Preliminary Thoughts

The Hall of Fire's extended chapter by chapter discussion of Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Merryb, you better participate, since you were the one that started this whole thing!

superwizard, you better participate, too! :x

Al, we'll see how it goes. We might go in that direction yet.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
merrybesq

Post by merrybesq »

Yes, I know! I was just talking longingly of LOTR discussions I used to enjoy...and you were so kind to oblige and create one. :)

I will do my best! (As in -- whenever RL is NOT pulverizing me I will be there.)
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

superwizard, you better participate, too!
Your wish is my command V :)[/url]
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

You should issue more such commands, V! ;)
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Is it too late to join in? I can't promise that I'd have a lot to contribute, but I have been thinking I need to read the books again.

Lali
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

It's not at all too late, Lali. This discussion will go on for years, I expect! Anyone is welcome to jump in at any time.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

It is definitely not too late, Lali. Feel free to comment in any of the existing threads, not just the most current one.

I would LOVE to see you participate in this discussion.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Thank you both. :) I will read tonight and, hopefully, I'll have something to add tomorrow.

Lali
Ghân-buri-Ghân

Post by Ghân-buri-Ghân »

I was wondering whether it would be possible to create a single thread here for discussion of themes in Lord of the Rings that don't necessarily belong in any one particular chapter? I ask this because I mentioned my belief that Sam is the true focal hero of Lord of the Rings (In Chapter 1 discussion), which is why the Gamgees "bookend" the novel, and Holbytla responded by asserting that Aragorn was, in fact, the main protagonist. I would like to explore this difference of opinion, but feel that it does not fit in a "chapter by chapter" format.

If there already is a separate arena for such discussions, then please forgive this neophyte's lack of cognisance!

On reflection, I see that the "Shibboleth" is probably just such a place for this area of discussion.
tenebris lux
Voronwë the Faithful

Yes, quite right. You may want to check out this thread from earlier this year about Sam: The Humanity of Sam.

And, of course, you are more than welcome (indeed encouraged!) to start new threads there on any aspect of The Lord of the Rings or Tolkien's work in general.
Voronwë the Faithful

So, would folks be interested in continuing through the book? The next chapter up would be Book 2, Chapter 5 - "The Bridge of Khazâd-dûm". If at least five people post that they would be interested in continuing the discussion, I will work on an opinion post on that chapter (unless someone else wants to volunteer to do it!).

Either way, folks should feel free to continue to comment on the existing threads.
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Count me in:

:read:
Voronwë the Faithful

Excellent. Love that smiley.
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

I'm in!
Voronwë the Faithful

Excellent! That's two!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I'm in. No, really, I'm in. I've been itching to start LotR again, and I'm trying to spend more time reading every day.

Given that I can't contribute on the level of the rest of you, that's two and a half. :P
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

Yay! That's three. We're more than halfway there (I suppose in a pitch I could even count myself as one).
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I'll do my usual. Promise to get involved and then promptly get too busy to contribute!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I'd like to get involved - guess I need something to do now I've finished the 'other' project - 'though I'm not sure I'll have much to contribute compared to others.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Alatar wrote:I'll do my usual. Promise to get involved and then promptly get too busy to contribute!
Yeah, that's my plan, too. :blackeye:
I'll contribute an occasional post, but I know I can't carry the discussion. So, +0.25?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!