Voting concerns for the upcoming election

Discussions of and about the historic 2008 U.S. Presidential Election
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

The turnout may be somewhat suspicious, but the voting percentages aren't I don't think. Palin being on the ticket surely would eclipse the fact that Obama ran better in most states than Kerry. And the totals do not reflect the 55,000 absentee ballots which is a lot more than previous years.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I'm waiting to see the final count with absentees before I call shenanigans. But Alaska is the one state where (if the current counts hold) the polling was spectacularly off.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Well then lets see and count those absentee ballots. For the life of me I cannot understand why some communities - like the one I live in - can count the absentee ballots the same hour they count everything else and have 100% of the vote totals on Tuesday night... while others take days, weeks or even more than a month. That just screams that something is not right.

Maybe the Alaskan Governor should take some of those billions in oil money she taxes each year and hire a few more people to count those votes next time in a more timely manner. Of course, redistribution of wealth from the haves to the have nots is the Alaskan philosophy.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

I don't believe absentee ballots are counted at all unless there is a slim margin of victory. Or leastways, they are not given a priority if the number of ballots can't change the outcome of an election.
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

In Michigan they are counted. In my local community, they are counted the same evening that they get the totals from the voting machines. The clerk can even break it down for you in terms of what votes came from what sources.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

The Anchorage Daily News also thinks something smells fishy about the Alaskan vote returns.

http://www.adn.com/politics/story/582698.html

You would think they are in a position to know.