2016 United States Election

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: 2016 United States Election

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

When I was listening to NPR this morning, I missed the Trump supporter, and instead heard their interview with the Clinton supporter, who I thought sounded very rational and compassionate. She was not an enthusiastic Clinton supporter, but she was definitely voting for Clinton instead just against Trump (although she sounded horrified by Trump).

ETA: Griffy, that was a fascinating and very illuminating post.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Griffin, I think you used to have a more compassionate view of (at least some) Trump supporters? I think there might be a substantial portion of people voting for Trump because he doesn't represent (to them) the system that has shafted them so thoroughly, and their anger allows them to overlook his flaws. Their despair has made him acceptable.

yovargas wrote:Did anybody listen to NPR this morning? There was an interview with a Trump supporter about his views. The man, he just sounded so terrified. He seemed to genuinely believe that the country was being overrun by waves of violence and terrorism (from immigrants and Muslims, of course) and that his child's life was personally no longer safe in this country. This despite, as the interviewer pointed out, that our country is at historically low levels of violence and crime. He was preparing for the war that he expected to break out if Hillary won because "patriots" (his word) would have to take back their country. It's such a profoundly distorted view of reality, I have a hard time comprehending how one gets to that place. :neutral:
I've actually been worried, also, about war breaking out, but I've pictured it being if Trump wins. There has been violence already, by protesters at his events. When you consider the fever pitch this fear of Trump is reaching, it begs consideration of the logical outcome. If people really believe this man represents an existential threat to the country, the world -- what will they not do to prevent it from happening? Would you (general 'you') welcome a military takeover rather than a Trump presidency? A suspension of the Constitution to prevent a Trump presidency? I think there will likely be blood in the streets if Trump wins the election.

As for the Trump supporter who thinks his child's life is no longer safe in this country -- I'd have to agree, when you consider that anyone can be shot by anyone at anytime and that sex trafficking is the largest growth industry in the world. But I guess that's neither here nor there.

As for the debate, it's inconceivable to me that Trump will not end up looking like a fool. The question is, will it matter?
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Well, apparently there are groups on both sides who think the opponent represents an existential threat to the country.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

I have a Facebook acquaintance - an intelligent, compassionate, otherwise rational man - who is voting for Trump. He feels that "the Clintons have had their chance" and what the country needs is a businessman who can "get the economy going again." He feels that Obama has been a "disaster" for the economy and jobs. He acknowledges Trump's (many) shortcomings, but feels that there will be enough "checks and balances" to keep him from doing anything really horrible. He says that he thinks Trump is "real."

No amount of facts will sway his decision. In my opinion, he KNOWS Trump is a horrible person but he is so sick of the "status quo" and the Clintons are such an anethema to him that he is willing to take a chance.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I have the same horrible, sinking feeling I had in 2000 and 2004, and both times I was right to have it.

I'm literally praying that I'll turn out to be wrong.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

John Oliver does a pretty good piece on the levels of scandal and truthfulness of both candidates.
There is no doubt, however, as to which one he prefers.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

**watches video**

For the zillionth time, still amazed the email thing has remained such a big deal for so long.
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Because it sounds sinister to anyone who has no clue what it means and no interest in finding out.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I hate to say this, but "Donald's" move of "Secretary Clinton" was quite astute...
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Who's watching? Anyone want to jump off a bridge yet?
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I lasted about 5 seconds. I'll just watch the gifs later.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I'm watching. I think she's doing a good job.
But he's not going to lose any support, either. But then I didn't expect that. What about the undecideds?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

yovargas wrote:Who's watching? Anyone want to jump off a bridge yet?
I meet my annual sh*tshow tolerance every time I feed my daughter dinner. Which still needs to happen tonight...
When you can do nothing what can you do?
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

He's not really making the kind of fool of himself that i was hoping for. I don't see this changing almost anyone's opinion one or the other.
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Some days I wonder if this is what it felt like to be a German Jew in 1930s. :(

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Hillary did a great job. But yes, I don't see anyone changing their mind about either of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

It was never possible for Hillary Clinton to win this debate unless she completely whacked it out of the ballpark, because presenting as a rational, coherent, knowledgeable and competent candidate was only ever going to meet expectations.

As I said months ago, Trump is very likely to win the Presidency despite all; despite ALL.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

NO. Please. I want to go on living here. British Columbia is beautiful and all, but Mr. Prim would not have a job waiting.

I do think she did pretty well, and he did pretty badly. I'm still willing to hold my breath.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

This keeps popping into my head:

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Whenever the focus is on Clinton (as it has been in the last couple of weeks), Trump gains, and when the focus is on Trump (like after the conventions), Clinton gains. The best thing either candidate can do is try to keep themselves out of the news as much as possible.

But all in all, I'd still rather be Clinton than Trump. At Trump's best, the race is tied. At Clinton's best, she's edging into landslide territory. Of course, the polls could continue to move in Trump's favour and put him ahead, but the reverse is just as likely given how volatile the race has been.