Paperback edition!

A forum for discussion of Voronwë's book, Arda Reconstructed: The Creation of the Published Silmarillion
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Paperback edition!

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I'm happy to report that the paperback edition of Arda Reconstructed is scheduled to be released on June 28, 2011. The list price is $32.95, approximately half the list price of the hardcover. I'm hoping that Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc. will discount it similarly to the way they did the hardcover, which would mean that it should be available for less than $25, though I don't know. Sadly, I wasn't able to make any changes at all; the only thing different will be a new cover (though still using Breogan's wonderful illustration of Finwë and Míriel).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

That's exciting news, Voronwë! :woohoo:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

:love:

:hug:

That's wonderful news! And a testament to the success of your book, too.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

Here's a link to the page for the book at the new publisher's website:

Arda Reconstructed (Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc.)

Note the review excerpts. Shorter excerpts will be included on the back cover (replacing the author picture).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Cool, Voronwë! (Though there are some typos on the page that ought to be fixed.)

And I love the name-drop for the Hall of Fire!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Congrats V!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Great news! many congratulations, V :)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Wonderful news Voronwë.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Great news, V, congratulations! :horse:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

:drummer: :drummer: :drummer: :drummer:
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

Turns out I'll be able to fix 20 typos (which while not great, is certainly infinitely than nothing). And I got to see the text for the back cover, which is cool. What the heck, I'll post it here:
Douglas Kane minutely details the delicate task Christopher [Tolkien] undertook in stitching together elements of his father’s oeuvre . . . . Kane’s textual scholarship is rigorous and is a model not only for Tolkien scholars but for scholars of more canonical authors, whose textual study is often pursued with less enthusiasm. . . . [An] absorbing study." —Nicholas Birns, Tolkien Studies: An Annual Scholarly Review, Vol. 5

"One marvels at the amount of work Kane has invested in his project and appreciates the rigor with which it is documented. . . . [A] meticulously researched and valuable new reference work (one of all too few) on The Simarillion . . . it has the added benefit of approaching the work from the relatively new angle of considering Christopher’s role as a vigorous editor, and Kane is to be congratulated for confronting the matter directly." —Jason Fisher, Mythlore (the Journal of the Mythopoeic Society)

"This is much more than a tabulation of sources. . . . Arda Reconstructed is an important and thought-provoking work and raises serious questions about the treatment of unpublished—and unfinished—literary material. Even if one by no means agrees with all of its answers, it merits a place on the shelf of the more serious explorer of Tolkien’s imagined world." —Charles Noad, The LoTR Plaza; author of "On the Construction of The Silmarillion"

"Douglas Kane reveals, in even more detail than has previously been available, the complexity of The Silmarillion; and in doing so, also brings into focus the intractable problems Christopher Tolkien faced in making its publication a reality in a form that reflected the "Silmarillion" material in all its breadth and depth. . . . Arda Reconstructed is highly illuminating and very enjoyable to read, shedding much light on The Silmarillion." —Brian Henderson, The Tolkien Library

"Arda Reconstructed . . . is probably the most extensive analysis of The History of Middle-earth so far undertaken." —The Literary Encyclopedia

"All in all a wonderful piece of research with many insights into how The Silmarillion was put together by Christopher Tolkien. . . . [A] worthwhile purchase for the Tolkien fan and perhaps essential for the Silmarillion fan." —Robert H. Walker, Amon Hen, the bulletin of The Tolkien Society

"Arda Reconstructed is invaluable, as it gives us a sure guide to what is authorial and what is editorial in . . . The Silmarillion. . . . That scholarly usefulness is however, I believe, only part of what this book has to offer. This painstakingly detailed and accurate study is also potentially of the greatest use to those engaging creatively with Tolkien’s work. Arda Reconstructed’s ability to point to more expansive versions in the HoMe series is ideal for anyone wanting or needing more information than the often spare Silmarillion." —Ruth Lacon, The Festival of the Shire Journal

Douglas Charles Kane is an attorney specializing in employment discrimination and harassment cases and co-founder of the Tolkien Internet discussion site, http://www.thehalloffire.net

Cover illustration: The spirit of Míriel appearing before Mandos and Manwë, and taking a last look at Finwë. By Anushka Mouriño. Courtesy of the artist.

Lehigh University Press

For orders and information please contact

The Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group, Inc.

4501 Forbes Boulevard, Suite 200

Lanham, Maryland 20706

1-800-462-6420

www.rowmanlittlefield.com
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Coooooooooool! 8)

Seriously, that is awesome. I think I have seen all those reviews, one by one, but cumulatively they are, well, stunning. Congratulations! Again! :hug:

. . . Love the shout-out for the Hall of Fire, too, of course. :D
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Most impressive. What's really cool is that you even bother to bandy crooked words with witless worms online at all. 8)
Voronwë the Faithful

The book came out of bandying words (not crooked, and certainly not with any witless worms) right here at HoF!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Ooh, I missed this, congrats, V-dude! :cheers:

I particularly agree with Mahima: :drummer: :drummer: :drummer: :drummer:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Voronwë the Steadfast wrote:The book came out of bandying words (not crooked, and certainly not with any witless worms) right here at HoF!
I don't know about all that... We're just glad to know you!
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

How did I miss this the first time around?? V, a paperback edition is GREAT! A real testament to you and your book! And those reviews!!

!wow!

:bow: :bow: :bow:

So happy for you!
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Wow, Sir V! How exciting!! Congratulations!

:hooray:
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
Voronwë the Faithful

Thanks, my friend. :)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It just fills me with pride that we knew you when. And yelled at you about the value of those thread posts. And that you listened. And that you did the incredible work involved in turning those posts into the resulting book. And then did the even more incredible work of sending it out, and out, and out, until it found its home.

You are deservedly a star, Voronwë.