare it with that. So far, it's nearly not as good as the few episodes I've seen of Breaking Bad or the many more installments (albeit they were of highly variable quality) I've seen of more episodic shows like The Closer or The West Wing. There is some potential here. And having decided not to take it at all seriously as an attempted adaption of Tolkien's work, I am less bothered than many people probably will be both by the outright changes to what Tolkien wrote or by the additions that seem to come from some other world entirely. (Proposed: he's a lintip.) That said, both elements play a bit like the first Sherlock Holmes scenario that Data created on Star Trek: The Next Generation.

I was one of many who long ago suggested that The Lord of the Rings might work better as a limited run TV program than as one or three cinematic films. The pacing here makes me wonder about that. I like quiet films and long conversations -- I've seen My Dinner With Andre twice! -- but they still have to be interesting. The world building here, particularly in terms of scenic elements, seems to me superior in many ways to Peter Jackson's work, but the character "business" is forced.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Alatar wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:09 pm Irish review
https://entertainment.ie/tv/tv-reviews/ ... ew-539101/
To say that this series "brings to screens for the very first time the heroic legends of the fabled Second Age of Middle-earth's history" feels like the reviewer is repeating Amazon's P.R. spin, at least to judge from the first two episodes. The claim that this is "a Middle-earth that sure, has suffered greatly already, but doesn't know that the worst is yet to come" surely is unduly speculative: Middle-earth itself (as opposed to Arda) probably suffered less in the reshaping of the world that followed the destruction of Númenor (presumably to come later in the series) than it did in the sinking of Beleriand that must precede the series' events. To say that "separately, all three plots could carry their own 'LOTR' series, but woven together, they made for fantastical viewing" seems like a gross exaggeration: for starters, the sheer writing is far beneath Tolkien's. Kudos to him for at least spelling "Middle-earth" correctly (as the Entertainment Weekly reviewer, whose harsher criticisms to me seem about right, fails to do).
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

The reviews are very encouraging. Higher RT and Metacritic score than House of the Dragon, and I thought the first two episodes of that show were quite compelling. Especially pleased with the Metacritic score, which is much higher than I could have anticipated.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
“He went alone to look in Mirrormere.” - The Book of Mazarbul
Voronwë the Faithful

The current RT rating is identical House of Dragon: 84. The Metacritic score is higher, 72 to 68.

Other than N.E.B.'s comments most of the negative reviews that I have seen sound like nonsense, and the positive reviews mostly sound encouraging. The most encouraging thing is the almost universal complaint that the show is "too slow". I like slow.
Voronwë the Faithful

This extremely positive review at the Daily Beast has a huge spoiler in it.

Amazon’s ‘Lord of the Rings’ Series Is Absolutely Stunning—and Puts ‘House of the Dragon’ to Shame

Only read this if you don't mind a huge spoiler.
Hidden text.
The Rings of Power thus puts Galadriel at odds with her own Elven people, including Elrond (Robert Aramayo), her close diplomat friend who works on her behalf to spare her the full wrath of the High King (Benjamin Walker), who forces Galadriel to accept an early retirement trip through the celestial gates that lead back to their homeland. It’s a fate that strikes Galadriel as akin to death, and that attitude immediately lands her in (literal) tempestuous waters, replete with a run-in with a gigantic sea serpent.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

It’s good. I like it.
Voronwë the Faithful

Did you watch it already? Will you post a more detailed review at some point? Complete with spoilers? Should I start a separate thread?
Dave_LF

Rings of Power Reviews

Post by Dave_LF »

I did. I can write more after I’ve thought a bit, but I’ve got a busy 4 days lined up so someone else might get to it first.

For the same reason, I’m glad it appeared tonight instead of tomorrow—I had September 2 in my head for some reason.

Edit: It probably dropped at what was 12am UTC on Sept 2
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

That said, it’s easy enough to answer specific questions if you have any; at least until I fall asleep. :)
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Glad to hear you liked it, Dave.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Back in time? 😁
I have not seen it yet and I already have very low expectations, but I'm excited to get back to talking and debating Tolkien again if only for a few weeks! (I have forgotten so much of it)

Eitherways, I'm glad we have that Bear McReary soundtrack atleast which I really loved. Even if the show was bad, it wouldn't be a complete waste atleast.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

I saw the first two episodes, and posted my thoughts in V's spoilerish review thread. It dropped at 6 PM Pacific Time (TORC time), and about 4 hours before the timestamp of this post, if your viewer has timestamps. Future episodes will drop, I believe, at 8 PM Pacific Time.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus